R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-29-2002, 06:47 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tamiya vs. others

well, i'm wondering why Tamiya bodies are not ROAR legal...

is it cuz they have better downforce? or just better quality?
I really like Tamiya bodies...so realistic and high quality...

I mean sure you can use tamiya bodies in tamiya races, but the places where there are tamiya races are not even close to where i live. and yeah i know i can use a tamiya body cuz most clubs dont care anyway, but why they not roar legal?
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 06:49 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Probably because of their wing sizes, which tend to be to scale, rather than to the regulations.

Also, Tamiya would need to submit a body for it to be approved - if they don't bother, then it wouldn't get on the list.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 11:22 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Sosidge's second responce is the main reason, they probably have never subitted a body for approval. Besides how many people would actually pay an extra $10-$20 just to run a body that looks more realistic??? I mean at that level it's all about preformance not realism.....

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 12:37 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thats exactly what i was thinking...performance! a real car has its aerodynamics already proven by thousands of hours of research... so if you make it exactly to scale then the benefits of those long hours go to you....more downforce. Example: acura RSX... the real one is okay as far as areodymanics is involved, but Mugen spent hundreds of hours testing a body kit for the rsx which gave it a more aggresive setup... Tamiya now made the Mugen rsx body for 1:10 scale... so wouldn't it follow that tamiya mugen rsx is better than the HPI stock rsx?
Aluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 01:41 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Ummm... if you think a vacuum formed polycarbonate shell is going to have the same aerodynamic effect as a full scale bodykitted steel and fibreglass car, you really need to think again.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 01:42 PM   #6
ruf
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ruf

And wouldn't it follow that it's not legal for sanctioned competition? And even if it was, I'd still take a Yokomo Type A "Masami" Stratus over it any day. The physics of our cars are definitely not scale. A lot of the geometry of the "successful" cars today is drawn from experience and a lot of trial and error. Comparing full scale aero to 1/10 is apples and oranges. Now if you give a true aerodynamicist a proven body, ask him to modify it for a particular effect, wind tunnel it, test it, THEN I will believe it's better. But just scaling something down is not the answer.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:53 PM   #7
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to imataquito Send a message via Yahoo to imataquito

agreed........
hm ... aluma ... why not u just try a stratus and some other tamiya bodies judge urself and dont be baised cause it looks better ... just judge on how it feels and hows ur lap times ...
i am sure most of us here have gone tru that stage ...
imataquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 10:41 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by IMPACTPLAYR
it's all about performance not realism.....
.......unfortunately...... form follows function. Watching an RC race is like watching NASCAR. Sure, they're different makes and models, but they all LOOK the same, until you can see the headlight stickers.
Iso Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 12:15 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ROBORAT

its not as simple as just scaling it down. aeordynamics takes into consideration lots of other things (like weight distribution, drivetrain, etc). also consider that in an RC, you pretty much have a lot of hollow space between the body shell and the chassis. so there is definitly some airflow circulating within the RC shell - and that defenitly affects its handling (causing some lift). can you imagine if you were riding inside an RC? avoiding wind blown hair be a serious problem. a real car's interior is sealed to the outside world, so airflow is limited to the exterior of the car. hence it's design was developed with that as a given.

http://www.hobbyhaven.com.my/
ROBORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 12:55 AM   #10
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer
Default Re: Tamiya vs. others

Quote:
Originally posted by Aluma
well, i'm wondering why Tamiya bodies are not ROAR legal...

is it cuz they have better downforce? or just better quality?
I really like Tamiya bodies...so realistic and high quality...

I mean sure you can use tamiya bodies in tamiya races, but the places where there are tamiya races are not even close to where i live. and yeah i know i can use a tamiya body cuz most clubs dont care anyway, but why they not roar legal?
I would also think that with all the extra junk that Tamiya bodies have (all the little dimples and detail stuff) that they would have more drag than the smooth, purpose built bodies by Trinity, Yok (by Andy), Protoform, etc.

Also, from 20 feet, yes, they all look much alike - but from 200 feet, a lot of cars look similar as well. Ours are still purpose built (and tested) for 1/10th racing.
Old 08-30-2002, 07:02 PM   #11
DNQ
Tech Initiate

If I spend the time to build a Tamiya body, for sure it's going to sit on the shelf as a showpiece. Cost is a definite factor in that, since they are more expensive than other bodies. I can't think of any good reason to race one, they are so beautiful when you spend time to do one right.
DNQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 10:08 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Tamiya Bodies...things of beauty

GTPs at the Tamiya Track
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prototypes at tamiya 1.jpg (17.1 KB, 296 views)
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 10:09 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Another pic...I think these are DJB's and RBF's cars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg prototypes at tamiya 2.jpg (21.1 KB, 269 views)
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 02:29 AM   #14
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to imataquito Send a message via Yahoo to imataquito

Quote:
Originally posted by ROBORAT
its not as simple as just scaling it down. aeordynamics takes into consideration lots of other things (like weight distribution, drivetrain, etc). also consider that in an RC, you pretty much have a lot of hollow space between the body shell and the chassis. so there is definitly some airflow circulating within the RC shell - and that defenitly affects its handling (causing some lift). can you imagine if you were riding inside an RC? avoiding wind blown hair be a serious problem. a real car's interior is sealed to the outside world, so airflow is limited to the exterior of the car. hence it's design was developed with that as a given.

yes PERFECTLY RIGHT robo !
imataquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 07:06 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Quote:
GTPs at the Tamiya Track
Beautiful bodies. I have never seen these before. What cars are these bodies for? Were they discontinued?
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote