R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #91
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Delgado View Post
If that's the RJSpeed 200mm Porsche sitting on a WGT chassis, then I'm thinking it's the old Bolink 235mm body. Looks really wide. Howardcano, is this your car? If so can you please measure the body width at the front and rear wheels? Thanks, Ed
Hey Ed,

I was just re-reading the thread and realized I hadn't seen your question. Sorry for the late reply, but here goes:

Yes, it's mine. You can tell from the crappy paint job! It's on a SpeedMerchant WGT chassis.

Body width:
front 202mm
rear 205mm

Last edited by howardcano; 10-01-2013 at 03:36 PM.
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #92
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I am a Panoz nut and have a Panoz GTR1 body in 200mm. I'm afraid that playing with it on my F103GT is what I'll be doing.

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #93
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
I am a Panoz nut and have a Panoz GTR1 body in 200mm. I'm afraid that playing with it on my F103GT is what I'll be doing.
Yes, it seems that way. I count 11 of us in the thread that are interested and located in the US.

If we were in the SCCA, we'd have enough to run our own Nationals class! (Just jesting, no disrespect intended.)
Old 10-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #94
Tech Elite

None taken! I run in SPU, which is a regional class. I'm happy to have someone to run against who is in my class! I think the most I've had in my class (not my run group) is five. Almost makes me wish that I ran Spec Miata. They started 69 cars at the Runoffs this year! They started 78 at Road Atlanta the first year. IIRC, less than 50 finished that Road Atlanta race.

USVTA member #111
Old 10-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #95
Tech Elite

http://www.deltaplastik.it/index.php...3399491970.jpg
While it is a bit of a "doorstop", here is a 962 body that might be of interest. DeltaPlastikUSA has a store on Ebay. They have just opened in the US and are still building stock, but if you e-mail [email protected] I expect that they can order it (or any other body on the DeltaPlastik.it site)

USVTA member #111
Old 10-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #96
Tech Elite

Quote:
None taken! I run in SPU, which is a regional class. I'm happy to have someone to run against who is in my class! I think the most I've had in my class (not my run group) is five. Almost makes me wish that I ran Spec Miata. They started 69 cars at the Runoffs this year! They started 78 at Road Atlanta the first year. IIRC, less than 50 finished that Road Atlanta race.
I'd guess that's why they call it Spec Pinata.

When I used to watch all the production cars on the track, I would amuse myself by remembering that there could be 25 cars out there, and each one could win its class! And RC guys complain about having too many classes?
Old 10-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #97
Tech Elite

Quote:
http://www.deltaplastik.it/index.php...3399491970.jpg
While it is a bit of a "doorstop", here is a 962 body that might be of interest. DeltaPlastikUSA has a store on Ebay. They have just opened in the US and are still building stock, but if you e-mail [email protected] I expect that they can order it (or any other body on the DeltaPlastik.it site)

I think it looks pretty good, at least from that angle. Cutting the rear dam off and mounting it higher on the fins, as a wing, would make it look even better.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #98
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardcano View Post
Yes, it seems that way. I count 11 of us in the thread that are interested and located in the US.

If we were in the SCCA, we'd have enough to run our own Nationals class! (Just jesting, no disrespect intended.)
Quote:
Lord knows rctech isn't the center of the earth. Or at least I hope not. I honestly believe that, much like VTA, this class will take some time to attract people. Many don't even know what kind of car we're talking about BUT...get a few of these out in the public eye and let's see what happens. I honestly think these bodies on WGT chassis are the way to go. These cars just look right on a pancar chassis. That appeal is worth alot !! Really, how many other body style's look as correct and beautiful with those deep wheels and fat rear tires !!??
I recently revised my ideas about the class. My club will be offering WGT-P using 17.5, blinky, 1s, open tires.
Our spec class (unless the Speedmerchant Speedspec is still available) uses the rj speed 3.2 chassis, 35t brushed motor, spec esc w/reverse, 2s lipo, stock rj speed kit tires, fixed gear ratio and the rj speed 962 body only.
BTW, did anyone like the "American Scale Endurance Racing Series" (ASERS)name ??
Apparently it's available.

Last edited by rctrackman; 10-01-2013 at 06:38 PM.
rctrackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:40 AM   #99
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctrackman View Post
Lord knows rctech isn't the center of the earth. Or at least I hope not. I honestly believe that, much like VTA, this class will take some time to attract people.
Of course, you are right. I'll keep plugging.

Quote:
I recently revised my ideas about the class. My club will be offering WGT-P using 17.5, blinky, 1s, open tires.
17.5/1s would make the cars much closer in speed to the VTA class, and that might be good, both because it's easier to drive and because the aerodynamics are then less important.

I've used 17.5/1s with both 200mm and 235mm cars on a medium-sized carpet track, and it was quite fun. It also makes the car less of a handful on low-traction asphalt.

Since I gather from the thread that most of us are interested in scale looks and close competition first, and outright speed second, should I modify the suggested WGTP rules to 17.5/1s? What does everyone think?

Last edited by howardcano; 10-02-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #100
Tech Elite

How would 17.5 1s compare to 21.5 2s or 25.5 2s? The reason that I ask is that if folks don't have to buy new equipment, I believe that they'd be more likely to take part. I'm not opposed to 17.5 1s, I'm just asking a question. :-)

Scott

USVTA member #111
Old 10-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #101
Tech Elite

Quote:
How would 17.5 1s compare to 21.5 2s or 25.5 2s? The reason that I ask is that if folks don't have to buy new equipment, I believe that they'd be more likely to take part. I'm not opposed to 17.5 1s, I'm just asking a question. :-)

Scott
17.5/1s gives about 53% of the power of 25.5/2s. At the 38 ounces I listed for a suggested minimum weight, that gives a power/weight ratio of about 76% of a VTA car. I would estimate lap times would be similar to (or slightly faster than) a VTA car.

As a point of reference, the combos and weights I have already suggested (13.5/1s/38oz and 25.5s/2s/43oz) will give lap times about the same as a 17.5 TC.

I believe 21.5/2s will be a bit too much for most of the drivers I race with.

Results will vary depending on the track and driver.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #102
Tech Elite

17.5 1s sounds good to me, especially since I'm a ham-fisted hack of a driver!

USVTA member #111
Old 10-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #103
Tech Addict

I'd like one of these, they did race them with the prototypes near the end

But only chance to get one is if I make it myself!
Old 10-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #104
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just so you know my thinking...and GOD knows I do way to much of that !!
I chose 17.5/1s because I'm familiar with 21.5/2s from F1. It's pretty quick but not unmanageable. I do think it creates an issue for newer drivers though.
I've run 21.5/1s because that's what most oval Legend classes run here in Florida. They manage the speed with a gear restriction of 81/35. With an open gear choice,that motor/batt will provide a great learning and tuning tool. The new TOUR SPEC class will be running it that way.
Why 1s ? I was convinced by earlier comments and my own experience that 1s esc's aren't really a big deal. Just another choice we have to make. In addition...those that run WGT are used to it as are most pancar classes.
I also tried 13.5/1s oval and boy was that an eye opener. I had no idea what I was doing and just couldn't see ANY beginner jumping into that.
Sooo...it seemed 17.5 would be a good speed for an onroad, spec program where close racing and scale are paramount. Again, similar thinking to VTA. Not really trying to re-write the book....just trying to find a good niche. Yes...it has to be sold to any interested driver. But look at VTA and F1. VTA was totally new and F1 has seen a rebirth but it had to be developed into what it is now and people had to buy into it.
That being said, We have to remember that any basic set of rules are a standard. That doesn't mean a club or track couldn't run a variation on the class or add a class that uses something a little different. Want more speed...go 13.5/1s or maybe go 21.5/2s. Every area that has an existing racer base might have different wishes. Much like Florida's "Outlaw Legend" as i mentioned before.
If we get the basics right and allow for a little flexibility (like open gearing and open tires, then a group running an additional variation of the basic class isn't such a stretch.
The key is to create a usable set of rules that should always be stressed as THE standard. We've got good models in VTA and F1.
I'd also like to ask that if anybody has good connections or a relationship with ANY of the body manufacturers.....let them know this class is being developed.
BTW....I WANT A SAUBER BODY !!!

Last edited by rctrackman; 10-02-2013 at 03:32 PM.
rctrackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #105
Tech Elite

Quote:
Just so you know my thinking...and GOD knows I do way to much of that !!
I chose 17.5/1s because I'm familiar with 21.5/2s from F1. It's pretty quick but not unmanageable. I do think it creates an issue for newer drivers though.
I've also tried 21.5/1s because that's what most oval Legend classes run here in Florida. They manage the speed with a gear restriction of 81/35. With open gear choice it's a really good choice for close racing. The new TOUR SPEC class will be running that.
Why 1s ? I was convinced by earlier comments and my own experience that 1s esc's aren't really a big deal. Just another choice we have to make. In addition...those that run WGT are used to it as are most pancar classes.
I also tried 13.5/1s oval and boy was that an eye opener. I had no idea what I was doing and just couldn't see ANY beginner jumping into that.
Sooo...it seemed 17.5 would be a good speed for an onroad, spec program where close racing and scale are paramount. Again, similar thinking to VTA. Not really trying to re-write the book....just trying to find a good niche. Yes...it has to be sold to any interested driver. But look at VTA and F1. VTA was totally new and F1 has seen a rebirth but it had to be developed into what it is now and people had to buy into it.
That being said, We have to remember that any basic set of rules are a standard. That doesn't mean a club or track couldn't run a variation on the class or add a class that uses something a little different. Want more speed...go 13.5/1s or maybe go 21.5/2s. Every area that has an existing racer base might have different wishes. Much like Florida's "Outlaw Legend" as i mentioned before.
If we get the basics right and allow for a little flexibility (like open gearing and open tires, then a group running an additional variation of the basic class isn't such a stretch.
The key is to create a usable set of rules that should always be stressed as THE standard. We've got good models in VTA and F1.
I'd also like to ask that if anybody has good connections or a relationship with ANY of the body manufacturers.....let them know this class is being developed.
1s LiPo cells might be better from a practical point of view, since it is always possible to put a 1s LiPo in a car designed for 2s, but trying to fit a 2s LiPo in a car designed for 1s can be a challenge.

Since almost any ESC can run 1s if a voltage booster is used, and the voltage boosters are cheap (I just bought a pair for $8 each), that's probably not a concern.

The only drawback I can think of is if someone is dead set on using 2s batteries (because that's what they have), then there is no available motor that will give performance similar to 17.5/1s. But 1s LiPos are pretty cheap... I regularly give them to beginning drivers for free!