R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Tech Regular
 
firefoxussr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Naples FL
Posts: 343
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default toy/hobby car is dead, suggestions guidance and wisdom requested

toy/hobby car is dead, suggestions guidance and wisdom requested-rip-ferrari.jpg

Long story.. always loved RC cars... Never had a hobby grade.
Got this Nikko Ferrari F430 (2006 Radio Shack Holiday Special 2100 feet/min!).

After hooning it for two months or so, the second time of running it on a damp/puddled lot...Rx is not good. The receiver exclusively responds from about 1m-3m away (even after using sealed container of rice to dry for 4 days). I think it's time to move on to a real hobby grade car.

I essentially want a car that does the following:
-usable for large paved lot and occasional on-road/track racing
-waterproof to some degree (rains a lot here/trauma of killing my car)
-mid/rear engine, RWD or 4WD
-1/10 w/ 255-260mm WB (lots of body options)
-30mph plus top speed (old car was 22mph+)
-LED lighting capable or prebuilit (run this car at night a lot)
-Prefer speed and precision over drifting/NASCAR
-Can use standard/Tamiya plug & 7.2v

Does this exist:
-4WD where you can simply disconnect the FWD portion for RWD only fun?
(i assume it would be wise to remove the FWD shafts/gear/diff too)
-Tx with multiple model memory?
-Height adjustable suspension (like 4mm variance)
-Waterproofed Rx/servo/ESC.... what happens to the motor if it gets wet? Or is that not really a concern?
-All these 2.4ghz Txs... are they able to work with most popular recievers? i.e. Tamiya reciver works with HPI Tx?

Prospective cars:
-HPI Sprint Sport
-Tamiya TT02
-RGT R2 (recommended by local track owner, hard to find much info... parts hard to find too?)
-TA TC4
-World GT (i don't think this one is suitable for anything but track due to clearance)

Thank you in advance for answers.

RIP Ferrari
__________________
Parking lot heroes: M06, TA05sw, XV01, XRay T1, SC10B
Partially disassembled: HPI Cup Racer, FGX, M04, TA02, TA05 IFS
Newest acquisitions: A210SS Exige, HPI MX-5, Tamiya F40
firefoxussr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 616
Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Default

HPI Sprint 2 Flux. Done. Just need Lipos and charger.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...z-Radio-System
NorCalLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
Tech Addict
 
bizkit1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 743
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefoxussr View Post
Attachment 1120944

Long story.. always loved RC cars... Never had a hobby grade.
Got this Nikko Ferrari F430 (2006 Radio Shack Holiday Special 2100 feet/min!).

After hooning it for two months or so, the second time of running it on a damp/puddled lot...Rx is not good. The receiver exclusively responds from about 1m-3m away (even after using sealed container of rice to dry for 4 days). I think it's time to move on to a real hobby grade car.

I essentially want a car that does the following:
-usable for large paved lot and occasional on-road/track racing
-waterproof to some degree (rains a lot here/trauma of killing my car)
-mid/rear engine, RWD or 4WD
-1/10 w/ 255-260mm WB (lots of body options)
-30mph plus top speed (old car was 22mph+)
-LED lighting capable or prebuilit (run this car at night a lot)
-Prefer speed and precision over drifting/NASCAR
-Can use standard/Tamiya plug & 7.2v

Does this exist:
-4WD where you can simply disconnect the FWD portion for RWD only fun?
(i assume it would be wise to remove the FWD shafts/gear/diff too)
-Tx with multiple model memory?
-Height adjustable suspension (like 4mm variance)
-Waterproofed Rx/servo/ESC.... what happens to the motor if it gets wet? Or is that not really a concern?
-All these 2.4ghz Txs... are they able to work with most popular recievers? i.e. Tamiya reciver works with HPI Tx?

Prospective cars:
-HPI Sprint Sport
-Tamiya TT02
-RGT R2 (recommended by local track owner, hard to find much info... parts hard to find too?)
-TA TC4
-World GT (i don't think this one is suitable for anything but track due to clearance)

Thank you in advance for answers.

RIP Ferrari
Biggest question I would ask is, "Do I plan on racing later on at a local track?" I would go to a local track and see what they have, as far as what they use/stock the most of and ask alot of questions. Just explain to them that you want to get in a certain amount at first and maybe later expand to other cars. Once you buy one, you will buy more... Don't let them throw a rtr car at you, unless that's what you want. It's better to build so that you know how to fix it yourself and learn your car and what you can do with it.

Good luck!!
bizkit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Tech Initiate
 
Biff73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Singapore
Posts: 25
Default

This,add a 26t motor pinion & a set of decent grip tires
http://www.thundertiger.com/product/6576-F.html
__________________
Ofna Hyper GT Xerun 150a EZ 4065 2700kv 4s
Caster SCT10 120A Esc 4pole 540 5600kv S 2s
Team C GT8LE Max8 150a 2200kv 6s
Caster F8T 150a X8PT 1550KV 6S
Caster Fusion EX1.5R/Hobbywing Xerun 150A Trackstar 4068 2560KV SL 4s
Biff73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
Tech Champion
 
ThePanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,052
Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default

my vote would lie on the ae tc4. Otherwise look at a ta06. As far as the transmitter reciever thing, the transmitter will only work with a a rx that is compatible, usually that means from the same brand.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 34
Default

Sprint 2 flux
__________________
It's better to burn out than to fade away
WarWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,104
Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)
Default

tamiya tb04 pro
zaraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Morrisville, NC
Posts: 472
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

I know its not on your list but the Traxxas Rally would be a good choice. It's waterproof, durable, and overpowered, pretty much the basher trifecta.
kawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
Tech Regular
 
firefoxussr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Naples FL
Posts: 343
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
my vote would lie on the ae tc4. Otherwise look at a ta06. As far as the transmitter reciever thing, the transmitter will only work with a a rx that is compatible, usually that means from the same brand.
Thanks for the input. Shame it isn't like BNF airplanes. (The TA06 is awesome)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkit1 View Post
Once you buy one, you will buy more... Don't let them throw a rtr car at you, unless that's what you want. It's better to build so that you know how to fix it yourself and learn your car and what you can do with it.
I did go to two local tracks and a local indoor drift meet up last week.
The TC4 was not recommended for whatever reason (fragility?), when I mentioned liking RWD World GT was recommended, and 4WD Touring recommends were for the RGT R2.

To be honest the appeal of the HPI Sprint RTR series is high. Seems like anything and everything is available. Is the Flux sealed better from water than the Brushed? I would assume so.

I think like in 1/1 cars... a dedicated DD and a dedicated racer is best. Probably a Flux for DD/Touring and then a WGT(or F1) car for racing.
__________________
Parking lot heroes: M06, TA05sw, XV01, XRay T1, SC10B
Partially disassembled: HPI Cup Racer, FGX, M04, TA02, TA05 IFS
Newest acquisitions: A210SS Exige, HPI MX-5, Tamiya F40
firefoxussr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
Tech Champion
 
ThePanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,052
Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default

No car is "waterproof" you will have to dissemble the whole thing and take out all the bearings and dry everything if you want the car to last. I have a sprint, and i dont reccomend it at all, 90% of screw are self tapping and the quality feels questionable.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
Tech Regular
 
firefoxussr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Naples FL
Posts: 343
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
No car is "waterproof" you will have to dissemble the whole thing and take out all the bearings and dry everything if you want the car to last. I have a sprint, and i dont reccomend it at all, 90% of screw are self tapping and the quality feels questionable.
I should clarify... I don't intend to run it in water more than 1-3cm deep (and that's on accident). I did that to my Nikko... now the car is unusable due to receiver malfunction.

Cleaning, maintenance, etc are no issue. Drive it by a shallow puddle and the receiver or motor are toast is a problem.

What is a good alternative to the Sprint?
__________________
Parking lot heroes: M06, TA05sw, XV01, XRay T1, SC10B
Partially disassembled: HPI Cup Racer, FGX, M04, TA02, TA05 IFS
Newest acquisitions: A210SS Exige, HPI MX-5, Tamiya F40
firefoxussr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
Tech Elite
 
asc6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Meridian Idaho
Posts: 3,386
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
No car is "waterproof" you will have to dissemble the whole thing and take out all the bearings and dry everything if you want the car to last. I have a sprint, and i dont reccomend it at all, 90% of screw are self tapping and the quality feels questionable.
x that, you can buy waterproof electronics but anything steel will corrode at some point. Some cars I have do get run in water, but it's either a basher that may only get a shot of wd40 afterward or maybe a nice crawler that I am willing to do a partial tear down to prevent all my money going to rust. Hard core stuff never ever gets wet. Have boats for that.
The cars mentioned are from different realms of the sport so I would narrow down the category / class you want to be involved in then look at the cars only in that category. All can be used for fun of course but if you ever want to "race" with others you will need a similar car. ( tc4 wouldn't race with tt02's )
In any case welcome to the world of hobby level cars.
__________________
"you reach the limit, you touch the limit, then you pass the limit, now there is a new limit"
Ayrton Senna
asc6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 774
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

If your track has a tamiya mini class an m06 pro might be perfect rwd rear motor lots of clearance great for a beginner lots of hop ups and parts support in most areas and super fun and close racing if thy have this class in your area. Plus i is relatively cheap although not super fast unless you throw out the svercan brushed setup and go with a low turn brushless setup
Justin33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #14
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 260
Default

I have two HPI Sprint 2 Flux's and absolutely love them for bashing. However if you're looking for "precision" as you said and if you're going to get serious about racing at the track, you'll want something else. The steering is a bit loose and "erratic" compared to other (Tamiya's) with better layout/designs I think. You can do some mods to make it better and tighter, but as anyone with the Sprint 2 will tell you, it's not great at competitive racing. I've had my Flux that's set up for drifting out in the wet driveway plenty of times and no issues as log as you dry it off with compressed air and keep it WD-40'd.
wareagle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefoxussr View Post
I should clarify... I don't intend to run it in water more than 1-3cm deep (and that's on accident). I did that to my Nikko... now the car is unusable due to receiver malfunction.

Cleaning, maintenance, etc are no issue. Drive it by a shallow puddle and the receiver or motor are toast is a problem.

What is a good alternative to the Sprint?
It only takes a couple of drops of water to get into the receiver or speedo. And you'll be replacing the receiver or speedo. It's never a good idea to let your electronics get wet. Traxxas I believe makes a water proof speed controller. But, you would still have to somehow waterproof your receiver.
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:45 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net