Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

VBC Lightning 12

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

made those changes to the mod car and tweaked my stock one a little bit for saturday. honestly the mod car was pretty easy to handle all stock it was the stock one i was having difficulty with.
ill have to buy a few more sets of soft springs. 45s i the back 55s up front but ill prob run 50s. i have 45s for front too if those compare to .18/19.
are there any aftermarket center springs, or just the vbc ones?

not gonna lie, i was kinda down before racing on saturday due to my previous performances but this last weekend fired me back up! third place finish, even beating someone from up island who routinely kicks my ass lol.
prob a few more years before close to par with blake and craig though. I was in it for more than half the race, maybe a second behind blake in second but something happened mid race and the two of them just took off.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by valk
made those changes to the mod car and tweaked my stock one a little bit for saturday. honestly the mod car was pretty easy to handle all stock it was the stock one i was having difficulty with.
ill have to buy a few more sets of soft springs. 45s i the back 55s up front but ill prob run 50s. i have 45s for front too if those compare to .18/19.
are there any aftermarket center springs, or just the vbc ones?

not gonna lie, i was kinda down before racing on saturday due to my previous performances but this last weekend fired me back up! third place finish, even beating someone from up island who routinely kicks my ass lol.
prob a few more years before close to par with blake and craig though. I was in it for more than half the race, maybe a second behind blake in second but something happened mid race and the two of them just took off.
Glad I could help! Does your car need anything else?
Old 02-18-2014, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Proper mount for a rollover antenna?
Old 02-18-2014, 10:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
Proper mount for a rollover antenna?
its coming
Old 02-18-2014, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

A center shock that doesn't leak lol. It doesbt feel bubbly yet buy definitely some oil getting past the o ring in the cap.
How much adjustment on upper arm width do I have before I need to change crossbrace? I went down to 0.5 in front and didn't even consider this lol.
We don't run mod that much at club racing so focus is on 13.5 mostly. Car seemed to drive nicely I just fail at finding the sweet spot in motors ha
Old 02-18-2014, 11:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

A center shock that doesn't leak lol. It doesbt feel bubbly yet buy definitely some oil getting past the o ring in the cap.
How much adjustment on upper arm width do I have before I need to change crossbrace? I went down to 0.5 in front and didn't even consider this lol.
We don't run mod that much at club racing so focus is on 13.5 mostly. Car seemed to drive nicely I just fail at finding the sweet spot in motors ha
As soon as you change the upper arm length to longer or shorter you cant run the brace. There is a different brace that VBC sells that you can run when the upper arm is shorter than stock. I made my own brace by screwing standoffs together. But for any low bite tracks I would not run the brace up front.

As for the shock use a lot of green slime on the o-ring.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Transverse setup almost done!
Old 02-23-2014, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

My supplier didn't have blue fronts. Told me they dint exist. But I tried blue rears magenta fronts in 13.5 definitely freer and more lively than magenta green but a little less predictable. Car had tooons of steering and tons of traction and I was probably loaing corner speed being so planted. Or hitting the apex as it was just so responsive lol.

Mod I didn't get a chance to try blues.

Gonna go back to.just one class I think for remainder of season. I keep switching back and forth between my hobbywing and tekin rs and am.always chasing horsepower.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:09 PM
Tech Adept

Attached Thumbnails VBC Lightning 12-145.jpg  
Old 02-24-2014, 10:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

My supplier didn't have blue fronts. Told me they dint exist. But I tried blue rears magenta fronts in 13.5 definitely freer and more lively than magenta green but a little less predictable. Car had tooons of steering and tons of traction and I was probably loaing corner speed being so planted. Or hitting the apex as it was just so responsive lol.

Gonna go back to.just one class I think for remainder of season. I keep switching back and forth between my hobbywing and tekin rs and am.always chasing horsepower.
Yep, don't worry about blue fronts for now. Hopefully here in a little bit your supplier will know more

Your experience with magenta/blue is different than what I would expect. Green rears are a little softer than Blue rears, but have less side bite and should give the car more steering. Blue rears will lock the rear end of the car in and make it have a little less steering. Magentas will definitely give you more steering than a Team Purple, but will actually be a little easier to drive since they come in quickly and (I think) fade more over the run. Just my experiences though, other opinions might vary.

If the Magentas feel too edgy for your liking, try Pink fronts. They will fade more with a mod car if you drive it hard in the first couple of minutes, but the car should be easier to drive.

Blues are the de-facto choice for mod now. You can try Greens, but I personally think they don't have enough side bite for when you get on it out of the corner late in the run.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

I did find the mod car more skidish this time out. But I set it up closer to max's setup with differebt tires so who knows. Box stock, magenta green worked great in mod.

Stock car was quite good. I mm just fighting blinky. Maybe the greens will stay on that as I was faster there with otherwise the same setup. Switching escs and moving all over the map with timing and rollout is definitely killing me.
Of course I am losing a lot of corner speed trying to keep tight lines. Prob just inexperience.

Driving wise I can hange with the top three but I still make.mistakes and suck at setup lol
Ill have a fast run in round one and won't really get a lot faster but stay fairly consistant barring any catastrophies. Thise guys however will gain a lap or.more.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

I always end up going back to pink front and blue rear. Seems to work everywhere and doesn't make the car do stupid things like double steer or hike.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

The stock springs for the Lightning, where would those fall with respect to the Associated springs?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
The stock springs for the Lightning, where would those fall with respect to the Associated springs?
Not quite sure, I think the stock springs feel a little bit stiffer than an AE silver... I just use AE springs because thats what I have the most of.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:45 AM
Tech Adept

I see a few VBC in the 12th scale mod A main at the nats. Good luck guys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.