R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Sintered Rotors - 12.5mm and 13mm - KV

Hi all... I am not sure if this was already covered.... I am about to 'employ' a 12.5mm or 13mm LRP Sintered Rotor for my x12 4.5t... I would like to know if there is any info that speaks to the change in KV ratings once the new rotors are installed...

Any help will be appreciated...

Alien
angry-alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry-alien View Post
Hi all... I am not sure if this was already covered.... I am about to 'employ' a 12.5mm or 13mm LRP Sintered Rotor for my x12 4.5t... I would like to know if there is any info that speaks to the change in KV ratings once the new rotors are installed...

Any help will be appreciated...

Alien
Keep adding more gear to make up for the lost of Rpms.

Gear to temperature but not over 160 degree F.
Mr RCTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr RCTech View Post
Keep adding more gear to make up for the lost of Rpms.

Gear to temperature but not over 160 degree F.
Hmmm... So it's basically trial and error? I was hoping i could find info that can be used in the 'speed calculator' to really have an idea for setup before getting to the track... I occasionally switch between RP Take offs and Sorex...

Thanks for quick response

Alien
Old 09-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry-alien View Post
Hmmm... So it's basically trial and error? I was hoping i could find info that can be used in the 'speed calculator' to really have an idea for setup before getting to the track... I occasionally switch between RP Take offs and Sorex...

Thanks for quick response

Alien
Motor resistance, rotor strength,static motor timing, transmission ratio, etc...
Too many variables.
Mr RCTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr RCTech View Post
Motor resistance, rotor strength,static motor timing, transmission ratio, etc...
Too many variables.
Understood...

Thanks a lot!
Old 09-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Why are you considering a rotor change? What are you looking for?
Old 09-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Carter View Post
Why are you considering a rotor change? What are you looking for?
Well, i have been running the 4.5t for a while now and instead of getting a new motor I though updating it would make more sense...
The track I 'occasionally' race at is a relatively small asphalt surface... I found the top speed to be pretty good on the track, but I wanted a
little more torque to pull out of long sweeps and tight bends... Basically what I have read so far is that this upgrade will produce a noticeable
increase in torque while still allowing the system to stay within the temp limits... The car is a X-ray T1 with a 3.5mm chassis (a pig,
but a quick one)...

Alien
Old 09-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
Tech Master

OK, well the 12.5mm works team rotor may produce more torque for you without a big heat trade off. Same diameter but it is a noticeably stronger magnet so there should be more toque available.

I don't think I would try the 13.0mm version myself because LRP motors already have a a ton of torque compared to some others. In fact I'm really surprised to hear you say you need more torque with that motor.

Are you running boost in your ESC? What FDR are you using?
Old 09-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
OK, well the 12.5mm works team rotor may produce more torque for you without a big heat trade off. Same diameter but it is a noticeably stronger magnet so there should be more toque available.

I don't think I would try the 13.0mm version myself because LRP motors already have a a ton of torque compared to some others. In fact I'm really surprised to hear you say you need more torque with that motor.

Are you running boost in your ESC? What FDR are you using?
The 12.5mm was my first choice... I agree that X12's produce a pretty good power, I just don't mind having a little more ...

I am currently using the recommended 9.5 for FDR... Tried 8.7 recently and the batteries were not impressed and the motor was a little warmer after the run too... The esc is a TC spec Sphere... Depending on the day, I will switch between 1 and 3 for the output... going to 5 becomes a little aggressive and the system gets a little hot... I also never mess with the timing blocks on the motor...

Alien
Old 09-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
Tech Master

I have not used a sphere esc so I'm not sure about it's profiles. Most times the 4.5's don't take nearly the boost available for spec motors so I can see keeping your profile fairly low for this.

Remember that the stock rotor is 12.5mm too so be sure you are getting the works team rotor not the standard 12.5mm stock replacement.

I'm surprised at your gearing. 8.4 fdr is pretty normal for 4.5's on most tracks and I'm able to run my 4.5's there and keep them from cooking. Though, most mod motors will come off at 180+ (f). Are you over that now?
Old 09-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:
I have not used a sphere esc so I'm not sure about it's profiles. Most times the 4.5's don't take nearly the boost available for spec motors so I can see keeping your profile fairly low for this.

Remember that the stock rotor is 12.5mm too so be sure you are getting the works team rotor not the standard 12.5mm stock replacement.

I'm surprised at your gearing. 8.4 fdr is pretty normal for 4.5's on most tracks and I'm able to run my 4.5's there and keep them from cooking. Though, most mod motors will come off at 180+ (f). Are you over that now?
Well... considering the tracks size, i stayed with the stock recommended FDR and worked with it... When i attempted 8.7, it seemed to have pulled too many amps for the batteries and they puffed... The motor was only slightly warmer than normal...

This is the rotor I intend on gettingl:

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...ns&pn=LRP50636

http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/electr...125mm/details/

Alien