Wiki Posts
Search

motor "dyno"

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 11:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (98%+)
Default motor "dyno"

I am fairly new to EP touring sedan and I wanted to focus on 19 turn and stock this year...

question: what is the best way to analyize, manage & tune electric motors???

I have started to do some research on this, but I really want to hear from other racers...

I have seen products from: CE, Orion/Peak, Yokomo, etc.

"What do you all use????????"
Old 02-20-2005, 12:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The best answer is "the track" Generally you can hear a good motor by ear. Pickup a good motor from a respected tuner. Ill pimp EA motors and team br00d here, both do excellent stock and 19T motors.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by berger
The best answer is "the track" Generally you can hear a good motor by ear. Pickup a good motor from a respected tuner. Ill pimp EA motors and team br00d here, both do excellent stock and 19T motors.
thanks for the reply, but when "at the track" for some testing on springs and brushes, how do you "monitor" what changes were "good or bad"????

so before placing the motor on the track, you have a "head start" on working on a combination/starting point that is suseptible to the track conditions and type of performance you are lookin for on that particular day....
Old 02-20-2005, 01:02 PM
Tech Elite

If he's new to touring, then how's he going to know what a good motor sounds like.

The three main dyno's are the CE Turbodyno, Fantom Fast Facts, and Robotronics.

All three should be more than enough to get the most performance out of any motor. Don't waste your money on the Integy, Orion, Tekin, ect..dyno's. They arn't reliable and not very realistic to track performance.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Pro4Capece
If he's new to touring, then how's he going to know what a good motor sounds like.

The three main dyno's are the CE Turbodyno, Fantom Fast Facts, and Robotronics.

All three should be more than enough to get the most performance out of any motor. Don't waste your money on the Integy, Orion, Tekin, ect..dyno's. They arn't reliable and not very realistic to track performance.
Because hes raced plenty of offroad from the look of his signature
Old 02-20-2005, 02:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Pro4Capece
Robotronics.
T not confuse people, it's NOT Robotronics.
It's Robitronic.. If were talking about the sam company, which i believe..
Old 02-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Sparx
my bad
Old 02-20-2005, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Because hes raced plenty of offroad from the look of his signature
I don't guess you do much off-road, especially with the XXX-4. It is very difficult to hear the motors fine pitch over the dirt flying, slipper slipping, and the belt clicking of that Losi.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

I meant when you had the motor in your hand and you hear it spool up.
Anyway a dyno isnt worth much if your just starting out. Setup and track time will get you quicker than any dyno will. We spend too long chasing figures on dynos and cells i feel.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

True, but every watt helps. Having the fastest motor won't win you the race, but having a slow motor will most likely make you lose.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sometimes that's true, if we obsess too much over the numbers on our motors & batteries & forget to figure out how to get the car to put that power down & drive it properly, it won't matter how good the motor or battery is. However, I'd say the best way to get an idea of what'll work best is to go to some of the fast guys at your local track & just ask 'em, NO ONE will know more about that track than those guys(including what kind of motor & chassis setup it likes), & believe me, while a few may try to hide stuff, the majority of them WILL be willing to help you. I know I never hold back anything I know if it means a less experienced driver will have a chance to enjoy themselves more & stay in the hobby longer. That's why I've been in it as long as I have, because I met guys who were perfectly willing to help me figure out car setup & driving, even though later I became as fast as(& on a few occaisions faster than) those same guys. In fact, one of them(who I considered my primary mentor when I was a rookie) is still at it & we still race each other(& it's a BLAST to have a close one between us), & I see things about the same way, so I help others whenever I can. Now, that all being said, I would say that the raw numbers(that someone posted in the very beginning of another thread asking what's good for a stock) are pretty good, if they're really true. I won't name names, but I've done plenty of my own testing on my Robitronic dyno & in the case of a couple of big-name companies(who will go nameless cause I don't really like running anyone down), & some of them I've had a hard time duplicating those numbers from their labels. In particular, I'm talking about when some of the builders were still using the same Robi dyno I do, so the numbers should've been pretty darn close, & they hardly EVER were(unless I raised the test voltage to raise the power numbers), so I'm not sure I'd trust 'em all unconditionally. However, there are some that I do trust with some of their motors, like Fantom's Limited Edition team motors for example, those are the ones that they spend the most time working on, & they've always proven themselves worthy of their label's numbers both on my Robi & ontrack(& there are a few others I trust because I know them personally or know plenty about them because of my friends using them, like Putnam, Team1, Paradigm, etc.). So if you're definitely set on getting the very best motor you can right now, I'd reccommend going with some of those guys before the boggies names(though you can also find some gems from the big companies, too, it's just harder to find because of the sheer number of the ones to look at & they don't spend the amount of tuning time on them that the smaller companies can)....
Old 02-20-2005, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

I meant when you had the motor in your hand and you hear it spool up.
Anyway a dyno isnt worth much if your just starting out. Setup and track time will get you quicker than any dyno will. We spend too long chasing figures on dynos and cells i feel.
Berger

I am not new to r/c, but I am very "green" to be involved in competitive stock/19 turn racing....

off road I basically ran "mod" so I ran the appropriate motors "needed"...

My question to the r/c world is what do you'all think is the best in evaluating "motors" from the "bench" prior to running them on the "track", which will help you in setting the motor aspect of racing (excluding of course chassis set up & the "mental" side of things-human error....)

no harm/no foul, I just want to hear what everyone's "take" is on this subject

& to quote "PRO4CAPECE", I cannot find the CE Turbodyno anywhere, let alone finding on CE's website.....
Old 02-20-2005, 06:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Grizzbob
Sometimes that's true, if we obsess too much over the numbers on our motors & batteries & forget to figure out how to get the car to put that power down & drive it properly, it won't matter how good the motor or battery is. However, I'd say the best way to get an idea of what'll work best is to go to some of the fast guys at your local track & just ask 'em, NO ONE will know more about that track than those guys(including what kind of motor & chassis setup it likes), & believe me, while a few may try to hide stuff, the majority of them WILL be willing to help you. I know I never hold back anything I know if it means a less experienced driver will have a chance to enjoy themselves more & stay in the hobby longer. That's why I've been in it as long as I have, because I met guys who were perfectly willing to help me figure out car setup & driving, even though later I became as fast as(& on a few occaisions faster than) those same guys. In fact, one of them(who I considered my primary mentor when I was a rookie) is still at it & we still race each other(& it's a BLAST to have a close one between us), & I see things about the same way, so I help others whenever I can. Now, that all being said, I would say that the raw numbers(that someone posted in the very beginning of another thread asking what's good for a stock) are pretty good, if they're really true. I won't name names, but I've done plenty of my own testing on my Robitronic dyno & in the case of a couple of big-name companies(who will go nameless cause I don't really like running anyone down), & some of them I've had a hard time duplicating those numbers from their labels. In particular, I'm talking about when some of the builders were still using the same Robi dyno I do, so the numbers should've been pretty darn close, & they hardly EVER were(unless I raised the test voltage to raise the power numbers), so I'm not sure I'd trust 'em all unconditionally. However, there are some that I do trust with some of their motors, like Fantom's Limited Edition team motors for example, those are the ones that they spend the most time working on, & they've always proven themselves worthy of their label's numbers both on my Robi & ontrack(& there are a few others I trust because I know them personally or know plenty about them because of my friends using them, like Putnam, Team1, Paradigm, etc.). So if you're definitely set on getting the very best motor you can right now, I'd reccommend going with some of those guys before the boggies names(though you can also find some gems from the big companies, too, it's just harder to find because of the sheer number of the ones to look at & they don't spend the amount of tuning time on them that the smaller companies can)....
I appreciate the advice, and I have had the same come from some of the EP races in the area
Old 02-20-2005, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Sparx
Sparxs:

"where" can I find info on this dyno?????"
Old 02-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

I would go with the Fantom dyno if I were you. You will get the best service of any company in the rc industry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.