R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #16
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxlmaster821 View Post
Is the d3 good when modded to be a touring car without counter steer and drift tires? Is the zero s better or the same as the turnigy TD10 performance or durability-wise?
The Turnigy TD10 is identical in every way to the Sakura Zero S. 3Racing manufactures the TD10 and packages it into a Turnigy branded box for HobbyKing. HK even carries many, not all, of the spare and aftermarket parts for the Zero S/TD10.
rcdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Sakura XI Sport, pretty good out of the box and parts are cheap.
Plus there is upgrade paths.
Ricardo40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

Spec R S1 with aluminum hex's swaybars and some proper aluminum/stainless shims from tqrcracing is around $150 and in the right hands, will kill..
had mine out yesterday with the newly fitted swaybars and the car took first round tq. there are some things that need to be upgraded but $150 will get you started just fine.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Is anyone running the tt02, tt01, or tt01e? Is it like the tc4?
The tt01, tt02 are good entry cars but you might have a hard time finding tamiya parts. Locally. I get mine from rcmart.

I use a tt01e for vta, and my old tc car was a ta05 v2 ifs and I have that as a vta car as well. But when I race it in tc 17.5 I enjoyed it.

You could look for a old xray like a t2 .

Rcuniverse has a good write up on building a tt01 as a beginner race car.
rescue119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Is anyone running the tt02, tt01, or tt01e? Is it like the tc4?
I have a TT01, it is nothing like a TC4 ... just a very basic entry level toy.
Rojna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Tamiya TB-03 - $139 street price. Specifically, this one if you can find it:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio...nsx-2008-58424

It needs bearings in the steering (a buck apiece) and the front diff pegs to turn it into a slipper spool (about $5), and it really needs universals at some point, but that's what I'd buy. Durable, and fast.
* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
CraigMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Im in the same market for a touring car as well I've been looking at the schumacher mi1 and the sprint 2. Any Thoughts?

Last edited by Emaculant; 09-22-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Emaculant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #23
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaculant View Post
Im in the same market for a touring car as well I've been looking at the schumacher mi1 and the sprint 2. Any Thoughts?
If you have no on road racing experience, i would stay clear of the Schumacher, they are just a little fragile for a new guy. The sprint 2 is not a real on road racer either, so stay way from it, unless all you want to do is go a bit of drifting or speed runs up and down the street.

Within the $150 bracket the Spec-R S1, 3 Racing Xi Sports, 3 Racing Sakura Zero S/Hobbyking and the AE TC4 are the ones you should really be looking at as the best of the budget chassis out there.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber View Post
If you have no on road racing experience, i would stay clear of the Schumacher, they are just a little fragile for a new guy. The sprint 2 is not a real on road racer either, so stay way from it, unless all you want to do is go a bit of drifting or speed runs up and down the street.

Within the $150 bracket the Spec-R S1, 3 Racing Xi Sports, 3 Racing Sakura Zero S/Hobbyking and the AE TC4 are the ones you should really be looking at as the best of the budget chassis out there.
Cool. What about electronics, charger and batteries on a budget but good enough for some competitive track days?
Emaculant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #25
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Cool. What about electronics, charger and batteries on a budget but good enough for some competitive track days?
If your track allows them, for budget, you cannot look past Hobbyking Trackstar ESC, Motor and Turnigy Nanotech Lipos. Other then those, Hobbywing combos are good, SMC lipos are great.

Mostly it depends on how rules compliant your club is, most are ok, but some will enforce ROAR approval lists etc, at which point, you are really stuck with just Hobbywing, and the cheaper Speedpassion lines.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

nothing wrong with turnigy/gens ace packs, just compare the roar approval list to make sure you get the correct model numbers. some of the turnigy packs are approved but the more desirable ones are not. nanotech 5.6 50-100c is the best pack they sell for 2s touring car atm that is roar approved, and quite a bargain at $43ish bucks at hobbyking.
as for power system, depends on the racing you want to do. 10-17.5 turn stock classes could be well met with the speed passion reventon stock club or hobbywing justock systems that are always on sale.
i got a speedpassion system with 17.5 motor for $64 on sale at rcmart. turned out this system was EASILY competitive with systems costing $300 and more in 17.5. really depends how you drive, setup the car and your ability to identify the systems strengths, weaknesses and adapt to them in your car setup and driving style.

ive always had thunderpower chargers so id recommend them, but the ichargers are very good as well. see quite a lot of them. if anything, id invest in good pit equipment and worry less about the guys of the car on a budget. even a used thunderpower or icharger would be a good investment.

I might be bias but savox servos are excellent. just nothing better out there at the price point that ive seen.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:05 AM   #27
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP40X View Post
If parts support is not a concern then the Spec-R S-1 or Sakura XI Sport would be the way to go.
+1.

Parts off ebay seem to be reasonable, or rc-mart I think has them.

A guy I race with always puts his in the A final and is up against top spec cars

Its a good value car for the price, if I didn't luck in with a T4, the sakura would have been my next choice.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:18 AM   #28
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
I own a sprint 2 currently. Bulletproof? Yes. Good for racing? Definitely No. It is excellent for bashing at crazy fast speeds though.
vxlmaster821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #29
Tech Apprentice

Anyone own a tb04? It is new and everyone here seems to like the tb03.(ta06 pro?)
vxlmaster821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:08 AM   #30
Tech Apprentice

The new rgt r2 is a good car for that price, and is performing well on track. You have a little review: http://www.rcelectrico.es/analisis-d...l-nuevo-rgt-r2

Tags
$150, budget, drift, performance, touring car