R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default JACO Touring Car Tires & Wheels

I was wondering if anybody has an issue with the hex in the Jaco rim stripping out? I have noticed this issue for about a year now. I was told it was possible my cars hex being worn, but my cars (xray T4) were brand new. I have replaced them (hex) and still have the issue. I know serpent cars that have the same issue, and heard of others as well. I run mainly 17.5 blinky.

If you have had this issue, what did you do to prevent it?
Old 09-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Are you sure the wheel isnt backing out the nut some and stripping? Are you running the serrated wheel nuts or smooth? How much play is there in the hex?
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've destroyed a lot of Jacos on my Serpent, but never had a problem with the hexes. The hex is not very deep, so if you're running more than 1mm of wheel spacers, I could see there potentially being a problem.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiiina View Post
Are you sure the wheel isnt backing out the nut some and stripping? Are you running the serrated wheel nuts or smooth? How much play is there in the hex?
I run the serrated wheel nuts and have this issue. My friend uses the flat nylock nut and has the same issue. Also the wheel nut is always tight when the car comes off the track.

I am running no spacers between the hex and wheel.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I remember when we used to run jaco's at our club. It seemed the hex was just a hair to big and when you put a lot of force on it it would slip one rotation. I kept mine as tight as I could and it still did it now and the. We ended up changing to sweeps although not for this reason.

XRAY T4'14/ORCA VXX/ORCA TX 5.0
XRAY XB8'14
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerz616 View Post
I remember when we used to run jaco's at our club. It seemed the hex was just a hair to big and when you put a lot of force on it it would slip one rotation. I kept mine as tight as I could and it still did it now and the. We ended up changing to sweeps although not for this reason.
I hear ya, but my biggest concern is this is the spec tire for birds and I want to resolve this problem before then so I can practice with these tires.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
I hear ya, but my biggest concern is this is the spec tire for birds and I want to resolve this problem before then so I can practice with these tires.
I hear ya. I don't think there is a fix. That's what we are using this weekend in Nashville so I hope it doesn't cause any issues.

XRAY XB8'14
Old 10-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
Tech Regular

After racing at Vegas, did anybody have an issue with the hex not holding up? These tires are honestly the reason I am considering skipping snowbirds.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
After racing at Vegas, did anybody have an issue with the hex not holding up? These tires are honestly the reason I am considering skipping snowbirds.
I didn't hear of any issues - you should go to Snowbirds. See you next week at the Gate.

Regards,
Ian
Old 10-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I've burned through thousands of dollars in Jaco and never had a single issue with a rim. It makes me wonder if there's something unique to your track/boards that might be causing an issue.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Too many board meetings?
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I have came off the track ( thunder Rc Nashville Tn ) many times with a wheel wobbling and found it to be a wheel twisted on the hex. Tho I feel its from board meeting its always the fronts and when I have this issue I'll either rotate tire to rear of car or put a drop of med Ca glue inside the hex and let it flow all around the hex then dry then remount on car . this has got me thru the race days so far . never felt as if the rim was keeping me out of the A...
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Mugen10 Send a message via Skype™ to Mugen10

I have had the rim and hex do this. I do think maybe the rim is a bit softer than other rims. A friend also had same issue. We just rotate the tire in the rear. It has never fully stripped but I do see the problem. The adding CA sounds like a good idea to try.
Mugen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hmm. I'll have to take a closer look at the hex, I keep having a problem with the left front wheel on my T3 coming loose. I had assumed until reading this post that it was something that I was doing even though I tighten it at the beginning of each run. Now I wonder if it's a bad hex. I run at the same track as syndr0me, but I have significantly more board meetings than he does.
Colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:39 PM   #15
Tech Master

As far as the hex goes I think jaco's are just a hair bigger then others. I always have a little play around the hex whereas with the sweeps we changed to they set a tight fit from the start.

XRAY XB8'14