R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-22-2005, 02:24 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Default Laying down the TRACTION?

Our track is unsealed asphalt. We are using grapesoda to spray down for traction. Only problem is that we can't get the soda thick enough to keep the syrup and sugar from sinking into the pores of the asphalt. We were using chemical sprayers like the ones for gardening and spraying week killers. Last week, I just straight poured the soda out of the bottle on one part of the track. It made a nice dark puddle. That was the only part of the track that had true high traction. So........

What is the best method to spraying out grapesoda on asphalt to get even and thick traction throughout the turn?

I'm thinking about designing a PVC pipe that has a funnel at the top and slits in the bottom. The bottles would be poured into the top and the soda would run through the pipe and exti through hand drilled slits in the lower end of the pipe. Has anybody experimented with a method like this?
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 02:44 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

Goto Lowes, Home Depot or maybe even Wal-mart and get one of the insect sprayers. They are only about $20 and work great.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...041&lpage=none
Old 06-22-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

can you just get a 2-liter bottle of grapesoda... shake it up really good.. then stab a hole in bottom part with an xacto knife? that cause it to come out and act as a sprayer.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:30 PM   #4
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki
can you just get a 2-liter bottle of grapesoda... shake it up really good.. then stab a hole in bottom part with an xacto knife? that cause it to come out and act as a sprayer.
smart!
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:37 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Here's a idea, at a local track of mine with the grape soda method spray it around as everyone is saying with some sort of sprayer. Maybe the idea of looking into the nizzle with a large spray capacity would be more beneficial toward your case. Also don't forget to sweep the traction around, use a commerical size one to get all of that soda you just sprayed around the track. This method should help you a lot. Hope this helps you!
Old 06-22-2005, 04:09 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Chad I was thinking of some kind of roller/squeegy to push it around before it dries, pour it down across a corner and roll/push it with the squeegy to spread it.
RKeasler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 04:23 PM   #7
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey

this isn't about how to apply it but....

how come a lot of american tracks put stuff down to aid traction?

i mean a well set up car will drive well on a car with no 'traction aids' anyway...like all our tracks int he UK don't use this, and most in europe don't but we still get enough grip.

and you have hotter weather...most of the time so is there any reason for this?
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 04:33 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BillyCaldwell

I think its because most of our asphault tracks also double as shopping center parkinglots etc. Where the prepared tracks overseas are made for racing. That is my opinion, I could be wrong.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:47 PM   #9
Tech Master

oh, ok.....we very rarely run on carparks over here as tracks..although i think a couple of clubs do.

so what happens to the stuff you put down after the meeting..do you just wash it away, leave it and it just wears away?
Old 06-22-2005, 05:05 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Hebiki: That's a great idea! I was thinking about spraying it down 1:1scale victory lane style, but a slit in the bottle would be much easier.

Rkeasler: Sponge method could work out nicely. If someone at the track has something to spread it, we can try that idea.

Monkey: It might have to do with the higher temps. Generally, a cold track is faster than a hot track. Faster=more traction.

BTW: Our track is EXTREMELY low traction. Yeah, we can make the cars stick in the turns, but we end up sacraficing tire longevity. Also, since our track has such low traction, we aren't getting any good experience for other tracks with more traction.

We have the sprayers. I even have the heavy duty high capacity sprayer, but we need to get a 1/8th inch glaze in each turn and it takes too long to stand in each turn for 5 minutes before the soda pools up.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:44 PM   #11
Tech Master

ahh so you don't coat the whole track...just the corners?
Old 06-22-2005, 06:15 PM   #12
Tech Elite

I've been to tracks in parking lots or similar where they do both. The real key is to hose down the track or at least leaf blow the track so most of the small pebbles and dust is gone, then let dry and spray. If you skip this step, the dust just makes a mess with the soda.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:59 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Our asphalt is similiar to the older roads and highways. It has the light grey look with the unsmooth grade. Here are some pics: http://carolinarc.com/tcpics2005.html
Old 06-22-2005, 08:10 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Too much soda is as bad as too little. You NEVER want pour it on the ground. Too much soda can crystallize in heat and reduce traction or get gummy can cause a greasy feeling track. As mentioned before garden sprayers are the best tools to spray a track.

Also, as edseb said blowing off the track must be done to get good results. Every track in Florida has a leaf blower ands a garden sprayer to prep the track. Considering what we spend on this hobby these two items are not too expensive for a shop, track, club to buy.

There are a lot of different compositions of asphalt that we race on but you can lump them together into 3 different stages of life.

1. New Asphalt: Black and soft freshly laid asphalt is the highest traction surface. Blow it off, spray the entire racing surface lightly ands you are good to go.

2. Old Asphalt: Grey and hard oxidized asphalt is what most of us race on. All asphalt eventually gets like this. The asphalt gets lighter as oxygen in the air oxidizes the asphalt oils and rain/wind erosion strips off surface oils. To race on this surface blow it off, spray the entire racing surface until it is an even gray color slightly darker than when you started. The soda will soak in. Thats OK all you want to do is keep down the dust you couldn't blow off. Spray the entire track or if a racer gets off line they will run out into "the marbles" and it will take at least a full lap before that get all that dust and junk scrubbed off their tires.

3. Sealed asphalt: Sealer can be sprayed on or painted on with rollers. Many track think this is a good idea but there are lots of problems associated with this. When freshly sealed traction is super high. However,within 12 months the sealer will lose its traction in the racing groove. Natural oxidation and racing will wear the sealer down and you will end up with asphalt with all its pores filled in. This is the lowest traction surface you will ever race on. What ends up happening is ever year you have to re seal. Then you have good traction for a few months...then it goes away. Adding sand to the sealer doesn't help as oxidation, rain and racing will wear the sand away. Eventually you end up with a polished black track that look like the top of an ebony piano. Ripon R/C Speedway in Nor Cal and SRS in Scottsdale are examples of polished track. Luckily both tracts are owned by people that reseal regularly and keep them on top shape. However, ask the owners and they will say they wished they never sealed the track.

Things that help traction:

1. Lots of racing: The more racers the higher the traction from all the rubber getting laid down.

2. Nitro Racing: The rubber from foam tires and the Castor oil from exhaust all improve traction. Remember, traction compounds are mostly oil

3. Traction Compounds: No matter how hot always use something. If you think your fast with no traction compound wait until one guy that knows better shows up at your track and flat out spanks all the locals. Trinity Tire Tweak is great for hot days on asphalt on any tire. If its night racing or cooler weather try Paragon Ground Effects or FXII.

4. Softer springs, more chassis roll, more chassis flex: All of these generate more traction. Save the 3mm chassis and top deck for carpet season. There is a reason why Xray and HPI just released 2mm chassis kits for their cars. I bet sooner than later AE will have a 2mm or 2.5mm chassis and flexy top for the FT TC4. The Schumacher Mi2 has always been 2mm or 2.5mm

Good Racing...

Last edited by AdrianM; 06-22-2005 at 08:20 PM.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:19 PM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Note: VHT is a nice big event solution to traction problems but it is super expensive to maintain and dangerous. It has to be cut with alcohol before it is sprayed on, it needs regular respraying with alcohol to reactivate it and if you don't get it just right the traction will swing from tons to none at all from one round to the next.

Stick with the cheapest soda you can find
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote