Search
Like Tree3Likes

VBC Lightning 12

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 09:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by valk
tonight went much better. qualified 7th overall and finished there. i changed batteries for the bump to the amain "5car mains" but all the speed i had to win the B was gone in the a.
I set the car up with max's front end and tried a few different things with the rear. ran crc magenta/green combo all night with 3k in the tubes, 50wt in the middle on 3 holes. this seems to work very well for magenta/green but i tried black/greylow and the car was on ice.. soooo pushy. I think the stock springs might be a touch too stiff in the front for that tire combination, which i ran all the time with my associated. ill be picking up a full set of front and rear crc springs next race day, and trying to get the car to work with black/greylow again as its pretty norm for our track on a club race.

the setup i ran tonight should work very well for the mod car though on our carpet. the car had TONS of traction, pretty much on rails all night but this might have cost me some time in corners. i tried putting stiffer lube in the tubes but made the rear end washout unexpectedly. stayed with 3k all night.

i also tried magenta greylow but that was way way too much front end bite. maybe softening the rear more would have helped.
for my driving style the mod tires worked well, but maybe for stock ill need to adjust my driving style. which is difficult.

next week off. hopefully the following week i can sort the car out on the standard stock tires and figure out rollout/timing for my hobbywing 1s and reedy mach2 13.5. havent had a lot of tracktime on carpet this year and havent really figure out what that motor likes yet. last year was 17.5 boost and i had that pretty well figured out.. i went from top 3 to struggling to make the top 8..

im also going to try running transverse. my best results in stock was with my onpoint 5.1 conversion which was transverse. when i went to the 5.2 inline i had some trouble getting the same corner speed. which sounds strange but meh. all about tracktime i guess. the transverse seemed to corner better on 135s and similar where the inline was better in chicanes obviously. usually we have more 135 in series but not always a chicane.
meh. I still noob.
Ive also been thinking about trying the car in the transverse configuration. Let me know how it works outs for you.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm running gravity rc foams on my Lightning12 but I can't get it under the legal width limit of 172mm for our rules. It's sitting at 173.3mm. I've got no spacers in the rear axle either. Had no problems with my old x12. Am I left with the only option of cutting down the rims?
Old 02-10-2014, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Same here. I did hear a rumour a while back that they might come out with new hubs. Anyone have any info on this? Thanks.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bama racer
Ive also been thinking about trying the car in the transverse configuration. Let me know how it works outs for you.
Do it. Now.

Here are some words I wrote about it, if you are interested:

http://chrishillier.com/wp/?p=87

But more importantly, here is the setup sheet:

http://chrishillier.com/wp/wp-conten...eb_09_2014.pdf

Originally Posted by Lycan
I'm running gravity rc foams on my Lightning12 but I can't get it under the legal width limit of 172mm for our rules. It's sitting at 173.3mm. I've got no spacers in the rear axle either. Had no problems with my old x12. Am I left with the only option of cutting down the rims?
I don't know anyone else who has tried the Gravity rears, but from what Max K has told me, the rear width should be right at 172 with the BSR offset (2 mm) which I believe is the same as Gravity.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Chris,
Does that setup work well for 17.5 blinky? If not, do you have a suggestion for a setup to use?

thanks,
tim
Old 02-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rc_speed
Chris,
Does that setup work well for 17.5 blinky? If not, do you have a suggestion for a setup to use?

thanks,
tim
Hey Tim! Sorry we didn't find the time to look over your Lightning yesterday, but hopefully we can sort some of it out via rctech.

Disclaimer, I haven't tried it in stock.

With that said, I can't imagine why it wouldn't work reasonably well (flashback to Chicky running nearly the exact same setup in mod and stock at nats in 2012.) I would recommend trying it out with your normal black/orange tire combo and then seeing whether you start to lose the rear towards the end of the run. If so, think about either leveling out the shock or going softer tube lube/side spring. I have only ran this setup with mod tires (blues/Ulti XM) so I just don't know how it will treat stock tires. Should be fine, but just try it and see. Either way, the setup is really straightforward (nothing ridiculous), the biggest thing is just going to transverse instead of inline. Hope this helps, and I will be sure to look over your car next weekend if you come up for racing.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:38 PM
Tech Addict

thanks. I will take a look at my car and see what I need to do to change it. I tried transverse when I first got the car at the pueblo track, and didn't like it. But that track was a lot tighter and slower. Now I have 2 cars with one dedicated to pueblo and one to 5280.

I won't make it next week, but I am hoping to come up on a saturday, soon, so that I can work on getting my 1/12 and touring car set up. A well tuned car is easier to drive than one that is not.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Unfortunately gravity are 1.5mm Offset. Wish there was some room for movement rather than it being right on the limit. Oh well.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:15 AM
Tech Addict

ok. It is early in the morning and my brain is not functioning at 100% yet.

Chris, on your setup sheet you are using the outside rear side spring position. If I remember correctly, you have to raise the rear cross bar (that the side links and body mount are on) 2mm. Is this correct?
Do you also have to raise the rear graphite shock mount plate 2mm?

Also, what is the best way to mount the battery in the car? It doesn't appear that the slots in the chassis go wide enough for the transverse battery and if you tape it in by running the tape to the outside edge of the chassis, won't it slide a little?
Do you have a part number for the Associated Olive side spring? I couldn't find Olive, but I am using ASC4642 Team Associated Side Spring, Green, 4.38 lbs. Is this the same thing?

thanks,
tim
Old 02-11-2014, 06:25 AM
Tech Master

ok. It is early in the morning and my brain is not functioning at 100% yet.

Chris, on your setup sheet you are using the outside rear side spring position. If I remember correctly, you have to raise the rear cross bar (that the side links and body mount are on) 2mm. Is this correct?
Do you also have to raise the rear graphite shock mount plate 2mm?

Also, what is the best way to mount the battery in the car? It doesn't appear that the slots in the chassis go wide enough for the transverse battery and if you tape it in by running the tape to the outside edge of the chassis, won't it slide a little?

thanks,
tim
Hey Tim, no worries, these are all very valid questions.

I raised the rear crossbrace by 2.5 mm actually, which just gives enough clearance for AE side springs to 'just' touch the sidelinks if the tweak screws are backed out all of the way. I didn't raise the upper pod/shock plate, though, which means that yes, my side tubes are not as inclined as the stock setup. Still plenty of clearance though.

I taped the battery around the outside edge of the chassis. It is honestly the only way to do it, and if done correctly the battery doesn't move around at all. You just have to be sure to keep the tape taut as you apply it and all should be good.

Whatever you do, don't use double-sided tape under the battery. First off, it is a pain at big races when you charge in a lipo sack. Second, the battery is the most critical part of the car in relation to CG. Even lowering/raising the battery by half of a mm makes a huge difference for CG, so when traction is high and you want the car to stay level, you really need to keep that battery slammed to the chassis. On a related sidenote, if anybody out there can machine a battery pocket for me on a stock VBC chassis, PM me...

Hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:39 AM
Tech Addict

thanks. that clears up quite a bit.
Is my Green spring the same as the olive or do you have a part number for the olive spring?
I've searched both amain and tower and can't find an associated olive spring.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:45 AM
Tech Master

thanks. that clears up quite a bit.
Is my Green spring the same as the olive or do you have a part number for the olive spring?
I've searched both amain and tower and can't find an associated olive spring.
Yep, Green = Olive. I say olive to just avoid confusion with CRC green. Part number is AE #4642.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Finally getting this out this weekend! WOOHOO! Just dropped some fresh paint as well.

Also loaded pictures of the car centered, and at full left and full right lock.
Attached Thumbnails VBC Lightning 12-2014-02-13-15.47.14-large-.jpg   VBC Lightning 12-2013-12-15-20.30.46-large-.jpg   VBC Lightning 12-2014-02-01-09.33.03-large-.jpg   VBC Lightning 12-2014-02-01-09.33.14-large-.jpg   VBC Lightning 12-2014-02-01-09.33.20-large-.jpg  

Old 02-13-2014, 01:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
Finally getting this out this weekend! WOOHOO! Just dropped some fresh paint as well.

The car looks great! I am loving the black electronics!
Old 02-13-2014, 01:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr

Very nice wiring job too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.