Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree24Likes

CRC F1

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 11:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Still Bill
Good things to try...But, increasing caster would be "two washers forward" (to move the upper arms back).

What surface are you racing on?

Bill
Hi, we race on a high bite asphalt track. At the end of the day it gets really sticky and rubberized.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Good things to try...But, increasing caster would be "two washers forward" (to move the upper arms back).

What surface are you racing on?

Bill
A few things that have got my WTF-1 working sooooo much better on carpet has been:

1) Full (-) Castor. AKA all washers forward.
2) 1.5deg (-) camber
3) .50 front springs
4) 30wt oil and purple spring on the middle shock.
5) Most important thing is droop... start at 1.5mm and increase till steering becomes more reactive but not twitchy.

Oh yeah... 15-25% drag brake.

Last edited by YoDog; 02-17-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Nice post YoDog. That is exactly how my new WTF-1 is setup for its first race...except the caster which will have the upper arms in the middle (one washer on each side).

We will be at the Stockton Fairgrounds for F1 racing on carpet this Sunday, Feb 22.

Bill
Old 02-17-2015, 08:42 PM
Tech Master

Nice post YoDog. That is exactly how my new WTF-1 is setup for its first race...except the caster which will have the upper arms in the middle (one washer on each side).

We will be at the Stockton Fairgrounds for F1 racing on carpet this Sunday, Feb 22.

Bill
I wish I could make it up there but I'm no longer in Fresno these days.
Since moving to Santa Barbara, I frequent TQ and Camarillo more and more.
I had been struggling with inconsistent front grip for quite a while but when I dug in my heals and really looked at what was happening, I realized that the weight wasn't transferring forward fast enough at turn in so the car would push terribly at higher speeds. Once I realized this, it was much easier to decide what to change. Now if I can get more durable steering knuckles, I'll be a really happy camper.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:39 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by YoDog
Now if I can get more durable steering knuckles, I'll be a really happy camper.
Buy a CRC WTF-1 and I will show you Dumper's steering knuckle trick...LOL

Bill
Old 02-18-2015, 12:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Does battery position affect steering?
What is the difference between:
- front battery, esc in the back
- front esc, battery in the back
Thanks.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Buy a CRC WTF-1 and I will show you Dumper's steering knuckle trick...LOL

Bill
Ohh Bill... I was one of the first to buy the WTF-1
Can you post some pics?

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2015, 09:02 PM
Tech Champion

Can you post some pics?

Thanks!
And I was one of the first to buy the GenX-10 Pro when it was a 13.5 with a 2S battery pack...fast, fast, fast.

Just finished putting a D4 21.5 motor in the WTF-1; so, it is nearly done. Only need some titanium steering links from Lunsford (which should arrive tomorrow); TOP ball cups; paint the driver; add ballast to bring the puppy up to legal weight and balance the chassis; and, figure out the gearing.

Heading out to the garage to take pics now.............Back from my garage and here are the results.

That is a Hobbywing Just Stock ESC. At under $50, this is the lowest cost ESC I have ever owned...By several times...LOL

Do have a new Ferrari F-60 body from TQ Racing to paint and sticker up properly. The pictured body is just something to get the car on the track this weekend...OK, it's a hack job...more LOL.

In my real racing days, I always drove formula cars; so, it is about time that I finally got one of these.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails CRC F1-f1-001.jpg   CRC F1-f1-003.jpg   CRC F1-f1-004.jpg   CRC F1-f1-005.jpg  
Old 02-18-2015, 09:27 PM
Tech Champion

Can you post some pics?

Thanks!
YoDog,

Before installing the #1544 Upper Arm/Steering Block Ball into the #3221 Steering Block, Dumper reminded me to increase the size of the opening in the Steering Block to prevent the Ball from coming into contact with the edge of the opening.

Actually, this trick works for all CRC pan cars with the newer front ends. I have been doing this for years with great results in durability on my WGT cars.

I use a small rat tail hobby file to do this modification to the Steering Block.

Bill
Old 02-18-2015, 10:12 PM
Tech Master

YoDog,

Before installing the #1544 Upper Arm/Steering Block Ball into the #3221 Steering Block, Dumper reminded me to increase the size of the opening in the Steering Block to prevent the Ball from coming into contact with the edge of the opening.

Actually, this trick works for all CRC pan cars with the newer front ends. I have been doing this for years with great results in durability on my WGT cars.

I use a small rat tail hobby file to do this modification to the Steering Block.

Bill
Thanks Bill, I'll give that a try.
Something else that I just added is replacing the rear most screws holding the pivot block to the lower suspension plate with longer screws through 8mm long standoffs that act as steering stops since the WTF-1 doesn't have anything to prevent the steering blocks from over rotating. So far so good.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Thanks Bill, I'll give that a try.
Something else that I just added is replacing the rear most screws holding the pivot block to the lower suspension plate with longer screws through 8mm long standoffs that act as steering stops since the WTF-1 doesn't have anything to prevent the steering blocks from over rotating. So far so good.
I used long ball studs for the same effect. Have only lost one knuckle since, but I sheared the pin in that one, lol.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:54 AM
Tech Champion

YoDog,

Bill
How much material are you taking off?
Old 02-19-2015, 09:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

It will be interesting to see how the car behaves now that its up to weight. I had to add 62 grams.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

At the birds I added a good thick layer of rubberized glue (I got it from DD audio) to keep it from cracking. And glued the threaded cap into the nuckles. I had some hard hits in the quals and never broke them... But when they do I will open up the slot cause that is what looks to be what breaks them... I can see a spot where it looks to have made a dent in the plastic but after adding the rib of glue over the top it didn't break
Old 02-19-2015, 09:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

What is the legal weight ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.