R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default F-1 car for 13 year old

My step son is having a bday soon and he really likes racing and wants to run a 2n on road class other then vta. Well I am thinking about finding a f-1 car for him to build and race and was just looking for input on a good quality durable car? It's just for club nights no tcs races so about any chassis would due. Our track is carpet, 21.5 motor, and rubber tires. Any input is appreciated
Thanks
Josh
josh_todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Get one of the many Tamiya F104 variants. They are surprisingly durable. A Pro version should run you $100-150. Or if you get really serious about it get the Ver. II or TRF101
Old 09-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Tech Addict

K thanks for the input our lhs carries parts for just about anything and a lot of tamiya stuff as well any others to consider?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

3racing f1 like there fgx is a nice car as well
Mindcrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcrimes View Post
3racing f1 like there fgx is a nice car as well
Yeah, FGX is a really good car, but not quite as durable as F104.
silencery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've been looking at the TRF101 but seems like they're in short supply. We're these meant to replace the F104 V2s or supplement them in Tamiya's line of F1 chassis?
CarerraRSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If your running on carpet, the direct drive car is much better than the gear drive car like the FGX. I would suggest the Tamiya F104 as it is fairly simple car. For carpet, the F104 x1 version is probably the quickest, at least at our local carpet track.

As one of the fast F1 guys at our track, I will mention to make sure your stepson is capable of driving a direct drive car on rubber tires and not be a rolling chicane. It can be frustrating for the fast guys as well as your stepson if he cannot control the car well. F1's are one of the more challenging cars to drive and the consequences are much worse than just a couple of sedans banging fenders. Plus driving an F1 and a sedan is two very different driving styles. If he has never driven an F1, would be a real good idea if you have a friend who will let him try one first before investing into something he may love, or may get frustrated over.

Panda
Old 09-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
Tech Regular

My son is eleven years old and he has been competing with us adults in Lajf Racing F1 Series this year it is a 8 races and one final serie so ther has been in total 9 races. Each race is 35 minutes. (web page in swedish language)

He had never driven a F1 beore this year. I got him a second hand F109 That was in need of repairs so I fixed it with F103 front end. The cars run 13.5T motors and fixed timing and a maximum gearing at 2.7. It gives us a very equal set of cars running, regardless of chassitype. Motor in my sons car is a sensorless 13T at 3000Kv ESC is an old mamaba max.

My son did OK, sure he's been struggling at times and he has probably caused a few accidents but then again which one of us has not? As the points stacked up over the summer my son ended up at overall third spot in the series.

I would also suggest that you go for the Tamiya chassie as they are very durable, choose the w version with the F103 front end as there are less stuff to brake in that.

Our kids need to be allowed to run with us to learn, sure they will be there right smack infront of you in your raceline but then you need to overtake by going around them. If they are supposed to be good drivers before running at your track, the hobby will slowly die.

Go 235mm with X10 widening parts from www.lajf.se Get your P28 at www.lajf.se/pshop
tudor_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_todd View Post
My step son is having a bday soon and he really likes racing and wants to run a 2n on road class other then vta. Well I am thinking about finding a f-1 car for him to build and race and was just looking for input on a good quality durable car? It's just for club nights no tcs races so about any chassis would due. Our track is carpet, 21.5 motor, and rubber tires. Any input is appreciated
Thanks
Josh
In my suggestion go with F104, It's a pretty cool.This kit takes a long time to build, especially the body and stickers took hours to cut, paint, and put together. But the finished product is so beautiful, its a good quality reproduction of the original car...

Berry Martin
berrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #10
Tech Regular

yes go for the F104 or the F104 pro (not the V2) , if you run on rubber , it'll be easier to find tires then f103-f104w- or 3racing f113.
It's the most durable F1 in my opinion , the V2 is a bit more fragile
Old 09-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarerraRSeattle View Post
I've been looking at the TRF101 but seems like they're in short supply. We're these meant to replace the F104 V2s or supplement them in Tamiya's line of F1 chassis?
The TRF101 is a limited edition chassis kit while the F104v2 is the main production chassis. Like any of Tamiyas limited production runs there is no telling whether they will produce new batches in future, while the F104v2 should always be available until they replace it.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Sounds good thanks for all the input think I will try and pick him up and f-104 and see what he can do with it f-1 is not a huge class where we race so i figured he wouldnt be in the way as much if it takes him some time to pick up its not that he is totally inexperienced as a driver as he races 2wd sc trucks and 2wd stock buggy
Thanks for the replies
Josh