R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-03-2005, 10:56 AM   #61
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Wow, this thread got even more technical. I guess there's more than one way to maintain a battery. Kinda getting hard to sort through who is right and who is wrong. I guess I'll have to find out myself eventually. Anyway, what do you guys think of this:

trinity absolute zero discharge tray/conditioner

I'm thinking of getting it. I want to get one more last opinion before I send this guy is money. It sounds good from what he tells me.
Aries326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 12:44 PM   #62
Tech Rookie

If your storing your packs on a tray why buy the Zero 30 or even the Zero 6? Doesn't the Zero-Equalizer do the same thing? Plus it is only $20 instead of the $70 or $33 it cost for the other ones. It is nice to know that people are pulling their packs from their cars and putting them strait into the Zero 30. I might look into doing this when I get a good matched set of batteries.

Is there anything wrong with discharging at 20a instead of 30a for Stock? Right now I have a 20a bulb discharger and a Zero-Equalizer tray. If this ends up being a problem I will use this setup for now, but when I purchase my new cells I will find a better solution like using the Zero 30. Most recommendations I have seen from battery manufactures say to discharge at the same rate that the car would when it uses the cells. The discharge rate varies based on track conditions (IE. carpet or asphalt) and car setup. 30a is basically the max discharge for the cells and going above that would overheat the cells quickly and could make them explode. The batman gets around the heat issue by discharging in cycles so that the cells won't overheat.

More is not always better. Finding the middle ground for someone who is going to sport race for fun and doesn't want to sink more money into the sport when they don't have too is the best option. I would be interested in an ICC charger if that ment I would spend less money buying new cells every few months.

Tzsu
Tzsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 02:46 PM   #63
Tech Elite

My concern is the one raised earlier.

I run 4cell, so the unit dischargers are not an option.

If i put my cells, after racing and cooling, on the zero thirty, and one light is already out, what is happening while all the others are discharging?

Would I be better getting something like the rayspeed that has an actual 0.9v cutoff??
BritRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 02:48 PM   #64
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to crimson eagle

Tszu,

20 or 30A Discharge?

This is a good question and there is two distinct schools of thought on this.

1. You don't want to discharge your cells at too high a rate as you will shorten the life of the cells.

2. You want to discharge your cells at least at the same rate they discharge in the car to train them to give up their charge that fast.

I don't have any data on this one as it would take a long time be expensive to do. Maybe some of the matchers (or guys with more money and time ) who read this thread can check it out. I will say however that I don't see any noticable difference in cell life by discharging at 30A which I have been doing for nearly 2 years now. Up until then I was using a 20A discharge.

My own thoughts about this is that there is a difference between the heat caused by charging and the heat caused by discharging. When you charge you create heat and pressure in the cell which breaks down the chemicals inside. When you discharge you are releasing the pressure even though the heat is increasing. Heat is definitely the enemy for cell life however to get performance from your cells on the track you need to have some heat in the cells which works as a catalyst for the chemical reactions and increases voltage and lowers IR. As you can see there is a balance to get here. When I charge I like to charge to 110F when feasable. However I live in California, it can hit 110f ambient temp therefore temp charging is a little unfeasable so I just deal with it as best I can.

To digress just a little more Phill Haines (Pro Trak) did a test run on temperature gain in gp3700 cells during different ambient temperatures, he found a temperature gain of 25C (not sure what the conversion to F is) yeilds the best results and it also appeared that an ambient temp of around 25C (approx 78F) works well also. Most interestingly he found that using a peak detect of 0.05v for a 6 cell pack yeilded around a 25C temperature increase over ambient regardless of what that ambient temperature is.

I apologise for the digressions but the heat issue is quite important. If you are interested in the details of Phil's study the website address is in my info below.

Chris.
crimson eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:36 PM   #65
Tech Regular

Default Integy 6s

Hi

Well I have just taken delivery of 2 CDC V6.0B's and 4 Integy 6s trays.

But after reading all I can find, am still not sure of what is the best/safest method of preparing cells for racing, and then discharging, equalising, and storing until next race in a fortnights time.

I am in the unusual position of having 3 sons racing at the same time as myself. So lotsa batteries for race day, and a lot of 'home work" before and after racing.

Have a mix of GP3300 and IB3600's.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Thor_jnb; 07-08-2005 at 12:39 AM.
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 05:45 AM   #66
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritRacer
My concern is the one raised earlier.

I run 4cell, so the unit dischargers are not an option.

If i put my cells, after racing and cooling, on the zero thirty, and one light is already out, what is happening while all the others are discharging?

Would I be better getting something like the rayspeed that has an actual 0.9v cutoff??

Guys I've got to back up here,I'm not sure what I'm seeing,but like Brit racer above I'm seeing the lights go out at different times on my zero thirty? I'm currently deadshorting but am increasingly becoming skeptical to this method as my #s are going haywire and my packs are acting awfully weird.What I need is a sure fire method for dealing with my race packs.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 09:56 PM   #67
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtc3
Does this tray Discharge each cell individually like the Novak Tray? I question it due to the Battery taps, It seems to skip a cell.
Meaning that how does it know if the cell between the taps has been discharged to .9 volts.
I just need a verification, Anybody?

Best Regards

Alex
Alex C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 03:04 AM   #68
Tech Apprentice

The amount of battery taps is just OK

Orion's EQ trays had (have) the same layout. Remember - there are only 7 taps needed to EQ a six-battery pack.
Lokanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 10:13 AM   #69
Tech Elite

I guess it is possible.

Image cells 1,2,3 in the tray. cells 1 and 3 are measured across +ve and -ve. Also the 3 cells are measured.

So you could see the total of 1 and 3 and the difference would be the voltage of 2. But this thing would need very variable discharge rates to equalise cell 2, as it could only be discarged by putting load across the whole pack....not convinced it would be as accurate as an individual cell discharger.
BritRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:31 PM   #70
Tech Rookie

I would like to ask you guys how about a discharge system which has individual cell discharge, cut off voltage adjustment, individual cell voltage display on LCD, adjustable discharge current and selling under US$99?
Maxchow is offline   Reply With Quote