R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Wheel Not Turning!

Hello fellow forum users,

To start off, I am new to RCTech, but am in need with some assistance if anyone would know the answer to this.

Recently I got a Tamiya TT-01E kit, and fitted with the Year Racing Conversion kit (turned it into a drifter) for it, and it by all means, is beautiful. Ran it for a little bit, but noticed something was off when I make turns. So when I lifted it off the ground, and pressed the throttle a little bit, (if looking down on it front of the car is up), the rear and front right wheels are spinning ALOT faster than the front left one. It seems as though the front left side had a stroke or something. I don't know what is going on. I know I followed the instructions on the conversion kit to the dot, tightened the wheel nut to its max, and greased the shaft up like no other. I just don't know what is going on! I mean I spent a lot of money on the thing, and it doesn't work properly which is frustrating cause I have no idea where to go!

Can anyone help me out on this one?
konumDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:12 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by konumDrum View Post

To start off, I am new to RCTech, but am in need with some assistance if anyone would know the answer to this.

Recently I got a Tamiya TT-01E kit, and fitted with the Year Racing Conversion kit (turned it into a drifter) for it, and it by all means, is beautiful. Ran it for a little bit, but noticed something was off when I make turns. So when I lifted it off the ground, and pressed the throttle a little bit, (if looking down on it front of the car is up), the rear and front right wheels are spinning ALOT faster than the front left one. It seems as though the front left side had a stroke or something. I don't know what is going on. I know I followed the instructions on the conversion kit to the dot, tightened the wheel nut to its max, and greased the shaft up like no other. I just don't know what is going on! I mean I spent a lot of money on the thing, and it doesn't work properly which is frustrating cause I have no idea where to go!

Try loosening the wheel nuts a bit. Depending on the type of hex's you are using over the drive shaft pin (plastic, or aluminium) it's never good to do them up super tight, as unwanted friction is created. Have them done up tight, but not to the point where you can't tighten them up any more.

Also check the pin in the drive shafts, although it would be odd for only the left side of the car to be doing this, the pin may have slid out effectively rubbing on the side of the wheel knuckle.

This may or maynot solve your problem, but it's something to try. If you have all wheel nuts done up extremely tight it has a significant effect on how freely the wheels turn, when applied with different levels of load.

Yokomo BD7 2016
Powered by Muchmore
Futaba 4PX
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:50 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

If all the wheels are turning, but one is turning slower than the others, it's almost always the wheel nut done up too tight and crushing the hex drive against the bearing. The rest of the time it's a damaged wheel bearing that has broken and locked up.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:19 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:

This a great example of someone who wants help. Somebody who talks about the cars problem in detail, not somebody who says. "My blitz is broke, help me fix it!" So props to konumdrum for that!
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
This a great example of someone who wants help. Somebody who talks about the cars problem in detail, not somebody who says. "My blitz is broke, help me fix it!" So props to konumdrum for that!
Thanks man! It's because I work in the IT department, and if people bring in their stuff and says 'my comp/phone isn't working, fix it!' I just stare at them until they tell me whats wrong so I can actually fix it.

Thanks Bill K and terry.sc, I took off the wheel nut and discovered it was a cracked one I grabbed from a box of wheel nuts I was using. Now the thing is running like a dream
Old 10-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

nope nevermind, after running it for 5 min, checked the wheel nuts again, and the same problem still.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Does it use bearings? Maybe some are locked?
Old 10-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
Tech Master

...if the wheel bearings are good, and the wheel nuts are not on too tight, ...the next thing I'd check is the differential. I don't have a Tamiya, however I have had something similar happen on other cars. I've usually found it to be that differential delivering power to the wheels was loose and thus not delivering power to both of the wheels equally. Your differential usually has a pin with a nut or some similar mechanism that holds both halves together. If it is too loose than the diff can spin and not deliver power to the wheels as it should. You'd have to go back to your manual to understand how your diff' works and make sure it is put together correctly.

Your TT is shaft driven AWD, yes? ...also check that the shaft is correctly engaged w/ the front differential (the one related to the tire giving you issue). Again, you'll have to check your manual, but some shafts engage w/ the diff' via a plastic piece that can break and thus not deliver power correctly.

All in all, if the wheel looks good and you aren't over-tightening the wheel then I'd next start exploring the front differential.

Don't be discouraged, what you are describing shouldn't cost much money and is mostly a case of isolating the issue. This I am almost certain is related to something mechanical. Mechanical parts for RC cars are usually cheap to replace.
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The TT-01E comes with gear diffs standard (front/rear). Since you mentioned that you have converted the car to drift spec, let us know....

-If you have a solid rear diff (spool) installed?
-If you have a front gear diff or front ball diff installed?

This additional info will help diagnose the problem.

----------

I would guess that what ever front diff you are using is either too loose or may be built improperly. It may be slipping and transferring most of the power to the one front wheel.

A good way to test if the front diff is too loose is to secure both rear wheels (between your legs or make sure the drive shaft cannot move) and then turn one of the front wheels by hand. The opposite front wheel should turn in the opposite direction. If the opposite front wheel turns in the same direction or not at all, there is a problem with the diff. (Note:If the front diff is too tight/locked then both front wheels will turn in the same direction.)
Old 10-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

Yeah, I pretty much had to rip apart the entire front end, and saw that the diff gear was cracked. THANK GOD I had a spare, cause once I put the spare in, it was working again, no lag no nothing. The chassis is relatively old, so I'm not too surprised, but now, I greased the living crap outta the thing, so it should be good for now. But thank you everyone for the input!!!
Old 10-04-2013, 04:36 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Glad you got it working again
Old 10-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #12
Tech Master

..awesome!
Usually you just ned to start ruling tjings out til you find the issue.
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #13
Tech Rookie

Angry

Quote:
Yeah, I pretty much had to rip apart the entire front end, and saw that the diff gear was cracked. THANK GOD I had a spare, cause once I put the spare in, it was working again, no lag no nothing. The chassis is relatively old, so I'm not too surprised, but now, I greased the living crap outta the thing, so it should be good for now. But thank you everyone for the input!!!
I am having the same problem and I don't know how to fix it, the cars tires spin when they are off the ground but when I put them on the ground they barely turn and a snail could beat my car in a race, but my engine is raving so loud because they won't even spin at full throttle. It seem as to be my front right tire that is making the rest not spin. Is AWD brand new. It's at redcat lighting str, it ran for about a day then the front right tire just got screwed up. So if anyone could try and help that'd be great!! I already loosened my tire nuts, and my left tire spins the opposite direction if I spin the right on by hand. Idk what's wrong with it!
TheNoobRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 04:21 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Transmission problems... Can be solved easily...

There is a part of the transmission working correctly, and the other part which is staying idle despite the throttle... You just have to find the broken point in the transmission.

It seems to be a nitro car, so is the clutch turning when you accelerate?

If no, you have a clutch problem... Remove the motor ans disassemble the clutch, check you manual.

If yes, is the central differential turning?

If no, check if the clutch gear is touching the center gear...

If yes, are the central traismission working?

If no, there is something broken in the central differential. Disassemble it and check your manual.

If yes, the problem is in the front or in the rear differentials (or both).

Please note that you could also have a problem with the dogbones, but it should be very visible.
Airwave is offline   Reply With Quote