R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default A newbie requesting advices on his first 1/10 RC car

Hi Guys,

I just joined this forum as I wanted to go into electric RC car hobby. Can you guys please advise me on my queries below?

1. I'm thinking of getting a Ready-To-Run ("RTR") 1/10 electric car. Currently, the 2 cars I have in mind are (a) Kyosho EP Fazer and (b) Tamiya Expert Built Sport(XB Sport). Both cars are 2.4Ghz and assuming both are about the same price (without battery and charger), what one would you recommend and why?

2. Should I buy a lithium poly battery and charger (much more expensive than a Nickel one)? What battery brand and its charger would you recommend?

3. If I were to upgrade my engine to brushless, what is the brand and model would you recommend and roughly what much will it be?

4. Do you guys buy parts from hobbypartz.com? Is it cheaper to order from them and are they reliable?

Thank you for reading and I look forward to your replies. :-)
Kakaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Anyone please?
Old 08-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakaru View Post
Anyone please?
Are you going to race if you are I don't think those are the cars I would start with. RTR are really not ready to race!

http://localrcracing.freeforums.org/
HobbyTown Fresno, Ca. McAllister Racing, Visa/MasterCard's
vivo quevas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to gearhead_22

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I just joined this forum as I wanted to go into electric RC car hobby. Can you guys please advise me on my queries below?

1. I'm thinking of getting a Ready-To-Run ("RTR") 1/10 electric car. Currently, the 2 cars I have in mind are (a) Kyosho EP Fazer and (b) Tamiya Expert Built Sport(XB Sport). Both cars are 2.4Ghz and assuming both are about the same price (without battery and charger), what one would you recommend and why?

2. Should I buy a lithium poly battery and charger (much more expensive than a Nickel one)? What battery brand and its charger would you recommend?

3. If I were to upgrade my engine to brushless, what is the brand and model would you recommend and roughly what much will it be?

4. Do you guys buy parts from hobbypartz.com? Is it cheaper to order from them and are they reliable?

Thank you for reading and I look forward to your replies. :-)
1. first we need to know if you are going to put it on a race track or just play with it.

2. yes you should go with a lipo battery and charger and lipo bag.smc has pretty good batteries at a good price http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...ory&path=67_78

3. team novak make good speedos and motors to start with. http://www.teamnovak.com/

4. I haven't delt with them .
Juwan Hunter
gearhead_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Thanks Gearhead_22. For your question on whether am I using it on racing track or just road, I would say I should be playing on road most of the time. Any advice on which car?
Old 08-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to gearhead_22

Quote:
Thanks Gearhead_22. For your question on whether am I using it on racing track or just road, I would say I should be playing on road most of the time. Any advice on which car?
don't know anything about the cars that you posted so maybe someone else can help you with that.
Juwan Hunter
gearhead_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:15 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Honestly, for a first car I would always recommend something that can go off road. You might be the exception, but tennis courts, the street in front of your house, and parking lots become blah after a while. Unless you can get some friends or family in on the action for on road driving, off road is always more fun. Jumps, dirt, grass, curbs, the dog or cat or of course any smooth surface is fair game.

And there is nothing wrong with getting an RTR runner. It takes the insane amount of options out of the equation and lets you just have fun. And when something breaks that is your opportunity to find beefier, lighter, aka more expensive options for your vehicle.

just my .02
Old 08-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I love tamiya Cars so from the two you listed i would pick the tamiya. If you are open to other options then look into the ta05 kit. I just bought one and its awesome! If you want rtr only though the the sprint 2 flux is already brushless.

The one must do thing is replace the shocks and springs on the sprint, they leak, and no bladder compensation. I just swapped in a set of tamiya cva mini dampers, so much better now. With the stock shocks/ springs it it so firm it just bounces around. And yes, I have this car too.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
I love tamiya Cars so from the two you listed i would pick the tamiya. If you are open to other options then look into the ta05 kit. I just bought one and its awesome! If you want rtr only though the the sprint 2 flux is already brushless.

The one must do thing is replace the shocks and springs on the sprint, they leak, and no bladder compensation. I just swapped in a set of tamiya cva mini dampers, so much better now. With the stock shocks/ springs it it so firm it just bounces around. And yes, I have this car too.

So Tamiya expert built sport model is a better choice? I heard Kyosho has a good reputation of its engine and quality, and also Kyosho's suspension shocks are oil filled rather than frictional, which means I do not need to change its shocks?
Old 08-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #10
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I think in terms of performance the kyosho is better. I would get the sprint 2 flux though as I mentioned, it's rtr, brushless, belt, and is a pretty good car. It will be better than the kyosho
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I agree with Tamiya cars. I started out with a TA06 pro for about two years and couldn't be happier. heavy car yes but, it can still hang with higher end models. I've learned from experience, buying a kit is better than rtr. less money wasted on the long run due to upgrades, you'll learn how to fix/ replace the components later on and quality is usually better than rtr's. if you don't plan on racing later, then I would go with an rtr. hobbypartz is a good lipo seller. I've bought from 5,4 and 2s lipos with no worries. only thing is that they are always out of stock.
Axial RR10 Bomber, MMP, Reline Pro4 4000Kv,Protek 150T
Futaba 4PKS R All sponsored by Visa
BadPanda818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadPanda818 View Post
I agree with Tamiya cars. I started out with a TA06 pro for about two years and couldn't be happier. heavy car yes but, it can still hang with higher end models. I've learned from experience, buying a kit is better than rtr. less money wasted on the long run due to upgrades, you'll learn how to fix/ replace the components later on and quality is usually better than rtr's. if you don't plan on racing later, then I would go with an rtr. hobbypartz is a good lipo seller. I've bought from 5,4 and 2s lipos with no worries. only thing is that they are always out of stock.
Thanks for you guys' advices. My thought as of now is to get a car kit (most probably RTR) and after a while, upgrade my engine to a brushless one (if I'm gonna get Kyosho EP Fazer and its engine is a brushed 540 can with R27). I'm not sure if Tamiya's XB sport's engine is a brushed one too.

What do you guys think of my plan? Btw, what is the price range of a brushless engine with about 21T to 16T???
Old 08-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What do you guys think of my plan? Btw, what is the price range of a brushless engine with about 21T to 16T???[/QUOTE]

most brushless motor a priced the same no matter what turn motor it is. as far kit is concerned, choose a kit with parts that are readily available at your local hobby shop. no fun in waiting in the mail for a small part in order to keep playing. I honestly would look into associated apex racer or whatever the name is. shaft driven and perfect for bashing in my opinion. I think the rtr is brushless already. don't quote me on that one.
Axial RR10 Bomber, MMP, Reline Pro4 4000Kv,Protek 150T
Futaba 4PKS R All sponsored by Visa
BadPanda818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadPanda818 View Post
What do you guys think of my plan? Btw, what is the price range of a brushless engine with about 21T to 16T???
most brushless motor a priced the same no matter what turn motor it is. as far kit is concerned, choose a kit with parts that are readily available at your local hobby shop. no fun in waiting in the mail for a small part in order to keep playing. I honestly would look into associated apex racer or whatever the name is. shaft driven and perfect for bashing in my opinion. I think the rtr is brushless already. don't quote me on that one.[/QUOTE]

The Kyosho EP Fazer RTR's specs quoted the following:

G27 Motor: Equipped with the reliable <B>brushed</B> G27 540 size motor, with built in cooling fan.

I hope my understanding of the above quoted is wrong because I read a lot of articles that state the disadvantages of brushed over brushless.

If that is true, do you guys think that this Kyosho EP Fazer RTR may not be a good buy for beginner?

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Quote:
most brushless motor a priced the same no matter what turn motor it is. as far kit is concerned, choose a kit with parts that are readily available at your local hobby shop. no fun in waiting in the mail for a small part in order to keep playing. I honestly would look into associated apex racer or whatever the name is. shaft driven and perfect for bashing in my opinion. I think the rtr is brushless already. don't quote me on that one.
The Kyosho EP Fazer RTR's specs quoted the following:

G27 Motor: Equipped with the reliable <B>brushed</B> G27 540 size motor, with built in cooling fan.

I hope my understanding of the above quoted is wrong because I read a lot of articles that state the disadvantages of brushed over brushless.

If that is true, do you guys think that this Kyosho EP Fazer RTR may not be a good buy for beginner?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Hi, I have a Kyosho EP Fazer and I am very happy with it. It is faster than
the Tamiya XB and better quality. Do not start with brushless motors until
you have had some experience and if you like it you can then Upgrade
to brushless very easliy. See Attached photos of my Kyosho. I upgraded mine wtih a
15 turn motor and it is very fast. I do not race it but bash with my friends in parking lots. What is most important you should buy the car you like. I love my Kyosho.

Norman
Attached Thumbnails
A newbie requesting advices on his first 1/10 RC car-img_0001.jpg   A newbie requesting advices on his first 1/10 RC car-img_0002.jpg  
Norman2 is offline   Reply With Quote