R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Airbrush Information and Questions (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/76-airbrush-information-questions.html)

Cmotif 08-20-2001 05:37 PM

Airbrush Information and Questions

Just started using Faskolor today. What are your thoughts on it? I like that it doesn't take too much paint to do a lot. It seems pretty economical as compared with rattle cans, once you have a compressor.

Had to use a can of Badger Propel, and it took 15 ounces to do a body. That part is not cheap.

I had a little problem with the black, and so I washed it off the body, and went on to paint my next color. Is black harder to make look good than others?

Cmotif <><

Airbrush beginner!

kansasracer 08-20-2001 05:45 PM

Can someone recommend a good airbrush setup? I am sick and tired of using cans...

Thanks

JeffC 08-20-2001 05:49 PM

I airbrushed my last 3 bodies, using FasKoler and a Badger 605 (I think) brush. I've got an air compressor which is VERY nice. What happened when you used black? I haven't had any problems with it. I've got a big peice of scrap lexan that I always spray each color on to get the brush settings right, before I spray the body.

JeffC 08-20-2001 05:50 PM

kansas, I picked up a Badger 605 for $40 or so... It's single action, nothing fancy. Gets the job done, and is much easier than using spray cans. I've got a Coleman compressor, usually run about 45psi. I don't water down my paints at all, just run them straight. I've had good luck with this brush, and would reccomend it.

Speedo 08-20-2001 06:24 PM

Hey, wassup cmotif!

I'm gonna get an airbrush too, an Iwata CS. TSR6, remember you told me to email Bob a while back? Well I did, and I never got a reply :(

I've heard that you can thin them down to a 75 paint/25 water solution. I'll be using fascolors too, ordered a bunch yesterday.

What is that you used 15 ounses of?

JeffC 08-20-2001 06:29 PM

Speedo, I think he used 15oz of that canned air stuff. Definately worth getting a compressor if you've got an air brush. You'll use it for other things, as well.

Speedo 08-20-2001 06:30 PM

OH, no compressor!

AE_Racer 08-20-2001 06:32 PM

I have a cheap testors airbrush..never used it...lol

TSR6 08-20-2001 06:35 PM

Originally posted by Speedo
I'm gonna get an airbrush too, an Iwata CS. TSR6, remember you told me to email Bob a while back? Well I did, and I never got a reply :(
Sorry man, Try it again, maybe he didn't get it. :(

I've used Faskolor for about 5 (?) months now. I love it.

www.shearracing.com/tsr6/stratus.jpg

Clean, not smelly.... very easy to use. :)

kansasracer 08-20-2001 06:53 PM

OK,

So It looks from the posts that an airbrush can run me as little as $40.00. What other things do I need to run it (like a compressor, etc.) and how much do they cost.

Normally, I put money into speed hop ups, never really thought about looking good too, but what the heck.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

JeffC 08-20-2001 06:55 PM

Hey, if you're not fast, at least look good going slow! Compressors range in price. Go to the Home Depot or a store like that, and just price shop.

Cmotif 08-20-2001 07:04 PM

I have a Central Pneumatics Airbrush that I got off of E-bay for 10 dollars new.

The black looked like a spider. You would quickly spray a spot and then it would instantly grow "legs". It was the third color that I used, so I was surprised to see it do that. I also didn't like the coverage that I got with it.

My Fasgreen and white turned out good, but I didn't like my black or Razberry Fluoro.

I like how you can clean unwanted paint off the body. Very cool!

Cmotif <><

Trips 08-20-2001 07:31 PM

Originally posted by kansasracer
OK,

So It looks from the posts that an airbrush can run me as little as $40.00. What other things do I need to run it (like a compressor, etc.) and how much do they cost.

Check with some local pawn shops, I got my Campbell-Hausfeld Quiet Air for $30.00, or if you can't find one WalMart sells them for like $99 brand new. I like it better than the usual hobby shop airbrush compressors because it's got a tank and the pressure is adjustable.

I just picked up an Aztek 470 airbrush, but I haven't had a chance to paint a body with it yet.

Trips

JeffC 08-20-2001 08:16 PM

Cmotif, I'd probably try turning down the air pressure. It sounds like the paint is thinner than the rest, so you'd need a lower air pressure.

Speedo 08-20-2001 08:58 PM

I have a really old clunky and huge 2HP compressor! It's noisy, but has all the goodies.