Search
Like Tree26Likes

CRC F1

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default F60 wings

I had to order wings today and found they are on back-order till April. Sorry if I lead any of you to believe that I had them in stock. But we will have them in that April/May time frame.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
Dumper the KS for the help in F1 at the snow birds. Still never got the difference right but did finally managed to get the car to run a few 10.0 laps... In the main.
As for the front ride height you only shim up the carbon plate. 5mm and use kingpins to drop it rest of the way? No extra shims under steering nuckles? That creates Alot of front droop doesn't it? What about ride height at back of chassis & rear of pod what #s you using?
you shim under the carbon plate in the front to lower ride height. the back is on slider pods. snowbirds was 3mm for ride height, uf1 is 4mm. i usually run the back 1/2 mm higher than the front.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Question, is it better to run the servo vertical or horizontal. I have a Futaba S 9650 servo.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by al dente
you shim under the carbon plate in the front to lower ride height. the back is on slider pods. snowbirds was 3mm for ride height, uf1 is 4mm. i usually run the back 1/2 mm higher than the front.
Not quite the information I was asking for. If the front of car only has. 5mm of shims and you use kingpins to adjust the other 1mm ish down. Gives you about 2mm of droop without any additional shims to get it to 4.20mm in front.
I know the rear is on sliders so 4.7 is easy to get... Now what about the chassis at the rear ( shock preload) is it also 4.5ish + how much droop travel?
Old 02-09-2015, 08:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by waltss2k
Big thanks Mark and Dumper
Me too. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2015, 12:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi! At last i tried my wtf1. It was on a high grip asphalt track. Kit setup, height of 4mm front, center and rear. Trackstar 21.5t with 3.0 fdr. I started a new set of Solaris f1 spec tires: Medium (S-TFF0MS1H) front and Soft (S-TFR0SS1S) rear; 10min of additive both front and rear without tire warmer. T-bar front wing with high downforce cover.
The traction was high, speed was really good, the rear end was really planted, i couldn't spin it. BUT i couldn't turn! I had lot of understeer. I had to start all my turns really wide and i would finish them even wider. I tried to play with camber and toe, but nothing worked. Then, after two batteries, i broke the front wing and the game was over for the night.
The rear tires were just a bit worn out, the center ring was still there. The front tire were worn out, the center ring was completely gone and there were small wrinkles on the center part were the tire touches the ground.

Any suggestion? Stiffer center spring? Raise front roll center? Use additive in a different way, more time on the front tires and less on the rears?
Old 02-10-2015, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The .5mm shim I run under the carbon plate is in addition to the two stock shims under the steering block.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You could try a couple of things. First and foremost make sure you are getting full steering throw. Also make sure your servo saver is not giving out.

If those two things are handled you can try a stiffer center spring, reducing rear droop, increasing front droop, stiffer side springs, softer front tires. On carpet I tend to run full front additive. You can also try raising the rear ride height.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by dumper
You could try a couple of things. First and foremost make sure you are getting full steering throw. Also make sure your servo saver is not giving out.

If those two things are handled you can try a stiffer center spring, reducing rear droop, increasing front droop, stiffer side springs, softer front tires. On carpet I tend to run full front additive. You can also try raising the rear ride height.
Thanks for the tips! I will try them next time i go to the track.
I have full steering throw. I had to turn down EPA to 65% both left and right to avoid binding of the front suspension when going full lock. The servo saver is tight.
By the way, I was already using full front additive.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:47 PM
Tech Champion

Building...building...building...Should have it done before the next carpet race at Stockton on Feb 22.

Thanks to Brian Wynn at CRC for all the coaching on the build...Dumper's Speed Shop!!!

Bill
Old 02-13-2015, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by aittam
Thanks for the tips! I will try them next time i go to the track.
I have full steering throw. I had to turn down EPA to 65% both left and right to avoid binding of the front suspension when going full lock. The servo saver is tight.
By the way, I was already using full front additive.
I'd suggest trying tyres that are known to work well on that circuit. With rubber F1 the tyres make a lot of difference to the handling of the car.

Might also be worth post a picture or two of the steering, so we see where and how it is binding. A change in the angle of the steering links could give more ackerman effect and help with steering.

Dumper's suggestions are of course all good to get more steering too
Old 02-14-2015, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

review on track of the CRC WTF1 for RCF1.fr in french
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by dumper

Last friday i tried different things:
1) increase caster (2 washers back);
2) stiffer center spring (copper);
3) stiffer side springs (.60);
4) 10min of additive on the front tires and 5min on the rears.
But nothing changed.

The mod that got me the best result was adding 15% of drag brake to the esc.
But still not enough steering.

Would moving the battery backward (closer to the motor) improve steering?

At the end of the day i broke both left and right steering block in a single crash...

As soon as i replace the broken parts i will post some pics of the front suspension.

Last edited by aittam; 02-16-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:33 AM
Tech Champion

Hi! At last i tried my wtf1. It was on a high grip asphalt track. Kit setup, height of 4mm front, center and rear. Trackstar 21.5t with 3.0 fdr. I started a new set of Solaris f1 spec tires: Medium (S-TFF0MS1H) front and Soft (S-TFR0SS1S) rear; 10min of additive both front and rear without tire warmer. T-bar front wing with high downforce cover.
The traction was high, speed was really good, the rear end was really planted, i couldn't spin it. BUT i couldn't turn! I had lot of understeer. I had to start all my turns really wide and i would finish them even wider. I tried to play with camber and toe, but nothing worked. Then, after two batteries, i broke the front wing and the game was over for the night.
The rear tires were just a bit worn out, the center ring was still there. The front tire were worn out, the center ring was completely gone and there were small wrinkles on the center part were the tire touches the ground.

Any suggestion? Stiffer center spring? Raise front roll center? Use additive in a different way, more time on the front tires and less on the rears?
Try a little drag brake and let off a little going into the corners. Rubber tires in general just don't have enough grip for the light weight pan cars so the front tires tend to get over driven and just scrub until you can get the car down to a speed where the tires will grip. Also try less droop in the rear.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:17 PM
Tech Champion

Last friday i tried different things:
1) increase caster (2 washers back);
2) stiffer center spring (copper);
3) stiffer side springs (.60);
4) 10min of additive on the front tires and 5min on the rears.
But nothing changed.

The mod that got me the best result was adding 15% of drag brake to the esc.
But still not enough steering.

Would moving the battery backward (closer to the motor) improve steering?

At the end of the day i broke both left and right steering block in a single crash...

As soon as i replace the broken parts i will post some pics of the front suspension.

Good things to try...But, increasing caster would be "two washers forward" (to move the upper arms back).

What surface are you racing on?

Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.