Wiki Posts
Search

2014 ROAR Carpet Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 05:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me

There's no surprises in mod, everybody knows it's going to be Paul or Keven from now until the end of time. Stock, nobody is dominating. There's a group of guys always at the top, but the outcome is anything but certain. THAT makes it exciting, both to watch and participate in.

Who and Who...Whoo.......LOL Oh Kody you mean...LOL Was great to have Kody win..That was awesome to have a fresh face on top in mod.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Any word on what tires the top cars were running in stock and superstock 1/12 classes?
Old 03-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicky03
Congrats to all the winners, I wish I could have made it, I love that place!

For mod in the US vs Europe, everyone seems to forget the tracks they run on are a lot bigger than what we mostly have here. They also rarely run on tracks with boards and the lanes are much wider. So this makes it easier for the average guy to get his car around the track with out looking like a moron. Im not saying they will be closer to the leaders but they will feel more comfortable doing it. Here you have a 90x40 track with 7 foot lanes and its extremely difficult for the average guy to run a 5.0 motor on a track that size.
The other big factor. You are not rewarded with a Pole Position style explosion for a mistake on a track lined with dots....built on a full sized basketball court.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

We've been running on dots for a year now and The 2 or 3 people that hate them theres 40 that love them. Only epic mistakes cause issues. You can make tons of small mistakes and almost nothing happens.

Plus bodies last for months instead of hours like on a track with full boards.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
. Only epic mistakes cause issues. You can make tons of small mistakes and almost nothing happens.
Your kind of track!
Old 03-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicky03
Your kind of track!
LOL didn't help at the nats last year.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grippgoat
I don't think you can really judge the health of mod from these results. On any given saturday club race in seattle, we've got 4-6 people that are within a lap of Kody, and 1-2 laps up on the TQ record in 17.5. But most of us don't do big races. And that nats track looks brutal, the kind of thing that really brings the cream to the top.

EDIT: That being said, we'll see what Kody does to the mod TC record when he gets back.

-Mike
The mod turnout in Seattle is helped by running a track with fairly wide lanes and with dots (should I say "European style track"?) The breakage on a track with small lanes and hard barriers would discourage people.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Any class that needs to attract new racers through guilt, shame, and questioning their manhood is fundamentally broken. Sorry.
Well said!!!

I never said anyone needs to stop racing whatever class they are so inclined to race. All I was saying is that Mod is fundamentally broken in the US and needs to be corrected for the class to grow as it should. But the old tired claims of sandbagging and sacking up is getting old.....all classes are hard people vote on what classes they like with entries. Slower classes are winning and will keep doing so until something changes.

Congrats to the winners!
Old 03-03-2014, 01:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Well said!!!

I never said anyone needs to stop racing whatever class they are so inclined to race. All I was saying is that Mod is fundamentally broken in the US and needs to be corrected for the class to grow as it should. But the old tired claims of sandbagging and sacking up is getting old.....all classes are hard people vote on what classes they like with entries. Slower classes are winning and will keep doing so until something changes.

Congrats to the winners!
Kevin, what's the last big race you have came to? Think it's been awhile, but you seem to know how to fix things right "meaning at this level". I would think that you would help the cause more by coming and supporting the race scene instead of posting your opinion. Come to the race and then have a opinion. Not trying to pick on you but it's getting old all the time with this conversation. The best thing to do for this hobby is to get out and race. Whether it's at a local level or a major race. Whether it's stock, super stock or mod.

On another note the race was ran well. Roar and the guys at Hobbyplex did a great job putting on the race. Chris did a great job on the mike. Congrats to all the winners and thanks for coming and supporting the big races.

Thanks Drew
Old 03-03-2014, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
The point that I was trying to make, which you seem to have skipped over, is that Mod is seeing growth in the US for the first time in years.

This race should not be used as a metric by which to judge the state of on-road racing in this country. It was one of the most poorly attended Carpet Nats in years. Despite that fact, this race still saw the same number of Mod Sedan entries as '13 Nats at Horsham and '12 Nats at Mikes. Both the '12 and '13 Nats had ~22-23 full heats(and Horsham would have had more if the facility had more pit space)... ~40% greater entry numbers than this year.

If you are arguing that Mod is dead in the US based on the numbers from this particular race, then you must feel that 13.5 Sedan, 13.5 12th, and WGT are dead as well?
Old 03-03-2014, 06:42 AM
Tech Addict

Here are my thoughts about "class problems".

I'll sum it up first to save you the long read: It is a National Championship. It is serious business, and everyone knows it.

Your average "club" racer is a LOT more informed than often given credit . They know the game.

Which decision does the informed club racer make?

We had a handful of local racers enter. 2 of them entered mod. I almost did too. Not that we thought we had a shot, but figured it would be fun to try it on one of the rare occasions that traction supports it, and didn't want yet another class where we had to play all the spec games.

I could go ON AND ON. Everyone will have their own agenda. It will ALWAYS be hard to get club racers to turn out for a PRO level event.

It just so happens that RIGHT NOW not a lot of people have the funds/sponsorship/time that it takes to run at that level. And most of us know that spec racing does little to solve that.

Now, if you want to talk handout batteries and motors - you may be on to something. But that wouldn't be a National Championship - where everything is on the line.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
I'd like to thank Chris Goetz for his fantastic announcing.
Yup ! He did a great job, keepin' it all positive and calling traffic too.
The roar officials also deserve props for doing a very good job throughout.

Jake D.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:05 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Tag
Who and Who...Whoo.......LOL Oh Kody you mean...LOL Was great to have Kody win..That was awesome to have a fresh face on top in mod.
Happy to be wrong! Kody is a great guy and a great driver. His car looked like it was working out of this world good. It was hard to tell in the video, but you know a car is good if you're able to catch Paulie in the sweeper.

Two of three sedan champs with the shaft drive. And Kyle's car looked super good in 13.5, but you can't tap when you've got someone that drives as well as Drew in your race. Very interesting times in RC.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Thanks again to the ROAR RMT and the staff at The Hobbyplex for putting on a really smooth show. Tech and getting stuff checked in was a breeze and the announcing by the legend Chris Goetz was pretty great. The Bill Sydor Jokes alone was worth the trip.

Congrats to all of the winners and already looking forward to paved Nats down in Florida. Should be a good time!

Big congratulations to Kody and Kyle for adding such major accomplishment to their racing careers. The Awesomatix was a big buzz at this race for good reason, but the driving from Kyle and Kody is what gave them the advantage. A great car is one thing, but getting it done under the pressure is something entirely different.

What was that song about Tony Block?
Old 03-03-2014, 07:44 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Magnet Top
Yup ! He did a great job, keepin' it all positive and calling traffic too.
The roar officials also deserve props for doing a very good job throughout.

Jake D.
Absolutely! Everyone was hitting on all cylinders. Shame more drivers couldn't make it.

My only issues with the event were self inflicted....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.