R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Thanks Norman. Your Kyosho EP Fazer's Aston Martin looks cool. May I know:

1. Do you use Nickel battery or LiPo battery?
2. Will there be any performance issue (e.g. speed) if one were to use Nickel 4000 Mah battery?
3. What other additional stuff did you buy when you bought this RTR car?
4. Last but not least, any idea what is the max speed a Kyosho EP Fazer can go up to using the default brushed engine?
Kakaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Kakaru, It appears you are just looking for something of good quality to "play" with and not do any organized racing...yet.
1. Tamiya and Kyosho are both great names but..Tamiya support through hobby shops seems to be much better than Kyosho
2. Don't concern yourself with brushless yet. The Tamiya probably comes with a brushed "can" motor. This is a very inexpensive "disposable" type motor. FYI, it is basically a industrial motor.
3. If you decide to race and there is a local shop that offers Tamiya Challenge Series (TCS) racing; you could use your car to race a novice class with little change.
4. Don't be swayed by cool bodies or paint jobs. Many different bodies are available. Tamiya, Kyosho,HPI and other companies make them. Learning to paint will take some time and you must consider bodies as disposable. You will ruin bodies and you WILL break parts.

I honestly believe the Tamiya would be a better choice in the long run. This is your first car...not your last. Sometime in the future you may try another brand and find you like it but you won't know until you can actually recognise the differences.
Good Luck and most of all...HAVE FUN !!!!!
rctrackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctrackman View Post
Kakaru, It appears you are just looking for something of good quality to "play" with and not do any organized racing...yet.
1. Tamiya and Kyosho are both great names but..Tamiya support through hobby shops seems to be much better than Kyosho
2. Don't concern yourself with brushless yet. The Tamiya probably comes with a brushed "can" motor. This is a very inexpensive "disposable" type motor. FYI, it is basically a industrial motor.
3. If you decide to race and there is a local shop that offers Tamiya Challenge Series (TCS) racing; you could use your car to race a novice class with little change.
4. Don't be swayed by cool bodies or paint jobs. Many different bodies are available. Tamiya, Kyosho,HPI and other companies make them. Learning to paint will take some time and you must consider bodies as disposable. You will ruin bodies and you WILL break parts.

I honestly believe the Tamiya would be a better choice in the long run. This is your first car...not your last. Sometime in the future you may try another brand and find you like it but you won't know until you can actually recognise the differences.
Good Luck and most of all...HAVE FUN !!!!!
Thanks rctrackman. I just want to get a value for money car since this is my first car, I tends to be more careful.

Do you recommend buying LiPo battery and its charger for my first car or upgrade to LiPo at a later stage just like the brushless motor?
Old 08-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Remember that lipo battery will depend on whether the ESC will allow it. If the supplied ESC doesn't have LIPO cutoff then I wouldn't suggest using lipo.
Keep in mind that most RTR cars with can (brushed) motors are NOT designed to be run for extended periods of time. They will get VERY hot and the motor will burn out quickly. To many new drivers think they can run this type of car for a long time and get angry or frustrated when they stop running. 5 minutes of use at racing speeds is quite enough.
Worry about Lipo and Brushless later unless the esc is designed to handle lipo. If so, buy a inexpensive lipo from Hobbypartz. 4000mah / 25-30c batteries from Zippy can be purchased for around 35 dollars each. I still have 6 of these and still use them after 3 years or more.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Sorry , I forgot Hobbypartz doesn't sell Zippy brand but they do sell Gens Ace. This is another very good brand of battery.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-40...-hardcase.html

If you can use Lipo and need a charger...get one of the Thunder AC6 units from Hobbypartz. Very inexpensive and will do the job very well.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
Old 08-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Quote:
Sorry , I forgot Hobbypartz doesn't sell Zippy brand but they do sell Gens Ace. This is another very good brand of battery.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-40...-hardcase.html

If you can use Lipo and need a charger...get one of the Thunder AC6 units from Hobbypartz. Very inexpensive and will do the job very well.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
Noted. I will ask the store assistant whether does the car's ESC supports LiPo capability. Thanks for the link to hobbypartz
Old 08-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Can you tell me which Tamiya kit you're looking at ?? XB Sport but which one ?
Old 08-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Quote:
Can you tell me which Tamiya kit you're looking at ?? XB Sport but which one ?
I did not note down the exact Tamiya model number when I was in the retail store. The box states 2.4G XB SPORT with a Subaru STI WRX body. Probably, I will see that model clearly when Im going to visit Tamiya showroom today.