R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #16
Tech Master

I rarely run one. Funnily, when people mention "peace of mind" I think "getting rid of the servo saver". One more thing that can go wrong IMO.

Plus on modern TCs with dual bellcrank steering setups, no matter how forward you can push your servo, you're going to need a few spacers under the ballstud on the servo arm in order to get a straight steering link ( straight when viewed from the top). This puts a twisting force on the servo arm. For this reason, not only would I avoid a servo saver at all cost, but I would also run an aluminum servo horn. Otherwise you're in for some real vagueness in the steering response.

If you have cheap servo, we can assume you are a noob, and you need a servo saver. If you are not a noob you have a powerful MG servo and you can get away without running one. Life can be so simple sometimes!
Old 09-30-2013, 03:39 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I use servo horn on my short course truck just because it has its own servo saver built in to the bell cranks.
Airflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:12 AM   #18
Tech Apprentice

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEBERG View Post
Hi guy's

Getting back to on-road racing with my serpent S411TE and was wondering if it is a good idea to use a servo saver or not? I got a Savox sc-1252 coming in and don't want to strip any gears on it with hard hits. To be honest, i never ran with servo savers before and never stripped any gears but you never know.

I picked up a X-ray composite servo saver from my LHS. Didn't realize how big and bulky they were. Is there any cons running the car with one. Do you guys use one or not bother with it???

any info would be great.
I am also running the 411. I went through 3 gearsets on my Sav÷x 1251 before I started to use the Xray Servosaver. No problem since then :-) I have also swiched from Sav÷x to KO and Sanwa that might have helped too.... There is already a lot of play build in in the 411 steering so I doubt that the servo saver will make any difference ;-)
Linguster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:27 AM   #19
Tech Regular

I dont use one on my MI5 and glad i havnt as ive stripped one cheapy servo horn but if i would of used a "saver" or metal horn my servo would of been totalled
PurcyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:40 AM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

Yes, I use a servo saver on my sedans and have been using the Tamiya HD type for some time now.
SteveM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:54 AM   #21
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Hi guy's

Getting back to on-road racing with my serpent S411TE and was wondering if it is a good idea to use a servo saver or not? I got a Savox sc-1252 coming in and don't want to strip any gears on it with hard hits. To be honest, i never ran with servo savers before and never stripped any gears but you never know.

I picked up a X-ray composite servo saver from my LHS. Didn't realize how big and bulky they were. Is there any cons running the car with one. Do you guys use one or not bother with it???

any info would be great.
Second time i used my Savox 1252 and the only time i have not used a servo saver i stripped 2 of the gears... This was due to a hard hit from another car though. Only just got a replacement gear set for it so not used it again yet...

I always run the Xray T4 (Version 2) servo saver on my BD7.
Aaron_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:13 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_M View Post
Second time i used my Savox 1252 and the only time i have not used a servo saver i stripped 2 of the gears... This was due to a hard hit from another car though. Only just got a replacement gear set for it so not used it again yet...

I always run the Xray T4 (Version 2) servo saver on my BD7.
Were you using a metal servo horn?

soft plastic cheapo ones for the win
PurcyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:10 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to gearhead_22

Quote:
Hi guy's

any info would be great.
in doors I use the servo saver ( the one from serpent) and out door I don't use one. because in doors it is a better chance of catching a corner and striping the plastic servo arm. If you have a metal gear servo then the arm should strip first if anything.
Juwan Hunter
gearhead_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:34 AM   #24
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurcyP View Post
Were you using a metal servo horn?

soft plastic cheapo ones for the win
Nope not a metal horn... was using a kit BD7 plastic horn
Aaron_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurcyP View Post
I dont use one on my MI5 and glad i havnt as ive stripped one cheapy servo horn but if i would of used a "saver" or metal horn my servo would of been totalled
Nope, if you used a saver, you wouldn't have had any problems in the first place.
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
I was under the impression that even all metal gear servos had a plastic gear in them? Is that right?
It depends on the brand. I think most Futabas (definitely my BLS551) have a plastic gear in them. KO might be the same. The Savox 1251MG definitely is all metal, and I would strongly recommend against running one without a saver, even though gear sets are pretty cheap. They seem to be pretty brittle. It's not always the big hit that breaks the gears, either. Sometimes it's the innocuous little flapper tap in warmup that'll deliver the killing blow, and then you miss your main and .

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #27
Tech Regular

didnt use a saver at first, but had a big fullspeed crash in one final that made my arm move one teeth, which made the car steer badly to the left the rest of final, have been using a xray saver ever since just to be on the safe side.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Been running Tamiya HD saver with aluminium arm in TC.

I tried using a straight horn and it felt no different on the track in 17.5. It may show up more in mod, especially in high bite situations where the saver would under a lot more stress during cornering. The horn may yield more steering than a saver in those conditions.

In the end, clipping a board caused the horn to snap. That meant a DNF. Went back to using a saver. Haven't had any issues since.
ShaunMac is offline   Reply With Quote