Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Speed Passion brand new Spec Racing LeMans car - The LM1 >

Speed Passion brand new Spec Racing LeMans car - The LM1

Like Tree35Likes

Speed Passion brand new Spec Racing LeMans car - The LM1

Old 12-11-2013, 08:04 AM
  #391  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,291
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
Roller! Nice easy build. Only gripe is still the front upper ball retainer strips too easy. I'd like to see it in aluminum some day.
I really don't know how that could happen....I build 6 LM1 already, and 2 SP1, except the 1st prototype version...I have not strip 1 single retainer. Not 1....

There is a direct/angle that you have to turn that retainer in....if not turning in that correctly, it will be stripped....
Solara is offline  
Old 12-11-2013, 08:11 AM
  #392  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,291
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Our head office LeMan event....outdoor 250 footer track, with 13.5 blinky, no traction compound on tires and no traction spray on track...raw track.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Solara is offline  
Old 12-11-2013, 08:25 AM
  #393  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,291
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Full length full race version....

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Solara is offline  
Old 12-11-2013, 09:23 AM
  #394  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (25)
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 167
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Those videos are really nice!
RS_ZACH is offline  
Old 12-11-2013, 10:58 AM
  #395  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (17)
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,919
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Solara
I really don't know how that could happen....I build 6 LM1 already, and 2 SP1, except the 1st prototype version...I have not strip 1 single retainer. Not 1....

There is a direct/angle that you have to turn that retainer in....if not turning in that correctly, it will be stripped....
It's not cross threaded. The hex strips when trying to back it off and it gets stuck. I snug the retainer down, then back it off 1/8 to 1/4 turn normally. I've done the CRC upgrade for now as I have plenty of those little retainers around.
liljohn1064 is offline  
Old 12-11-2013, 12:35 PM
  #396  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
iTrader: (17)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,291
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
It's not cross threaded. The hex strips when trying to back it off and it gets stuck. I snug the retainer down, then back it off 1/8 to 1/4 turn normally. I've done the CRC upgrade for now as I have plenty of those little retainers around.
The hardened material (carbon reinforced) is already made to be strong enough to withstand the stripping....honestly I have tried to do it and see does the plastic still soft but I have yet to hear from those who build the LM1 has the same issue.

Does the CRC nut a direct fit..? The one from the GEN X?
Solara is offline  
Old 12-11-2013, 01:35 PM
  #397  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (32)
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: In a land of mini-mighty mental giants
Posts: 8,854
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by liljohn1064

Any updates on the 21.5 testing from the Chicago area crew?
Eric had a really good run down from what we found so far.

I will say that this car with 21.5 is the most fun that I have had in a while racing. After seeing the car run with 17.5 motors I think that should be an option only on larger tracks.

my car is basically box stock with a few changes...Red CRC side springs and .020 front springs. Like Eric stated getting the ride height lowered to around 4mm is a good starting point.

FYI my car was 1280 with a full size battery pack.
Kevin K is offline  
Old 12-11-2013, 04:42 PM
  #398  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (17)
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,919
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Solara
The hardened material (carbon reinforced) is already made to be strong enough to withstand the stripping....honestly I have tried to do it and see does the plastic still soft but I have yet to hear from those who build the LM1 has the same issue.

Does the CRC nut a direct fit..? The one from the GEN X?
It is an exact fit for the retainer. And I'm not cranking it down tight, just enough to slow the ball movement.

As for the kit: The plastic is a lot better, much stronger with all the new parts. I'm just unlucky.
liljohn1064 is offline  
Old 12-11-2013, 04:45 PM
  #399  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (17)
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,919
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Eric had a really good run down from what we found so far.

I will say that this car with 21.5 is the most fun that I have had in a while racing. After seeing the car run with 17.5 motors I think that should be an option only on larger tracks.

my car is basically box stock with a few changes...Red CRC side springs and .020 front springs. Like Eric stated getting the ride height lowered to around 4mm is a good starting point.

FYI my car was 1280 with a full size battery pack.
Thanks Kevin and Eric. I'll be putting that info to good use.
liljohn1064 is offline  
Old 12-12-2013, 06:11 AM
  #400  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
celt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: /dev/null
Posts: 2,570
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default 21.5 testing

We'll have 21.5's in our chassis here in Madison this weekend. Medium size carpet and I would say medium to low grip.

Certainly report back.
celt is offline  
Old 12-12-2013, 07:12 AM
  #401  
Tech Master
iTrader: (70)
 
burgboyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Da 'Burg
Posts: 1,246
Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default

10th scale servo only or will a 12th (say a ko951) fit?
burgboyz is offline  
Old 12-12-2013, 07:19 AM
  #402  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Winthrop harbor
Posts: 2,296
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by burgboyz
10th scale servo only or will a 12th (say a ko951) fit?
The chassis and servo mounts are for std size servo. You could drill another set of holes and take off the locator pin and use a 1/12 servo
ercwhtsd is offline  
Old 12-12-2013, 08:32 AM
  #403  
Tech Master
iTrader: (70)
 
burgboyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Da 'Burg
Posts: 1,246
Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Default

Thanks.
burgboyz is offline  
Old 12-15-2013, 05:43 PM
  #404  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (6)
 
trackdesigner71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 5,615
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the thoughts and reports guys. Really I think this is good dialogue in working out this class in a way that will a) appeal to a wide range of interests and budgets and b) maximize its ability to grow. I do think having a spec/low cost option as well as a more open option will be a winner for everyone
trackdesigner71 is offline  
Old 12-16-2013, 05:40 AM
  #405  
Tech Initiate
 
kerberos451's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 30
Default

Got to build/drive mine this past week.

Only complaints are lack of servo saver assembly. In order to protect everything I removed the steering bell housing and attached the steering links to a large dubro server saver. Only other thing that irritated me was no Hitec servo horn, but fortunately I had a low offset steering horn.

On to the good stuff. I put a Novak 17.5 Ballistic/Edge2S in my car and its a freaking land rocket. Im running it on carpet and using just a small bit of sticky fingers the car hooked up and gives lots of confidence in both high speed and low twisty sections. It is a drivers car & after a few laps you really start bringing the times down. Its easy for my mind to turn into a computer while driving this car flat out (in the zone). Im primarily a nitro buggy guy, but I love le mans and couldn't pass up this ride. So far it seems very durable and cost effective. I do hope the class picks up. Just hoping a rubber tire makes it way onto the market.

Good Job Speed Passion...great car. 4/5 stars
kerberos451 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.