R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-28-2005, 08:33 PM   #1
Tech Master

Default Does track surface influence tire wear rate?

My question is that does a tire wear faster on a high grip track than a low traction track? The track in question are: carpet, unprepped ashpalt and dusty concrete track.

Thanks.

CE!

Last edited by centax error!; 06-29-2005 at 02:55 AM.
centax error! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 08:46 PM   #2
Tech Elite

With the same setup on both track, a high traction track will wear faster. BUT with a fast setup on a low-traction track, I think the lowertraction track will wear tires faster. Assuming we are talking about asphalt.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 08:51 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

depends on the abrasiveness of the surface, you can have low traction, low wear and high traction high wear and vice versa.
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:24 AM   #4
TEM
Tech Regular

Lets not forget temperature. If it was real hot, but traction is low, you might need to run a lower temp tire thats softer to get more bite. Can use a diff insert to help with over heating issue, but still beats the crap out of the tires.
TEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:33 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Well, I would say if we ran on ice, the tire wear would be pretty low, because its slippery.

ON a high bite track, like unsealed asphalt: tire wear is going to be greater.

That basically answers the main question.

Now, when thinking about temperature (not considered in the Ice track example) on a sealed asphalt track, it can play a huge role in tire wear when the actual "bite" of the surface really hasn't changed much. Incase you didn't know, sealed asphalt is a bit slick, unless prepped. We use grape soda, and it works very well. however, if the track heats up beyond the recommended zone for the tire, you can see dramatic wear in the form of blistering and peeling.

All things being equal, as in temperature of track, then which type of surface would cause the most wear on a tire? Well say the track temp was 95 degrees F, and we were using sorex 36's (which is about perfect for them) It is my opinion that of all the surfaces, the unsealed asphalt will cause the most wear. This is assuming that you had layouts that were the same, and even possibly had different set-ups so you could make the same corners at the same speed. (in this scenario we have multiple tracks of different surfaces layed out the same, and they are the same size-identical tracks, at the same temp) THis has been my experience running on the two different surfaces.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:40 AM   #6
Tech Master

when it comes to carpet, I find foams wear more on low bite tracks. Due mostly to the car sliding around on you. I was shocked at my first big carpet race when my tires didn't wear much at all due to the high grip.
(978) 416-2572
Hyperform Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:57 AM   #7
Tech Master

after reading aall the replies, is it safe to say - the higher the traction the higher the rate of wear and the lower the traction the lesser rate?
centax error! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:49 AM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by centax error!
after reading aall the replies, is it safe to say - the higher the traction the higher the rate of wear and the lower the traction the lesser rate?
Not necessarily,reason being that if the track is of very low grip,If you don't control you finger well enough and slide here and there,then the tire wear will be higher than if the track is full of grip,where there will be very little slide.This will reduce the wear rate also.

Just my few cents...
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:34 AM   #9
Tech Elite

I think to have the greatest speed, low-traction unsealed asphalt will wear out tires faster than high traction sealed asphalt.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:51 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

From my own experience, the higher the temps of the track, the faster the tire wear. Regardless of the types of tire used. Though using the right tire for the temperature will reduce the wear rate.

But in general tires tend to wear slower in lower temp conditions. Even if it means you're using a softer tire in cooler climate. I've used one set of tires for 2 full days of practice and racing in air conditioned carpet (prob 22-27 degs celcius air temps) and at the end of the 2nd day (probably about 20 packs ran), the tire still shows the center seam.

This is my own experience.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:53 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro4Capece
I think to have the greatest speed, low-traction unsealed asphalt will wear out tires faster than high traction sealed asphalt.

Thats the way I see it.
To generate grip on low traction tracks the tyres will wear quicker.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:40 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

And again, it also depends on the texture of the surface you're racing on. In my neck of the woods, we're running on Skid-Not, which a grainy coating that's sprayed onto concrete, definitely provides more grip than the concrete by itself, but I still wouldn't consider it a high-grip surface(but it is INCREDIBLY consistent year-round). But the downside of it is tire wear, it is QUITE abrasive, so you go through tires pretty quickly, regardless of what tire you use. As an example, I pretty much use Take-Off CS22's on it all the time(even this time of year, I just can't quite get the grip I want from anything harder, though I've yet to try some RP's, getting ready to give them a shot soon), & after about 3 or 4 race days(which consists of about 6 or 7 runs for me per race day), I just can't use them on the rear of my car anymore, there's still rubber on them but they lose too much grip by then, so I'll move 'em to the front of the car & put a fresh pair on the rear. It's just the nature of the beast.....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 03:03 PM   #13
Tech Rookie

Default my two cents

From my experence it depends on the track serface and tires. Local track in Scottsdale AZ which is smooth Asphalt. Sorex tires last the longest. 36r in the summer and 32r and 28r in the winter. Tires last about 10-15 runs on a 19T motor. On the Tayima track for the KO race... same tires.... two runs max
JoelXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:17 PM   #14
Tech Elite

What are ya'll considering when you say a tire "last". Is this before the seam shows and the threads are showing, or just before they lose competitive grip?

On grainy asphalt that has low traction with 19turn, I can get about 8 runs on tires before they fall off and show the seam. We starting treating the track a few weeks back, and the tires seem to last a little bit longer. And I can be faster with older tires than before we treated the track.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:48 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro4Capece
What are ya'll considering when you say a tire "last". Is this before the seam shows and the threads are showing, or just before they lose competitive grip?

On grainy asphalt that has low traction with 19turn, I can get about 8 runs on tires before they fall off and show the seam. We starting treating the track a few weeks back, and the tires seem to last a little bit longer. And I can be faster with older tires than before we treated the track.
8 runs?! Thats bad...

When I run mod it takes 20 runs at least out of my tires before the belts even start to show. When I run stock (23T) I get even more runs out of the same set of tires.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote