R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default What would you buy?

My local club races various classes, one of which is 2 wheel drive modified at 1/10 scale, anything goes if 1/10 scale. All racing is an oval parking lot track. What would you buy to race in this class?

Thanks!
uscgretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

maybe a 1/10 pan car if its smooth.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
Tech Addict

tc4 or 1/10 pancar
TeamThibault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Tech Champion

the tc4 is 4wd though. you could go with an ff. like a ff03 pro. its "2wd" dunno if its allowed though. this would be better that a pan car if its not perfect asphalt.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:00 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

If the track is smooth enough a pan car should kill all other 1/10 2wd.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
Tech Adept

The track is setup on an asphalt parking lot, fairly smooth, we clean it with a leaf blower before we run. The touring cars do ok on it and I run foam tires on my touring car so maybe a pan car is the way to go. Others run buggies and trucks in this class. Will a pan car hold their own in a crash? I am also checking out that ff03, I didn't know that a front wheel drive car was available.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgretired View Post
The track is setup on an asphalt parking lot, fairly smooth, we clean it with a leaf blower before we run. The touring cars do ok on it and I run foam tires on my touring car so maybe a pan car is the way to go. Others run buggies and trucks in this class. Will a pan car hold their own in a crash? I am also checking out that ff03, I didn't know that a front wheel drive car was available.
it really depends how hard you crash. slight bumps will be fine, but anything more and you will start having problems. If there are any cracks, potholes, roughness, or inconsistent sections a pan car will not do very well. if its very smooth or just redone it will kill any truck or buggy if its setup right. otherwise a front wheel drive tc would be my second option.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
it really depends how hard you crash. slight bumps will be fine, but anything more and you will start having problems. If there are any cracks, potholes, roughness, or inconsistent sections a pan car will not do very well. if its very smooth or just redone it will kill any truck or buggy if its setup right. otherwise a front wheel drive tc would be my second option.
I think the surface will be fine, I am more worried about the car getting run over by the trucks and destroying the car. When I first joined the club I pulled my Yokomo YR4M out of storage to run in the 4 wheel drive modified...it ran ok against the brushless trucks but any kind of wreck put it out of the race for good until I figured out how to fix it with out being able to find parts. I guess for a new pan car I will be able to get parts so maybe not a big deal when it wrecks...now which pan car???? I have never owned one before.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
Tech Champion

A Team Associated RC10R5.1 would be a good car to get, it is quite expensive though. for all purposes the CRC Gen-X10 LE will do just as well, and its about 90 dollars cheaper. That to me would be the deciding factor. Sort of in the middle is the XRAY X10, again a good choice, but a bit expensive.

One thing that i just though of... you could also go with a f1 car. its basically a lengthened and narrowed pan car.

i dont think you will get run over, cuz you will be so much faster
Old 09-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to JimmyMack12

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgretired View Post
My local club races various classes, one of which is 2 wheel drive modified at 1/10 scale, anything goes if 1/10 scale. All racing is an oval parking lot track. What would you buy to race in this class?

Thanks!
If you're running paved oval, go with a oval-car chassis: F-14, CRC Battle Axe 3.0, HyperDrive 5.0, the new Pemberton car, TOP Rebel 10SS, Rogue, etc. These are all "direct-drive"; you didn't say if it had to be a "gearbox" car or not.

10.5 motor, 1-cell/7000mAh battery, 36oz., ProtoForm T-HD body with a wing.
JimmyMack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMack12 View Post
If you're running paved oval, go with a oval-car chassis: F-14, CRC Battle Axe 3.0, HyperDrive 5.0, the new Pemberton car, TOP Rebel 10SS, Rogue, etc. These are all "direct-drive"; you didn't say if it had to be a "gearbox" car or not.

I thought about a true oval chassis as a recommendation, but the racing didn't seem competitive enough to justify a purely oval car. A pancake you can drive to the right, as well as the left. So you can drive it on a standard course, not just an oval.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMack12 View Post

No real rules on gearbox or direct drive, just has to be 1/0 scale 2 wheel drive....all else is fair. I will check out the cars you suggested.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Quote:
A Team Associated RC10R5.1 would be a good car to get, it is quite expensive though. for all purposes the CRC Gen-X10 LE will do just as well, and its about 90 dollars cheaper. That to me would be the deciding factor. Sort of in the middle is the XRAY X10, again a good choice, but a bit expensive.

One thing that i just though of... you could also go with a f1 car. its basically a lengthened and narrowed pan car.

i dont think you will get run over, cuz you will be so much faster
Thanks, I have been looking at the Team Associated, was trying to figure out which CRC might be ok. I will check out the Xray and F1 cars as well.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Quote:
I thought about a true oval chassis as a recommendation, but the racing didn't seem competitive enough to justify a purely oval car. A pancake you can drive to the right, as well as the left. So you can drive it on a standard course, not just an oval.
A pan makes more sense, we may have a road track at some point so being able to go to the right would be good!