R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Questions?? Servo Saver..Do you use it?

Hi guy's

Getting back to on-road racing with my serpent S411TE and was wondering if it is a good idea to use a servo saver or not? I got a Savox sc-1252 coming in and don't want to strip any gears on it with hard hits. To be honest, i never ran with servo savers before and never stripped any gears but you never know.

I picked up a X-ray composite servo saver from my LHS. Didn't realize how big and bulky they were. Is there any cons running the car with one. Do you guys use one or not bother with it???

any info would be great.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

I don't and I don't intend to.
IIGQ4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Some servo-savers don't always center correctly. If you get one that does though it wouldn't hurt to run it.

When I have used straight horns I have never stripped metal gear servos, I have stripped plastic servos though.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Suspended

I never use one
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
Tech Master

Always use one. kimbrough black savers work great and always center to the same spot. they aren't very big either.

if I was on a more forgiving track I might not worry as much but our boards are hell on front ends. haven't stripped a servo plastic or metal. even on the f1 open wheels.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
Tech Initiate
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

have not use one for years......
roche.hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

In my opinion, the X-ray hard servo saver is better than the Kimbrough ones I've had before.

I'm curious about running no servo saver but I have a KO RSX servo on the way. I'd cry if I broke it in a big crash.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
Tech Adept

I was under the impression that even all metal gear servos had a plastic gear in them? Is that right? The track i will be running has lot of boards, so it might be pretty hard on my front end. I might still run one on the serpent but if i don't like it i will take it out..

Also is there a big difference between the Kimbrough servo saver and the X-ray composite one? They look similar, but the x-ray one looks more robust?
Old 09-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEBERG View Post
I was under the impression that even all metal gear servos had a plastic gear in them? Is that right? The track i will be running has lot of boards, so it might be pretty hard on my front end. I might still run one on the serpent but if i don't like it i will take it out..
In metal gear servos the gears are most of the time all metal. . I have only seen 1 or 2 that have had a combination of plastic and metal gears, it seemed like they did that just to say there was some metal in it.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEBERG View Post

Also is there a big difference between the Kimbrough servo saver and the X-ray composite one? They look similar, but the x-ray one looks more robust?
Run one. Believe me bro...less headache and NOT having one on will bug the $h!# out of you. Always will be a question in your head and the less distractions on the drivers' stand, the better. Be safe(r) not sorry. IMHO of course

And yes, the XRay ones (there are 2 different ones) are more robust. Although expensive.

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #11
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Run one. Believe me bro...less headache and NOT having one on will bug the $h!# out of you. Always will be a question in your head and the less distractions on the drivers' stand, the better. Be safe(r) not sorry. IMHO of course

And yes, the XRay ones (there are 2 different ones) are more robust. Although expensive.
Why, if the tracks you run on are not going to break your car, then why bother at all. In 5 years as a basher and racer I have never used a servo saver and have never had a servo break, and that is using cheap Bluebird MG servos and more recently Savox low profiles in TC on road 10.5 blinky and mod and pro tourer nitro. If i was running on boarded indoor tracks, i might consider it, but for outdoor asphalt tracks with plenty of run off, it is not important at all.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #12
Tech Initiate

Talking

I don't now,never have...doubt I ever will...I don't even think about it...I reckon if I strip some gears,I'll be replacing a lot more than just servo parts...but I only race 1/10...if that matters...and have always used futaba servos,if that matters...
brwn bggr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber View Post
Why, if the tracks you run on are not going to break your car, then why bother at all. In 5 years as a basher and racer I have never used a servo saver and have never had a servo break, and that is using cheap Bluebird MG servos and more recently Savox low profiles in TC on road 10.5 blinky and mod and pro tourer nitro. If i was running on boarded indoor tracks, i might consider it, but for outdoor asphalt tracks with plenty of run off, it is not important at all.
Why? You answered that with your post. Because some people run on tracks with hard edges. Not everyone runs on huge outdoor asphalt. I'd be willing to bet the majority of people do not run on that type of track. Also there is that piece of mind.

What benefit is there to not running a good one? It certainly doesn't hurt.

To the OP I do run one. Almost always have. If I can fit one on then I do run one.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:32 PM   #14
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Burlap

I use Kimborough Servo Savers on my car, mainly because of the wooden boards setup at the track I race at, you'd be going through a servo a night if you didn't have one. Never had a Kimborough go sloppy on me, unlike the ones that come with Tamiya kits.
Burlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post

I guess some of us have selective reading abilities....

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote