R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
What about WGT(P)? Use all of the standard WGT chassis and tires (or some other inclusive formula) and adjust as needed? I don't see a need to reinvent the wheel. Get rid of the 13.5 motors and boosted ESCs and go to 21.5 2s blinky with a different body?
Andy is on Facebook, I believe. Wonder what it would take to get some new bodies pulled?
That's pretty much what I'm talking about: World GT chassis' with GTP bodies. If you want to go with slower moters, etc. then I think that's ok too. It's all about what the racers want.

For the hobby and class to grow you need to have a feeder system, a way for people to get started. A "sportsmans" or budget level and not have to spend soooooo much money to get started. Believe me, I've been around RC for a long time-a lot of prospective racers get put off by what some racers spend on their equipment. Granted, some of those newcomers will stay and some will drop out. Without a lower cost alternative you will have less people coming in to the hobby. That's why I was pushing for Tamiya to get involved with a new 1/10 GTP chassis- an RM-02 for instance. A car that could be fun to drive out of the box as-is or be upgraded and still be competitive with other 200mm pan cars currently on the market.

BTW, I shot Andy a message on Facebook last week asking about his 1/10 Mercedes C11 and someone replied that they had none left. Not sure what is going on there
Ed Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Porsche 962 in action!

http://youtu.be/SDXsUtFSMAs

By the way, notice that all the top cars are 962C's. That's what I mean when I say that the 962 was the most numerous and prolific sports prototype ever produced. FYI: the lead car is Han Stuck in the factory entered 962, which had the first ever paddle- shift transmission used in a race car. It also had 19 inch rear wheels- this allowed for higher under body ground effects tunnels for more downforce. This was something quickly copied by the Brun team as seen on the Rial and Jagermeister cars in 3rd and 4th. The second placed car is the Joest entered Blaupunkt entry driven by the late and great Bob Wollek.

Last edited by Ed Delgado; 09-21-2013 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 09-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Default Classic IMSA Racing

IMSA in its heyday. Factory entries from Chevrolet, Ford, Nissan, BMW and lots of 962's. Watch the stellar drive put in by Bob Wollek in Bruce Leven's Bayside Motorsports Budweiser Porsche 962. Awesome stuff....

http://youtu.be/1b6HnDDjVdQ
Old 09-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I am an SCCA corner worker and work primarily at Road Atlanta. I've been fortunate enough to see the coming (and soon to be going) of the ALMS. Love these cars. Would love to have a 333SP, and I do have Panoz GTR-1 bodies in 190mm and 200mm. I have some others as well. Only four weeks until the last ALMS race. Come on up, Ed. It'll be fun!

Interesting to see EFR. I've chatted with him a few times at Road Atlanta. He and my dad both live in Denver, NC. I keep waiting to see him at the local pizza joint.

USVTA member #111

Last edited by NutDriver; 09-21-2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
NutDriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #20
Tech Champion

I love driving Road Atlanta in iRacing

WGT is already no boost so we don't need to go about getting rid of boosted ESCs. Now that there are a number of 1s ESCs out there too I really like the 1s platform. 2s 21.5 could be interesting too...that's what the F1 cars are already running. It would be a bit quicker than WGT and wouldn't feel as anemic as the 1s 13.5 does in a car that sized. WGTP is certainly easier to say than RCHSR...I was thinking PPR...Pan car Prototype Racing or I guess that could be PCP too. But we might have some addiction issues with that
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
I am an SCCA corner worker and work primarily at Road Atlanta. I've been fortunate enough to see the coming (and soon to be going) of the ALMS. Love these cars. Would love to have a 333SP, and I do have Panoz GTR-1 bodies in 190mm and 200mm. I have some others as well. Only four weeks until the last ALMS race. Come on up, Ed. It'll be fun!

Interesting to see EFR. I've chatted with him a few times at Road Atlanta. He and my dad both live in Denver, NC. I keep waiting to see him at the local pizza joint.
I had the distinct pleasure of watching the Ferrari 333sp in action at the Daytona 24 Hours. What a beautiful sound they made! I remember standing at the start/finish line on Sunday morning when there were fewer cars and hearing one screaming along from far away on the turn 4 banking, come down the pit straight and scream on by. I'll never forget the slight whistling sound it made as it passed by, the whistling noise sounded like it was sucking in so much air to the singing 12 cylinder engine-just awesome! Another classic body never produced by the RC industry just like the Porsche 962 (not properly anyway)!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
I love driving Road Atlanta in iRacing

WGT is already no boost so we don't need to go about getting rid of boosted ESCs. Now that there are a number of 1s ESCs out there too I really like the 1s platform. 2s 21.5 could be interesting too...that's what the F1 cars are already running. It would be a bit quicker than WGT and wouldn't feel as anemic as the 1s 13.5 does in a car that sized. WGTP is certainly easier to say than RCHSR...I was thinking PPR...Pan car Prototype Racing or I guess that could be PCP too. But we might have some addiction issues with that
You make a good point about calling it WGTP-I think that sounds better than RCHSR.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I had a Ferrari 333sp body in 12th scale. I think it was made by bolink.

I also got a Parma Chevy Intrepid body for my 10L2.

I would really like to have Andy's and HPI Jag bodies.

Speaking of v12's, the sound coming from the v12 Jags at full song was awesome. Yes, I am a Jaguar fan, IMSA and grp C.
RoyU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyU View Post
I had a Ferrari 333sp body in 12th scale. I think it was made by bolink.

I also got a Parma Chevy Intrepid body for my 10L2.

I would really like to have Andy's and HPI Jag bodies.

Speaking of v12's, the sound coming from the v12 Jags at full song was awesome. Yes, I am a Jaguar fan, IMSA and grp C.
Yep, I remember watching the Castrol Jags racing at the 1988 Daytona 24 hours. Tried to stay up all night as the Jags and Porsches went at it. Great racing azalea night long. If you stood close to the fence on the tri-oval you could smell the castor oil like smell coming from the Jag exhaust. Their fearboxes sounded terrible though-crunchy sounding downshifts. Got to see them up close and personal later that year at the Miami GP.

The Intrepid was a great handling body too-won a few races with that one!
Old 09-22-2013, 01:10 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There are TONS of 1/12th scale bodies that you can buy that fall into this idea.

Just buy a RM-01 and buy the bodies. No need to make them 1/10th
Old 09-22-2013, 02:22 AM   #26
Tech Champion

1/12th is not the same...1/10th works with parking lot racing much better than 1/12th does. Plus there is plenty of space on the chassis to mount electronics any way you want Not to mention the ratio of front suspension height to tire height and rear pod height to tire height makes it more difficult to have scale bodies. Yes there are some nice pretty scale bodies in 1/12th...but they can be done so much better in 1/10th.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #27
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Another vote for WGTP. Just sounds right.
Got a question. It seems there's some bouncing around in chassis thoughts. Some see gtp using a wgt style pancar chassis where others see using a F1 style chassis.
Does anybody have defined thoughts on whether there's any advantage between the 2 ??
My general thinking is to go with wgt style. There's a bit of variety in F1 chassis these days and that might cause some issues in WGTP trying to find it's own identity. The more common pancar wgt chassis may have subtle differences between manufacturers but the basics of fat rear tires, simple front ends, simple rear ends and plenty of room for electronics is all there.
We're setting up our gtp class for 25.5/2 cell currently but may end up going 21.5. We'll be promoting the 235mm width so that will likely have an impact on power choice.
Why 235mm ??
Overall, it appears 235mm for gtp style cars is more popular WORLDWIDE. That creates a group people can identify with and share info with.
Chassis or conversion parts are available as well as bodies since the European pro10 market still drives manufacturers.
Tires/wheels should never be a problem since oval, wgt,pro10 all share the same.
Older, used chassis like the 10L can be found if budget is a severe problem.(And YES I think we need a good quality,less expensive pancar chassis. $225 to over $300 for wgt chassis is just plain dumb)
Most important is FEEL. The 235 car is inherently more stable. Combined with a reasonable motor, that car will give the driver a better sensation of control. That makes the first impression more thrilling and satisfying and THAT may lead to a commited , new rc driver.
Just my own thoughts. Lord I think too much !!!
rctrackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctrackman View Post
We'll be promoting the 235mm width so that will likely have an impact on power choice.
Why 235mm ??
Overall, it appears 235mm for gtp style cars is more popular WORLDWIDE. That creates a group people can identify with and share info with.
Chassis or conversion parts are available as well as bodies since the European pro10 market still drives manufacturers.
Tires/wheels should never be a problem since oval, wgt,pro10 all share the same.
Older, used chassis like the 10L can be found if budget is a severe problem.(And YES I think we need a good quality,less expensive pancar chassis. $225 to over $300 for wgt chassis is just plain dumb)
Most important is FEEL. The 235 car is inherently more stable. Combined with a reasonable motor, that car will give the driver a better sensation of control. That makes the first impression more thrilling and satisfying and THAT may lead to a commited , new rc driver.
Just my own thoughts. Lord I think too much !!!
I agree that 235mm is easier to drive, and old chassis are still widely available and affordable. But will you also allow the 200mm cars if that's what someone prefers to race? I don't see any issues with this, and you'll have a much larger pool of possible participants.
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #29
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardcano View Post
I agree that 235mm is easier to drive, and old chassis are still widely available and affordable. But will you also allow the 200mm cars if that's what someone prefers to race? I don't see any issues with this, and you'll have a much larger pool of possible participants.
You know...I hadn't really thought about it howard but it does make sense. This class would be for drivers with some experience already since we offer a novice class using the RJ Speed 3.2 chassis. Although there's nothing that say's you HAVE to be experienced, the level of performance and cost would probably keep most new racers away. In that sense, letting the driver choose which platform they want to run would be good. Thanks for the thought !!

Would the same concept be useful for this new WGTP concept ?? I'm sure Ed would like to hear.
rctrackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #30
Tech Elite

RJSpeed also makes the 200mm Porsche 962. As for the old Bolink molds he also has most of them. I've had the 200mm 962 for awhile. Maybe Andy's will also make their bodies in 200mm as that is the standard for now.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote