R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Motor cooling setup/wiring (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/763487-motor-cooling-setup-wiring.html)

ROB784 10-07-2013 10:17 PM

Motor cooling setup/wiring

Hi All,

I've got a couple of fans on their way which I'm planning on installing in both my on-road and off-road cars. They'll be running in stock 17.5 and at my tracks I have to run pretty low FDR's to be competitive (so gearing for cooling isn't an option).

My question is, what's the best place to wire these from?

I've currently got smaller fans piggy backing off of the ESC fan but am I right in assuming that the ESC fan has some sort of speed control linked with the ESC temp?

Would the best place be to wire them into the positive and negative wires on the ESC? Not that it makes any difference I'm using SP Reventon Stock ESC's and the tourer will be running 2 40mm fans while the buggy will be running a single 40mm.

PROMODVETTE 10-07-2013 10:33 PM

Depends on the voltage of the fan. You can either go into one of the auxiliary ports of your receiver or go directly to the battery wire if it is a high voltage fan.

ROB784 10-07-2013 10:46 PM

Supposed to be 5-7.5v at 0.37A per fan. Not too sure what my cheap 2ch Spektrum receiver can chuck out.

sashimi999 10-07-2013 11:43 PM

just plug it into any spare slot on your receiver then all done.

ROB784 10-08-2013 12:03 AM

This is from the SP ESC manual.

The voltage of fan socket on the ESC is equal tothe voltage of the battery. It is directly supplied without any regulation. Please keep in mind that the voltage of battery CANNOT exceed the voltage limit of the fan, 7.2V.

Since I'm already using the receiver bind port for the transponder I think I'll just keep piggy backing off of the ESC fan as it looks like it's just straight of the battery anyway.

roche.hk 10-08-2013 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by ROB784 (Post 12613246)
This is from the SP ESC manual.

The voltage of fan socket on the ESC is equal tothe voltage of the battery. It is directly supplied without any regulation. Please keep in mind that the voltage of battery CANNOT exceed the voltage limit of the fan, 7.2V.

Since I'm already using the receiver bind port for the transponder I think I'll just keep piggy backing off of the ESC fan as it looks like it's just straight of the battery anyway.

Just be-careful as most fan use 6.0V. So the safe way is to connect it to any extra pot in the receiver.

ROB784 10-10-2013 10:54 PM

little bit confusing, the two fans didn't work off of the esc, just sat there so I quickly unplugged it, they work fine off of the receiver so I've just moved the transponder to the esc.

Strangely though the fan I got for the buggy was slower than the speed passion one I had. The speed passion one also actually works off of the ESC and runs 10 times faster than it does on the receiver so I'm just leaving it as is.

As for the TC, the two 40mm fans even at what seems to be a low speed have the motor running ice cold even with it geared up :D.