Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Xray T4'14

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Tech Master

Can some post the links for advanced set up sheets, or at least what the top drivers sheet are??

thanks in advance.....

Old 10-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Go to the xray site or petitrc.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

To anyone running a 5.0, what's your gearing?
Old 10-20-2013, 07:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

We (my 12yr and I ) ran his 14 today . started with kit setup on high bite carpet (thunder Rc) .
Ended up using 1mm up and in on RR mount /1mm up in RF. And stood rear shocks up one hole. Aslo was running 2.5mil in front diff. This worked pretty good very happy with car
Old 10-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default new car

Ran the new car yesterday at Tamiya race track.

For me the new car is definately more stable, carries alot more corner and the steering is just smoother. It comes in turns better and out better !! I was right on pace with everyone on my first run on the car.

Great Job Mr. Hudy !!

Last edited by King of B Main; 10-20-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:06 AM
Tech Elite

I ran on a mid/large sized carpet track today (10 rolls wide) and found I had problems right from the off with grip.

The carpet was new but the Schumachers seemed to have plenty of grip.

I started with this setup;
http://www.piez0r.com/Skiddins/Xray%...)-18-10-13.pdf
This setup used on Friday;
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

And eventually ended up with this;
http://www.piez0r.com/Skiddins/Xray%...C-20-10-13.pdf
This was the result;
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Although at first the cars don't look massively different at each meeting, the 1st video the car was predictable and easy to drive, in the second you can see the rear of the car trying to step out etc during some of the more sweeping corners.
First thing the car was terrible, and only got slightly better. Luckily I made the A final, through consistency, not outright speed. But I couldn't push hard the way I'd have liked.

Some were suggesting that there was actually too much grip and this was unbalancing the cars. But there was very little wear on the tyres, and no tyre 'dust' on the inside of the bodyshell so we know that's not true. (After 8 runs the tyres still have the 'seam' from the mould around the middle.

I tried making the chassis very flexible by removing layshaft screws etc and loosening the motor mount nut. but this didn't work.
Tried raising the rear link at both ends and this made it worse.

Should I try to make the chassis stiff and run soft springs etc.

Skiddins
Old 10-21-2013, 03:30 AM
Tech Regular

over rotation into corner?
Old 10-21-2013, 04:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Smartypants
over rotation into corner?
Seems to be more mid-corner I think.

If I can just find the best way to lock the rear down, I can then start to add more steering and speed up transitions etc.

Zak Finlay said he found the same at EWS, car on edge while the MI5's had better traction.
So there's something we're missing from the T4'14 setup that the Mi5 has.

Skiddins
Old 10-21-2013, 04:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Skiddins

If I can just find the best way to lock the rear down, I can then start to add more steering and speed up transitions etc.

Zak Finlay said he found the same at EWS, car on edge while the MI5's had better traction.

Skiddins
Not liking the sound of your experience with the new car as what problems you are mentioning are the exact same issues I have with the T4. When I heard that the new car had more steering than the old car I was a little worried as I never struggled with steering just rear grip break away.

Last year that's all I was chasing was rear grip. Like you said id like to be able to nail the rear down then slowly tune it out. I never had this problem with the T3 12. Must be my driving style as all the top lads get on well with the car. Zaks car at Bedworth looked amazing.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:07 AM
Tech Regular

Skiddins
Yes EWS runners were having similar problems, From the cars i saw they were running longer links than your setup, did you try that?
Old 10-21-2013, 05:24 AM
Tech Adept

First time out with the 14 and stuggled a bit for rear grip on corner entry. Laid the shocks down 2 holes and transformed the car completley. Qualified 4th in the b final but was on Afinal pace in the 1st leg of our finals. Finshed 2nd in the first leg and pushed 1stplace for about 10 laps then made a couple if small mistakes and the lead car pulled away. Second final car seemed to be very unpredictable and thought something was wrong. Turned out the steering linkage came loose. That will teach me to build a car in 4.5 hrs and then race it the next day lol.
All in all very happy with the car. Just need to use it more now to get used to having a car that does what i want it to do when i want it to do it.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Smartypants
Yes EWS runners were having similar problems, From the cars i saw they were running longer links than your setup, did you try that?
No, one of the few things I din't try, on my list for next time.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

First run with the '14 was solid. I have ya beat. I brought the car to the track, while announcing the racing, a group of people built my car. First tire on the track, was the 3rd q warm up lap. The car felt VERY much like the T4, but had more mid corner. Looking forward to getting the setup down. lot's of potential here...

Originally Posted by millbank
First time out with the 14 and stuggled a bit for rear grip on corner entry. Laid the shocks down 2 holes and transformed the car completley. Qualified 4th in the b final but was on Afinal pace in the 1st leg of our finals. Finshed 2nd in the first leg and pushed 1stplace for about 10 laps then made a couple if small mistakes and the lead car pulled away. Second final car seemed to be very unpredictable and thought something was wrong. Turned out the steering linkage came loose. That will teach me to build a car in 4.5 hrs and then race it the next day lol.
All in all very happy with the car. Just need to use it more now to get used to having a car that does what i want it to do when i want it to do it.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:41 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

More rear toe
Thicker rear diff fluid.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Skiddens; I ran on low traction carpet many time with the T4 . and find that 2k in rear and 1mil In front diffs work really well on those surfaces.
Also lots of droop , like 3mm over ride in front/4.5mm in rear (measured from ride height to point which tire barely touched board.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.