Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Xray T4'14

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 12:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Sean, what sauce do you use? And what sauces are allowed at your track?

I have no complaints about team powers tires, although I have never run them on carpet. But I hate their rims.

-Mike
Old 12-31-2013, 03:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Can someone help on setup on a 17.5 with setup tires. We run on a medium to high traction. Can't get car to handle consistent.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tqboy
Can someone help on setup on a 17.5 with setup tires. We run on a medium to high traction. Can't get car to handle consistent.
when you say set up tires ,whats that mean?
i have had good success with a few of hagbergs set ups althogh i chnge the rear toe to 3.2 with 0.5 inserts instead of the 1mm insert

try these
sorex tyres

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/xray...icars20131026/

ride tyres
http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...&setup=t4_2014
Old 12-31-2013, 06:45 AM
Tech Adept

At my track we all use sweep 32. Can some help for setup medium to high carpet
Old 12-31-2013, 07:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grippgoat
We are allowed SXT only
Old 12-31-2013, 08:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by grippgoat

I have no complaints about team powers tires, although I have never run them on carpet. But I hate their rims.

-Mike
What's wrong with the wheels? Our track runs them pretty much year around and I've probably witnessed 2 or 3 wheels break on hard hits. I haven't broken one myself. They are also pretty darn true, compared to many others out there.

E
Old 12-31-2013, 10:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Smile

What problems are you having? Rear wants to step out sometimes?
I've been finding with most "basic" setups, that the rear wants to roll too much.
I started stiffening up the rear a bit at a time. I first put rear shocks to the outside hole, then I went to a 1.3 rear roll bar. Right now I went to 450 oil in the rear with 400 in front, 2.5 springs, put the rear shocks back to the 2nd hole in on the tower.
Check this setup out. It's Robbie Dodge's 17.5 test setup I haven't tried the whole setup yet, but am thinking about it. http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...&setup=t4_2014

If anyone else can add anything, please do!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

One the biggest things I've found to do with Sweeps is add glue. Run a bead on top of the factory glue (where the rim and sidewall meet), let dry fully, then run another bead (a tad bigger) over the top of that. Without gluing my car felt like it wanted to over-rotate and the back would occassionally feel like it wanted to slide out. After gluing them as stated above the car was a lot more stable and predictable. This is on a high-bite SXT track!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, roger that. I've been gluing my fronts but not the rears. Our track is not exactly high bite, so I was leary of gluing rears. I should just try it though.
The Sweeps have so much air gap, they just fold right over must be.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

I've been running Sweep QTS32 with SXT3.0 on a medium to high bite carpet track. The sweeps are a pretty aggressive tire, so most of my changes have been aimed towards getting the car to be smoother and easier to drive. My setup works pretty well on our very tight, very high grip, bumpy track in 17.5, and also on our larger, more open, slightly less grip, smooth track in modified.

Start with the kit carpet setup, and make the following changes:
- Thicker shock oil. Associated 37.5, possibly 40 in front. I'm not sure what that is in CST. This made a huge difference for me.
- 2000-3000 in rear diff. 3000 will give less entry/mid rotation with more on-power steering. 2000 will rotate a little harder with less on-power steering.
- Move inner camber links to the middle.
- Reduce outer camber link shim in the front to 1mm, so the front wheels don't rub.
- 5.5 front droop and 4.5 rear droop, on gauge.
- Run the motor mount post if you have it, and remove layshaft screws
- Move rear hinge pins out by 0.5mm (do this last, as I'm not actually sure what it does, but that's what's on my car )
- 2mm ackerman shim (might not be an improvement, but I tried it and it seemed like it made the front end a bit more predictable)

EDIT: 2* camber front and rear with 3-racing setup station, and ~0.5 toe-out in front. I'm not sure what the kit setup calls for.

That may not be an uber dialed setup, but it should give you a base to work from that will be much more settled down. It may be a little too docile for 17.5 on a more open track.

-Mike
Old 12-31-2013, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by erchn
What's wrong with the wheels? Our track runs them pretty much year around and I've probably witnessed 2 or 3 wheels break on hard hits. I haven't broken one myself. They are also pretty darn true, compared to many others out there.

E
The wheels are too brittle and prone to huge cracking. Perhaps it's the pipes at the tracks I've run them at, but I'm definitely not the only one in my area who hates those rims. It blows when you basically ruin a perfectly good set of tires on the first or second run with a small tap that a Sweep nylon rim would shrug off like nothing happened.

With the new Sweep EXP EVO tires, I see no reason to ever run team powers on asphalt again. The new EVO lasts just as well if not better for me, and comes on the awesome new sweep natural rims.

-Mike
Old 12-31-2013, 01:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

My '14 setup (on Sweeps) has been decent at our place. It gets a little tippy with the rear blocks high, so you'll have to be mindful of that.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by syndr0me
My '14 setup (on Sweeps) has been decent at our place. It gets a little tippy with the rear blocks high, so you'll have to be mindful of that.
Hi, is that your real name on that setup sheet ????
Old 12-31-2013, 01:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by syndr0me
What does raising the rear blocks do? Rotate more / less rear traction?
Old 12-31-2013, 01:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FLAT OUT
Hi, is that your real name on that setup sheet ????
I dunno, says "syndr0me" in my browser. My name is Adam.

Originally Posted by Smartypants
What does raising the rear blocks do? Rotate more / less rear traction?
I'm no setup expert, I'm sure some mixer will jump in and tell me why this is wrong. But that said, my experience is that it allows the car to roll around more and helps get some steering from the middle of the corner out. I'm trying to fight off an army of fast Awesomatix cars that are stunningly fast through the corners, so it's a constant battle trying to get out of the middle of the corner faster. I think it makes it feel a little lazy in fast transitions though, and can be prone to traction rolling depending on the grip.

I feel like my '14, much like the cars it replaced, has chronic understeer in the middle of the turns. Maybe it's okay compared to other belt drive cars out there, but in the slower classes, the shaft is destroying us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.