Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Xray T4'14

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 12:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ultra_Aussie
Thanks for the info. Yes I run on asphalt so I will have a go at a bit of a fix. I also have some glass mesh I could use as a filler too
Alternatively, throw it in the bin, because, you know… it's done.

That thing will never work right again, ever.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt W
Hi,

I run in 17.5 blinky on medium to high grip carpet, what have people found to be the best weight oil for a front gear diff?
I use Gravity RC 2.5 million. It has proven for me to work best all around on carpet, from low to high grip.

http://www.teamgravityrc.com/
Old 03-03-2014, 12:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE
I use Gravity RC 2.5 million. It has proven for me to work best all around on carpet, from low to high grip.

http://www.teamgravityrc.com/
Thanks, do you find the gear diff gives you more steering?

Do you ever find the need for a gear diff outdoors on tarmac?
Old 03-03-2014, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Yes, it gives me more initial steering especially. Going from spool to the diff, I was turning into the boards for a couple laps

I have never run on tarmac so cannot help there. Sorry!
Old 03-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE
Yes, it gives me more initial steering especially. Going from spool to the diff, I was turning into the boards for a couple laps

I have never run on tarmac so cannot help there. Sorry!
Ok thanks, i'll try and get hold of the 2.5 million gravity oil although it seems to be out of stock everywhere in the UK.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:55 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

is this something that's used for only carpet? (2.5 million gravity oil)

I race asphalt on road and the last 3 years I've ran 100,000 & 150,000 wt. diff fluid in my front Xray diffs and around 600 wt. in the rears. just wondering what this would do on asphalt.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by touringdriver
is this something that's used for only carpet? (2.5 million gravity oil)

I race asphalt on road and the last 3 years I've ran 100,000 & 150,000 wt. diff fluid in my front Xray diffs and around 600 wt. in the rears. just wondering what this would do on asphalt.
Why run a front diff at all on asphalt? A spool should be faster, especially if you normally run oils that thin.

Yes, the 2.5million could be run on asphalt, I have done it a few times in Modified to try and make the car easier to drive but in the end went back to a spool.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

what are the ball ends that hagberg is using on his car? it looks like they are the open ended ball ends, but he is not using button head screws to mount them based on the pictures i saw...

http://ets.redrc.net/gallery/?nggpage=20
Old 03-05-2014, 07:49 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gocoogs
what are the ball ends that hagberg is using on his car? it looks like they are the open ended ball ends, but he is not using button head screws to mount them based on the pictures i saw...

Those are just the old style open ended ones. They ball stud is the same sizes as the old pop in ball that used a screw through it. I use them on the outside of my car to gain more clearance at the wheel. They offer less slop than the normal ball cups over time.

EA
Old 03-05-2014, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gocoogs

Post #86 here;
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ay-t414-6.html
Old 03-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Here's a more useful link, including part #.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...l#post13005891

-Mike
Old 03-05-2014, 11:46 AM
Tech Addict

can i start a debate on shock shims and there effects? ive read that it removes traction at that end????? as i recently added 2mm shims top and bottom to the rears i was wondering if thats whats causing the car to slide in slow corners at mid to exit,its not that bad as the slide is predictable and can be caught by grabbing some throttle,or is this just a droop issue?i normally run 3.5 on the blocks or 3.5 mm orh ive dropped to 2.8mm orh on the rear
any ideas?
Old 03-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
can i start a debate on shock shims and there effects? ive read that it removes traction at that end????? as i recently added 2mm shims top and bottom to the rears i was wondering if thats whats causing the car to slide in slow corners at mid to exit,its not that bad as the slide is predictable and can be caught by grabbing some throttle,or is this just a droop issue?i normally run 3.5 on the blocks or 3.5 mm orh ive dropped to 2.8mm orh on the rear
any ideas?
We need someone to do some focused testing. I choose you!

Seriously, I have no idea why adding even shims top and bottom would change anything, unless it has to do with polar moment of inertia or arm twisting or shock tower flex or side loading the piston.... all of which seem like they'd be incredibly subtle.

Adding shims at only the top or the bottom, however, seems like it would be similar to making a very small shock angle change, when moving to a different hole on the tower would be too big of a change.

-Mike
Old 03-05-2014, 12:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
any ideas?
My take on it is that you are moving weight forward when spacing out the front shocks and rearward when spacing the rear shocks. Many times if your car is a bit pushy moving weight rearward will liven up the front, or if too twitchy moving weight forward can deaden it.

That said, I think the change on the track is quite small, I would use it as a subtle change when your setup is quite close and you just need a tiny bit here or there.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by erchn
My take on it is that you are moving weight forward when spacing out the front shocks and rearward when spacing the rear shocks. Many times if your car is a bit pushy moving weight rearward will liven up the front, or if too twitchy moving weight forward can deaden it.

That said, I think the change on the track is quite small, I would use it as a subtle change when your setup is quite close and you just need a tiny bit here or there.
Can you feel the handling difference when you change your pinion by 1-2 teeth? I'd be surprised if moving two shocks by 1-2mm would make more difference than that. Not trying to call you out or anything, I'm actually curious. I've felt handling differences going from a 70 spur to a 74 spur with the larger pinion for the same gear ratio due to moving the motor forward.

-Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.