R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-26-2002, 11:22 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to stormperson
Default best/more durable esc

I have had problems getting esc's to last. I have purchased two quantom competitions, and they both have had problems with their cases coming off, one lost its on/off switch, and they really arent ready for another year. I had a cyclone and it stopped working someday, i have no clue why, but i decieded to not send it back to novak since whenever i get a "remanufactured" esc from them it only last a few race weekends then quits.

I am currently looking for an esc that will last more then a year, both for my 12th scale and touring car. any suggestions would be great, thanks!
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 12:00 PM   #2
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

if your smoking speedos... like that I would suspect somehting else is wrong...

MANY moons ago, Novak was aka DYNAMITE (they would just out right disintegrate for no reason).... but I have not seen a novak die out in a while, LRP supposedly has a lifetime gurantee.

I dun like LRP because of the wires... I like to be able to replace em.

I seruoisly think you need to check the drive train.... in your cars, gear mesh might be too tight, or just plain over gearing

Rich

[email protected]

www.rcracing.com
RAP66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 12:40 PM   #3
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to stormperson

my car is in fine working order (infact my drivetrain has been known to spin for quite some time , and my gearing is reasonable)
I tend to replace the wires every few months, and i solder my motor and batts. and do trasnpher the esc from car to car eveyr few months as well.
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 02:37 PM   #4
Tech Regular

If you can get hold of the MRT VX pro. Its solid and totally sealed from all the elements. Replacable wires, integrated switch, programmable to the max etc.... Having blown LRPs and a near miss with my Cyclone TC2 with moisture....

Another thoghie is the CS Rocketmax.... only thing I dun like is the mechanical switch.
sonneteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 02:53 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Storm,

I'm currently using an Mtroniks Cubic in my 1/12 scale car, and I'm very happy with it so far. It'll handle down to eight turn motors, and it's very solid... no case to ever crack open, all the electronics are potted in an aluminum block with some resin. It's tiny, and has replaceable wires.

I can't comment on how it'll hold up over the long haul, I've only used it twice so far. I definitely like the feel, it reminds me of the the linearity I loved in the old Tekins back when they were available.

Here's a shot of it in my 1/12 chassis:

Trips
Old 08-26-2002, 07:48 PM   #6
Tech Adept

I used the Mtronics Cubic and LRP Quantum Competition. I prefer the quantum over Cubic. Cubic, you can only control the power profile, Mode 1 to Mode 7.

On the other hand, LRP, you can set it up according to what you need. For the case popping out, just use the stickers that they provided and put them on each side of the case.
TRF414M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 09:31 PM   #7
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

One word - Keyence AO7Rz. This is a great esc, I've got one it's compact and can handle whatever you throw at it, less water of course. I've heard Keyence's coustomer support isn't that great but I've never needed it. I think it's worth every cent and like I've said before, I wouldn't trade it for any other esc on the market today. I think the motor limit is 7turns but I may be wrong. It may not have alot of fancy adjustments but it's a solid no fuss unit in my opinion. GREAT ESC!!!!
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 12:33 PM   #8
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My GMV12 has held up well. I will have to send it in to get a new case over the offseason though. Its been through alot!

If your looking for a tough esc, find someone selling a Tekin G series speedo. Their not the smallest things around, but their as tough as they come. People are always bragging about Novaks service, but I would rather have a speedo I never have to send in, than one that will have me constantly testing the companies service center. But thats just me....

I have:

GM V3r
GM V12
Tekin G10
Tekin G10

They all work great, and have held up well.
Old 08-27-2002, 02:37 PM   #9
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I have two GMV12s and they both have worked great, one of them I have had for almost 3 years now with no problems, it has been in various TCs and seen some rough crashes.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote