R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Lift HPI E10 Touring a half inch or so?

Hey all -
I have a slightly hopped up HPI E10 in Touring configuration

Aluminum drive shaft, aluminum universal joints, aluminum motor mount, 19T motor, T-grip tires.

I don't drive on tracks, only streets and parking lots. The problem I am running into is that my daughter and nephews love to drive the car too.

By itself, I don't mind them driving it, its only cost me a few bucks here and there to replace broken body posts, foam bumper, etc. The real concern is that they put it in the grass about 5-10 seconds into every session. Then they have to go pull it out of the grass and put it back on pavement, only to repeat in another 5-10 seconds.

Do the adjustable shocks allow for enough ground clearance to get out of the grass? I don't need/want to drive in the grass (I have a rustler for off-road), but I want to be able to recover instead of needing to walk over and pull it out.

Thoughts?
jdolluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
Tech Regular

set your mower deck a half inch lower.
but in all seriousness, you're not going to get that much more clearance out of the stock shocks, at least not to my knowledge. You'll probably have to find longer shocks to put on the chassis to lift it that much. Even then, Im not sure it'll be getting out of the grass under its own power with those tires. The T-Grips have a hard slick center to help with drifting, no?
wareagle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdolluc View Post
Hey all -
I have a slightly hopped up HPI E10 in Touring configuration

Aluminum drive shaft, aluminum universal joints, aluminum motor mount, 19T motor, T-grip tires.

I don't drive on tracks, only streets and parking lots. The problem I am running into is that my daughter and nephews love to drive the car too.

By itself, I don't mind them driving it, its only cost me a few bucks here and there to replace broken body posts, foam bumper, etc. The real concern is that they put it in the grass about 5-10 seconds into every session. Then they have to go pull it out of the grass and put it back on pavement, only to repeat in another 5-10 seconds.

Do the adjustable shocks allow for enough ground clearance to get out of the grass? I don't need/want to drive in the grass (I have a rustler for off-road), but I want to be able to recover instead of needing to walk over and pull it out.

Thoughts?

I doubt it. Most sedans are pretty limited on ride height with the short shocks. I would think 7mm would be your max with the shock collars cranked all the way down.

XRAY T4'14/ORCA VXX/ORCA TX 5.0
XRAY XB8'14
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle84 View Post
set your mower deck a half inch lower.
but in all seriousness, you're not going to get that much more clearance out of the stock shocks, at least not to my knowledge. You'll probably have to find longer shocks to put on the chassis to lift it that much. Even then, Im not sure it'll be getting out of the grass under its own power with those tires. The T-Grips have a hard slick center to help with drifting, no?
dropping the mower deck would work better for my yard, but definitely not for the neighbors. no curbs in my neighborhood, so the road is right up to the grass.

the t-grips are the street tires for touring - they are not off-road by any stretch of the imagination, but not purely drifting tires. HPI part number 4405

T-drift on the other hand is completely hard plastic. (part 4406)

as for the shocks, I can't find any info on the actual height of the adjustables that HPI sells - and they are $30/pair. i'll probably end up buying them regardless.
jdolluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Tech Regular

the T-Grips are a hybrid tire. The center rib of each tore is the same hard plastic that the T-Drifts are made of to help you slide better. They won't do much for traction off-road.
as for the shocks, you might have to find some short off road type shocks and fit them to the chassis if possible. I don't know of any extra long shocks for on-road cars, but maybe someone else does as RC car parts are virtually limitless these days.
wareagle84 is offline   Reply With Quote