Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Xray T4'14

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 03:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rodney Racer
Go to a automotive dealer that does final prep on cars, like those fancy polish jobs. They also have a product called chip guard or protector. It's usually put on the very front of new vehicles. It's a thicker clear vinyl and the shops usually toss out the smaller pieces which are big enough to do a complete chassis. It's really tough stuff with good adhesive. Any extra pieces use to fix those cracks that start on the body wheel arches.
I have seen that stuff, I will get some of that and give it a go.

Originally Posted by daleburr
I also use cell tape along the edge and at the rear. Anything thicker than this just steals too much ride height. Also you need to be able to remove it to detweak the car, so tape is a quick and easy fix.
I have tried tape but is doesnt do a great job. Only lasts one race but it does have the advantage of being simple and thin....

I might even have a look for some thin teflon at an industrial supplies shop. I would doubt it is possible to get something as thin as I want but who knows..... Maybe even some thin sheetmetal, throw some sparks while grinding the kerbs
Old 04-21-2014, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
i believe that a strip of lexan is the way to go,i measured the strips i used and they were 0.6mm so the tape is 0.2 mm but only lasts one run before you have to change it,and when it wears through you get chassis damage,the lexan on my car lasts 2/3 meetings and doesnt tweak the chassis and you can see when its time to change it before any chassis damage occurs,when i saw the picture of hagbergs car at the recent low grip ets race his chassis was heading for the bin after one race,the majority of racers cant afford to kill a chassis every meeting
I'm not saying the lexan tweaks your car. I'm saying with it stuck to the bottom of your chassis you can't put the car on a flat surface to detweak it, which is something I do before each meet and after any big crash.

Hudy tape lasts a whole day for me. Cheaper tape maybe not so long.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Fly'n Fish
I have seen that stuff, I will get some of that and give it a go.

I have tried tape but is doesnt do a great job. Only lasts one race but it does have the advantage of being simple and thin....

I might even have a look for some thin teflon at an industrial supplies shop. I would doubt it is possible to get something as thin as I want but who knows..... Maybe even some thin sheetmetal, throw some sparks while grinding the kerbs
I've used brass shim in the past, as it's thin and very durable. Gave some wicked sparks in our evening racing. But same issue as anything else stuck on permanently, makes detweaking hard/impossible.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've been doing this hobby for 35+ years and have come across many manufacturers. I just bought the Xray XB4 and have been super impressed with the quality of the parts so far. Over-engineered? YES. And I love it. The moldings on the gears alone waste a lot of material, but you don't even need snippers to cut the gear out of the mold. You can just press them down, it pops out and there's no flashing. The kit, instructions and parts wreak QUALITY. Tamiya has always been my benchmark in terms of the instructions (but not parts). Now, the Xray price point is most certainly justifiable to me at this point.

So I am now subscribed to this thread waiting to catch glimpses of the potential release of the "T5". Has there been any talk/rumors of it so far? I would really be super pissed if I bought a T4'14 and then have the T5 announced right after.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theclutch
I've been doing this hobby for 35+ years and have come across many manufacturers. I just bought the Xray XB4 and have been super impressed with the quality of the parts so far. Over-engineered? YES. And I love it. The moldings on the gears alone waste a lot of material, but you don't even need snippers to cut the gear out of the mold. You can just press them down, it pops out and there's no flashing. The kit, instructions and parts wreak QUALITY. Tamiya has always been my benchmark in terms of the instructions (but not parts). Now, the Xray price point is most certainly justifiable to me at this point.

So I am now subscribed to this thread waiting to catch glimpses of the potential release of the "T5". Has there been any talk/rumors of it so far? I would really be super pissed if I bought a T4'14 and then have the T5 announced right after.
Well, if youre running Xray, get used to a new car released once a year. That's why you'll see " xray t4'13, xray t4'14, xb4-14 etc..." Usually though, between years, there's not a whole lot different.

The '15 should be coming out within a few months, but the '14 was a huge design change, so the '15 will probably be very similar to what the '14 was.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As said above, there is always a new kit every year, usually released in the fall/winter. Some years there are big changes, other years just minor tweaks. We'll have to wait to see what they've changed for the '15 model. I know I'll be buying at least one, sight unseen.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:45 AM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

New cars from Xray generally are released around the first or second week of October for Xray. That's when the last few T3's and T4's were launched right during IIC.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:30 PM
Tech Regular

When would they call it the "T5"? I understand that yearly "updates" which is nice. From what I've seen, one can easily convert the T4 '13 into a T4 '14. But how far off was the T4 in relation to the T3?
Old 04-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Tech Adept

It's a completely different car
Apart from a few plastics everything is different
Old 04-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by daleburr
I'm not saying the lexan tweaks your car. I'm saying with it stuck to the bottom of your chassis you can't put the car on a flat surface to detweak it, which is something I do before each meet and after any big crash.

Hudy tape lasts a whole day for me. Cheaper tape maybe not so long.
im not knocking it,i did it for a while myself but i found the hudy tape gets tacky and sticks to the set up stand,pain in the butt picking the car up and the stand hits your toe,i always de-tweak on a set up board with the 10mm blocks under the diffs,so it doesnt affect the way i de-tweak
i only put a strip of lexan down the length of the lipo and same other side,i also have the banked sweeper to deal with at amcc so its needed,i wore a chassis through under the motor in one meeting when i set the ride height to low
Old 04-21-2014, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

When would they call it the "T5"? I understand that yearly "updates" which is nice. From what I've seen, one can easily convert the T4 '13 into a T4 '14. But how far off was the T4 in relation to the T3?
A bulkhead redesign seems to trigger a new T level (T3, T4, T5).

I'd expect a T4 2015, then a T5 the following year .. details in October and general availability in November.

At minimum I'd expect new carbon in the 2015 model.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The t4 was a big change from the t3.

The t4'14 was also a pretty big change from the t4'13.

I personally don't see the t(5?)'15 being very different from the '14.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ByteStream

At minimum I'd expect new carbon in the 2015 model.
One can only hope, that and hexes that aren't made of marshmallows.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mclarein
One can only hope, that and hexes that aren't made of marshmallows.
Honestly I've never had an issue with the hex's and I've run Xray for many years. I've used these ..

http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...-Cap-Screws-10
Old 04-21-2014, 04:25 PM
Tech Addict

the t4 15/t5 will have an alloy chassis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.