Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #331
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K
Default Final post on this says the man beating the dead horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Ellis View Post
Kevin, what's the last big race you have came to? Think it's been awhile, but you seem to know how to fix things right "meaning at this level". I would think that you would help the cause more by coming and supporting the race scene instead of posting your opinion. Come to the race and then have a opinion. Not trying to pick on you but it's getting old all the time with this conversation. The best thing to do for this hobby is to get out and race. Whether it's at a local level or a major race. Whether it's stock, super stock or mod.

On another note the race was ran well. Roar and the guys at Hobbyplex did a great job putting on the race. Chris did a great job on the mike. Congrats to all the winners and thanks for coming and supporting the big races.

Thanks Drew
"Big race" is subjective to your opinion...I have been to races that have had more entries than this race does that make this race invalid? Just because I dont choose to go to races like Snowbirds etc doesnt mean my opinion is invalid any less than anyone elses. I have been around racing longer than you have and I know where racing was and where it is today and its sad quite frankly. Doing the same thing over and over isnt working thus the class is broken...that is my whole point. Im obviously not the only person saying this...entries speak louder than any post on the internet does. Trying to get a conversation going about looking to help I guess by your logic is wrong I just need to show up and race so my opinion holds value.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #332
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't get why all complaining about MOD is coming from spec drivers?
Old 03-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #333
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
What was that song about Tony Block?
A song about Watson??? Moar info plz!
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #334
Tech Elite

id like to the thank tim, alex, and crew for the great job at the plex. id also like to thank bob, steve and the rmt. the race was pretty much flawless, and goetz on the mic was the perfect topper for the week. congrats to all the winners.

"TOUCHING MY BODY!!!!!"
al dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #335
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Mod sedan on carpet is a remenet of a bygone era. Quite honestly, it just looks stupid to drive, and even to watch on our US tracks. Its almost as if we feel obligated to continue running it as a sense of nostalgia. You could make the arguement that what wins on Sunday sells on Monday in this regard, but quite honestly, people are likely basing their car purchase based on what Eric Anderson is running vs Paul Lemieux. Why would we want to grow a class in the US that has no carry over to the rest of the world?

Mod ashphalt on the other hand is a blast to drive. This is what we should be encouraging people to run. If you want to drive down a 150 ft straight on an ashphalt track with a 13.5, be my guest, thats sandbagging and boring.

Hyperform racing--In memory of Lino
Bigdaddyswank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:39 AM   #336
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Goetz wants Kody, pass it on

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #337
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

After a long drive home last night i wanted to put my 2 cents in. This was the first track that i ever attended a National event at, ROAR Carpet Nats 2008, so it was great to come back 6 years later and race it again with more experience.

For those that choose not to come you missed out on a great race. Tim and his crew did a great job at supporting the event and making sure everything went smoothly. The RTM team also did a great job running the race and making sure everything was fair. Special thanks to Chris Goetz for the great announcing.

I believe the date was a deciding factor on attending this race for many but again ROAR stepped up and worked with other race organizers and moved it's usual date to this new one in order to accommodate the Canadian Nationals next weekend. It's to bad many felt this was an error on ROAR's part.

Congratulations to all the 2014 ROAR National Champions.
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #338
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Art,
I am waiting to here that song on the radio.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #339
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I heard rumors there's a dance remix in the works.
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #340
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Huge thanks to all of the crew and guys that supported this race. We all had a great time and will be back for sure next time around!!
Old 03-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #341
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Yeah I think we should all stick to comments about this race. If you want to talk about how class x is broken feel free to go open the many other threads that were created on this topic that have died down.

Congrats to all of the winners and I hope everyone learned something from your experience at the Nationals.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #342
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
The big question is how racers will react when, with no mod, factory drivers make up the majority of the A main positions in the 13.5 class. Will 13.5 now be considered too difficult (to make the A rather than to drive)?

Will the 13.5 guys scurry into 17.5 so they have a chance to win? And what happens when the factory guys drop into 17.5?
Rick is on point. it's about perceptions. Until you're in a heat with a VERY talented driver, I don't mean the best guy in your club, I mean VERY good, most people blame equipment for the differences in lap times. "yea, the pro's got all the best stuff". Hand the pro your car, his first lap will be faster than your best lap.

I can "hang on" to mod in 1/12th and touring, a lot of us can. I don't care to because I already know I can't hang at THAT level, not even close. and it's a bigger commitment in time and setup, that I sadly don't have. Mod is about checking your ego at the door and letting it RIP!!! I generally don't have the time, and I'm frustrated. It's probably my ego writing checks my skills can't cash as I get older.

AND, a lot of people are intimidated by entering a class when they see a name like Cyrul, Paulie, Hohwart, or even that slacker Barry Baker. Who want's to be the club dude that puts Baker over the wall when you're 10-14 laps off the pace? Not that it wouldn't be entertaining to watch. :P

As is, with mod, you can truly go as fast as you want (in theory). But it's like Golf, you don't have to pull your driver out of the bag for every shot. Exercise some course management. If 13.5 is the limit for the chassis, tires, racing surface that day. That's the limit. If you're faster with 13.5 than full on mod, good for you for figuring out your fastest setup and knowing your limits. Course management.

What people don't realize is if you think you're getting killed in 17.5 now? Let the pro's dominate the class, you'll only be 3 laps off the pace instead of 6 in mod. You'll feel better about it, but have the same chance of making up that 3 as you did the 6. Slower cars, equal better racing. Faster cars equal better drivers. Mod is hard (and people want easy, think about RTR kits and pre-glued tires), but when you're in the zone, it's a thing of beauty.

I think back to this video from the worlds. How many people can "truly" run at this level? Problem is, they don't try, and I'm guilty of it as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaXLtPGrTGQ

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #343
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Paul, Keven, and Kody had a win in each of the three mains, so it came down to a tie breaker of sorts with Kody pulling out the overall win. Thats pretty cool, imho. Its nice to see some "new" blood come along and shake things up.

Seattle legalizes pot, the Seahawks win the Super Bowl.... and now a dude from Seattle wins the Roar Nationals. People are now asking us what we are smoking up here.... apparently its the good stuff

A3 Mod TC finale :

http://youtu.be/HK_J0poDYOg

Jake D.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #344
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet Top View Post
A3 Mod TC finale :

http://youtu.be/HK_J0poDYOg

Jake D.
Thanks for sharing the video!

"If God had meant for us to drive through the front wheels, he never would have allowed us to invent the ring & pinion"
kwkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #345
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Mr. Stormer!

Get mad at someone one time and it last with you forever.

I am alot more subdued these days. Now I just look down the drivers stand and say thank you!

Hope all is well!
Barry Baker is offline   Reply With Quote