R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Motor question..

Hey guys i am new on here i recently got a e10 hpi car. i am really enjoying the car i and just wanting to upgrade the motor in it. I am very new to the RC world and dont know much.. i am really jsut wanting to make this car very fast with the minimum amount of work. i was just planning to upgrade the motor system to brushless first and go from there. i really am not trying to go crazy on price but i do want it to be very quick. i just dont know what motor would be best for what im looking for and do i need to just get a moter or do i need a motor and speed controler or will my stock one work with a new brushless motor. would it be bad if i jsut stuck a new motor in it? i am pretty sure it is a 540 can motor sizebut is that all i need to know when buying a motor? which motor would you guys recomend and if needed what speed controller too?

i was looking at a Trinity Speed Gems Amber 15.5T Brushless Motor 1/10 Motor 540 motor.. is this a good choice for the money? im not looking to spend much and i looked up my ESC and it said it worked with 15T or higher.. so id rather not spend the money to upgrade that unless i have to.. but i also want this car to be pretty fast.. thanks
tennisman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
Tech Regular

someone will chime in and explain all the necessary info needed when it comes to mataching motors and ESC's, but I will tell you right now that if you put too much power into the e10 you're going to end up with a pile of little plastic pieces if you don't upgrade the drivetrain to handle a significantly more powerful brushless motor.
Ive seen/heard of people upgrading their motors on the e10 and keeping the stock drivetrain only to find out it can't handle as much power as most other RC cars because of its design/materials.
wareagle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Tech Adept

I'm not familiar with the E10, but from HPI's website it looks like all of them come with a brushed motor. If so, the ESC you've got won't work with a brushless motor. If the motor's only got 2 wires, it's brushed, 3 for brushless. 15.5T sounds like a fairly sane choice for an RTR car, but you'll need a brushless ESC (sensored is better IMHO).
Kevin Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

The e10 was never made to be run fast. Its not in any way a bad car though. As far as the motor you were talking about, you can get a better motor at a better or the same price. If you get a brushless motor you will need to get a brushless esc too though. For just running around and not racing a castle sidewinder sidewinder system would be perfectly fine. If you want cheap sensored a novak club spec or a hobbywing just stock will be more power that that car can handle...but it will be fun!
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

thanks guys yeah im not doing any racing just messing around in big areas for fun my esc says it can handle 15t and up but if i went brushless i would need a brushless esc? ther is no a brushless motor would wok with my esc? ha im just trying to put a little bit faster motor in it without upgrading a ton of stuff becasue i totaly understang the drivetrain stuff and dont want that.. but that motor i was talking about is a 15.5t and 2700kv doesntsound to overpowering but i dont know to much ha. i just was trying to avoid spending a ton of money.. some speed runs with my friends is what im after ha and i will keep my stock motor for drifting fun.. but itsjust not the fastestwith street tires on it..
Old 10-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

how big a difference would it make if i bought a brushed motor that was a 15t instead of the stock 27t? and how much faster would a brushless motor be compared tothe faster brushed motor? my budget is the only thing holding me back ha
Old 10-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisman93 View Post
how big a difference would it make if i bought a brushed motor that was a 15t instead of the stock 27t? and how much faster would a brushless motor be compared tothe faster brushed motor? my budget is the only thing holding me back ha
you can get some pretty quick brushed motors if you can find a double wound brushed motor i had a double wound one in one of my stadium trucks and it was faster then the cheap brushless system in my friends sct so some brushed motors out there are fast just have to find which one
ryanlosifan997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

Check out the Turnigy Trackstar for the biggest bang for your buck in my opinion
Old 10-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisman93 View Post

you'll be pleased with a decent quality 15t brushed motor compared to the 27t Saturn... plus you'll save a bit of coin by not having to buy a brushless ESC if you stick with a brushed motor.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

check out hobbyking.com. you can get into a trackstar brushless system for very cheap. I wouldnt go lower than 10.5T brushless though.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

Thanks this is perfect. i went on hobbykind and found a nice set up its a 12t brushless system for 59.99 not bad and i was going to get a lipo to which would be best and are there any new conectors in gonna have to buy to connect the new battery or will it all conect the same? and what about a upgraded drive train to do you think the stock will hold up for me since im just messing around with it every once in a while and not racing..
Old 10-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #12
Tech Rookie

i am lookingf at a 12t turnagy trackstar and a 16t trunagy trackstar the are 10$ difference and both come with the esc. which would be better would my stock drive trane be able to hande both motors or would the 16t one be better? id rather get the faster one but if its going to blow my drive-train then i dont want it.. and like i said above what lipo is best/cheapest?
Old 10-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #13
Tech Adept

For cheap and good lipos, have a look at the Turnigy Nano-Tech, they are really good.
I'd rather take the 16T motor assuming that you are new to the hobby. A 12T might be too fast for the beginning.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesoman View Post
For cheap and good lipos, have a look at the Turnigy Nano-Tech, they are really good.
I'd rather take the 16T motor assuming that you are new to the hobby. A 12T might be too fast for the beginning.
this.
having too fast of a car for someone new to RC results in frustration like no other. it's best to build your way up, much like in 1:1 racing.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #15
Tech Rookie

what size lipo would be best? like a 2000mahor a 4000mah is one better? and are all the conections the same?