R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-01-2005, 01:05 AM   #31
Tech Fanatic

I'll time it with a volt meter tommorow and let you know!With a 30 amp load I bet it aint 12-15 hrs.
Hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:09 AM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

It doesn't matter. I equalize my cells the night before I race so 10-15 is the allotted time in-between equalizing and charging. I will personally give you my Protrak30 if you can show proof of 0volt equalization of each cell in 5min. DEAL? -JB

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:14 AM   #33
Tech Master

There are trays and trays, and I have learnt at my own expense recently.

In all the years that I have been into RC racing I have always trayed with, either the Orion tray, which brings the cells down to 0.5 volts each, slowly, and recently with the Novak Smart tray, which is adjustable from 0 to 0.9. Since using the smart tray I have always used 0.9 and have never had any issues with my cells.

Having read so much about zeroing and dead shorting I thought I'd give it a try, so I got a couple of dead short trays and put 4 packs on them.

The result. I have ruined 4 packs. OK so they have retained their voltage, even possibly improved it slightly, but they have taken about 100 seconds off the run time - from 550 to 450. This is with GP3300s.

Just as well I tried this on last season's GP3300s and not some new 3700s.

I know how I'll be discharging next season, and it won't be to zero.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:14 AM   #34
Tech Champion

As a matter of fact, after you race a pack keep a 30-amp load on it for 5min and tell us how the battery reacts -JB

Old 07-01-2005, 01:18 AM   #35
Tech Champion

Talking

Hey johnbull how ya doing? There is a difference between 'dead-shorting' and taking your cells to 'zero' volts. Same results, different method. -JB

Old 07-01-2005, 01:20 AM   #36
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee
Hey johnbull how ya doing? There is a difference between 'dead-shorting' and taking your cells to 'zero' volts. Same results, different method. -JB
Yes, I know that. I tried both, and as you say - same results.....knackered cells.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:21 AM   #37
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
As a matter of fact, after you race a pack keep a 30-amp load on it for 5min and tell us how the battery reacts -JB

Are you saying that the zero thirty tray is no good? I see a lot of top drivers using it and they don't seem to have any issue's with it?
Old 07-01-2005, 01:31 AM   #38
Tech Champion

... I've been equalizing to 0volts the same sets of cells for a little over 8-months now, 3300's (Fusions/SMC) with great results. I'm putting over 4200 mah into these 6 packs with about 6 seconds of lost runtime. My secret though is the little equalizing device called the ICS from ProTrak in conjuction with my other trays. Awesome piece of equipment. The equalizing technique is quite different than anything else out there. It 'ripples' thru the cells one by one within milliseconds to give each subsequent cell time to accumulate a little voltage and it does this process until each cell is at 0volts. The result- a 'truly' equalized pack. I'm loving it... -JB

Old 07-01-2005, 01:33 AM   #39
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper1
Are you saying that the zero thirty tray is no good? I see a lot of top drivers using it and they don't seem to have any issue's with it?
Hell no I'm not saying that- hell, I have TWO OF 'EM And I love 'em. I think they're one of the top three out there. -JB

Old 07-01-2005, 01:36 AM   #40
Tech Fanatic

okay! glad to hear what's working for you,but what about the zero thirty? it equalize's to zero also, it just doesn't have the ripple thing a ma jing.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:38 AM   #41
Tech Champion

Quote:
Hell no I'm not saying that- hell, I have TWO OF 'EM And I love 'em. I think they're one of the top three out there. -JB
I thought I cover that question with the above... -JB

Old 07-01-2005, 01:41 AM   #42
MTX
Tech Addict

Just a few question..

How do you guys normally discharge the batteries after the race... can I put straight the battery to the discharger such as novak smart tray. or I need to discharge the batteries at certain amp first before it go to the tray? can some one recommend the best way to take care the batteries after use...
MTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:44 AM   #43
Tech Master

Thanks for the info JayBee.

I have used a Pro trak for many years and swear by it, but I have never used their ICS. It's not a problem getting oneso long as I can convince myself it's not going to do the same.

The readings I gave are in fact from the Pro Trak. I had 10 good packs a month ago. All gave around 550 secs and over, when discharged to 5.4 (0.9 each) on the Pro Trak. Now, the 4 packs I have been messing with, never go above 450.

To be honest, we have always had such good results just discharging and equalising to 0.9 that I don't know why i'm bothering with anything else. I suppose dead shorting is OK for stock where duration is not an issue, but I was thinking in terms of mod.

Thanks for your help anyway.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:44 AM   #44
Tech Champion

Talking

All I do is after I race I put my cells on the INTEGY ZERO THIRTY! until the lights go out and store them like this. Then the night before raceday, I take them out of my battery box, Put them back on the INTEGY ZERO THIRTY OR INTEGY ZERO 6S until I'm ready to charge them at the track... HTH -JB

Old 07-01-2005, 01:47 AM   #45
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbull
Thanks for the info JayBee.

I have used a Pro trak for many years and swear by it, but I have never used their ICS. It's not a problem getting oneso long as I can convince myself it's not going to do the same.

The readings I gave are in fact from the Pro Trak. I had 10 good packs a month ago. All gave around 550 secs and over, when discharged to 5.4 (0.9 each) on the Pro Trak. Now, the 4 packs I have been messing with, never go above 450.

To be honest, we have always had such good results just discharging and equalising to 0.9 that I don't know why i'm bothering with anything else. I suppose dead shorting is OK for stock where duration is not an issue, but I was thinking in terms of mod.

Thanks for your help anyway.
No problem johnbull, I'm sure there's gonna be some BD questions you can answer for me Too bad you can't answer any RDX questions -JB