R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)
Default Yokomo SD9 Sport 200mm Electric Touring Car Kit

Just saw this on A-main's site and thinking it could be a nice choice for the VTA class. Thoughts anyone?

This is a Yokomo SD9 Sport 1/10 200mm Electric Touring Car Kit. Based on Yokomo’s drift chassis platform, the SD Sport features a standard shaft drivetrain with a front spool axle and rear ball differential, combined with composite suspension components making it an excellent option as a budget friendly entry into the world of touring cars, as well as high speed parking lot bashing. Other features include a die-cast aluminum clamp style motor mount, double wishbone suspension, lightweight molded shock absorbers, and full ball bearings.
Features:
High efficiency shaft drive 4WD system
High rigidity molded composite chassis
Double wishbone suspension
Front spool axle & rear ball differential
Front universal shaft and rear dog bone
Lightweight molded composite shock absorber and coil spring
Front urethane bumper & rear bumper
Die-cast aluminum clamping motor mount
Ball bearings (17 total)
Specifications:
Length: 387mm
Width: 198mm
Wheelbase: 258mm (Adjustable)
Internal drive ratio: 2.35:1
Weight : 1650g (approx.)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ouring-Car-Kit

Last edited by eddiemoney13; 10-11-2013 at 10:56 AM.
eddiemoney13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

That looks really good for for what it is.

Much rather have this than a tt02
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
That looks really good for for what it is.

Much rather have this than a tt02
Definitely. I was actually checking to see if they carried the BD7 RS yet and came across this. Seemed to have just popped up out of nowhere and there's not much info on the web about it.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Honestly, and this is coming from a huge Yokomo (and shaftie) fan, stay away from it. You would be much better off with the RS or a TB04.

The manual is here.

The immediate minuses are; integral (its part of the drive train) spur gear, outdated steering geometry, outdated suspension geometry, no gear diff options and outdated motor location for a longitudinal shaft car.

The upgrade path would be painful whereas the upgrade path for the RS leads you to one of the top cars out there.

Mike Slaughter
masterhit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Dupe post! Oops!
masterhit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

An old Yokomo re-run from 2003~4. They might have added, changed a few things. I would go with a Tamiya TB03 instead.

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Back in the Day when I was Young I'm not a Kid any more.

I'm so glad they came back with this car. I had this car about 10 years ago. It started out with the SSG, Then I got a Rayspeed conversion, then the CGM conversion which was the plateform for the Drift Car. They say that the SD9 comes from there Drift car but it all started with that conversion kit. I got back into racing onroad about 3 years ago. I was looking for a Yok SD because that was the last car I drove when I got out in 2004. All of them were really high in price including the parts or hard to find the both. So when I saw the car on AMAIN I bought it. Over the weekend I stopped over at Ultimate Hobbies in Orange because I knew they had a few parts left over from back in the day. I bought there last Yokomo Graphite CGM conversion kit and all of the SD parts that would fit at 50% off. From what AMAIN tells me they will have a full parts selection for the SD9 so all these guys selling SD parts for high prices GAME OVER. Guys who still have the car from back in the day will be able to get parts. Only thing I'm a little annoyed with is the car is 200mm so driving the car will be stable and excellent in GT and large parking lot tracks. For me I'll be running this car in GT class Grand Club Race at Tamiya this month..
marshallsbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Back in the Day when I was Young I'm not a Kid any more.

I'm so glad they came back with this car. I had this car about 10 years ago. It started out with the SSG, Then I got a Rayspeed conversion, then the CGM conversion which was the plateform for the Drift Car. They say that the SD9 comes from there Drift car but it all started with that conversion kit. I got back into racing onroad about 3 years ago. I was looking for a Yok SD because that was the last car I drove when I got out in 2004. All of them were really high in price including the parts or hard to find the both. So when I saw the car on AMAIN I bought it. Over the weekend I stopped over at Ultimate Hobbies in Orange because I knew they had a few parts left over from back in the day. I bought there last Yokomo Graphite CGM conversion kit and all of the SD parts that would fit at 50% off. From what AMAIN tells me they will have a full parts selection for the SD9 so all these guys selling SD parts for high prices GAME OVER. Guys who still have the car from back in the day will be able to get parts. Only thing I'm a little annoyed with is the car is 200mm so driving the car will be stable and excellent in GT and large parking lot tracks. For me I'll be running this car in GT class Grand Club Race at Tamiya this month..
marshallsbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It is what it is. An excellent shaft car from the TC3, TC4 era, that is on par with those cars and with comparable upgrades. (Better in my opinion)

I love my old SD. It is a very stable very neutral car. In VTA it can ACE just fine.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:18 PM   #10
TOJ
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default new yokomo sd releases

does anybody know why the new production releases of Yokomo MR4TC-SD eg: Drift Package,Type C, SD Sports uses Self Tapping Phillips Screws instead of the usual 3mm Allen Screws? Is this an improvement over the traditional 3mm allen? could it be that the Philips Screw threads are farther apart with deeper & sharper threads thats cuts a deeper thread on the parts that makes a tougher hold against stripping on impact compare the 3mm shortrer thread that are have more threads per inch and makes a thinner thread on the parts?

Also does the new Plastic Parts of new Yokomo SD now which are manufactured for drifting and club racing are more brittle (that they needed phillips self tapping screws) than than those Plastic parts of SD released 8 to 10 years ago which are tough as been tested since they are manufactured internded for touring car racing? because wayback those days MR4TC SD used to be for high end modified T.C. racing.
TOJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:53 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't think Yokomo was thinking about improving any screws for these low budget sets from the high-quality race kits from ten years ago. My guess is: these Phillips screws are just simply cheaper for them.
DirkW is online now   Reply With Quote