Like Tree40Likes

Speedmerchant Rev 8

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NutDriver
"We should be honored that we can do business with him."

I have a SpeedMerchant car and I've bought stuff from them aside from the car as well. Their response was not quick, but not glacial. It seems that it has gotten worse. I referenced the quote above as I am lost on this idea. If I spend a few hundred dollars on a car and some spares (like the ones RedBull listed), but I break a part specific to the SpeedMerchant car and I can't get parts for months, then the car is worthless to me not matter how good it is when it runs. "Buy a second car for spares" was one suggestion I've read recently. While I am fortunate enough to be ABLE to do this, I don't think this SHOULD be necessary. Also, I tend to break the same parts on each car. If I break TWO front arms, BOTH of my cars are out of commission. Does this mean that I should've bought a third car???
I hope Bruce is able to keep up with demand soon. Josh Cyrul's dominance with the SpeedMerchant car is just going to increase demand for cars/parts. If you haven't considered it before, this might make parts less available for those who have been driving SpeedMerchant before Josh made them a household name. Additionally, popularity can be a fleeting thing. While SpeedMerchant is the hot ticket now, lack of kits and parts and no answers as to what is going on and when parts/kits can be expected will quickly turn off most buyers.
Just my $0.02 worth. Your mileage may vary.
You make some good points... after the 5280 race there was a huge push locally for guys wanting and waiting for the car. Most but not all got frustrated and went with other manufactures. I believe this probably was the case in all areas of the country so who knows how many kits he lost out on.

I find it kind of ironic that dealing with Speed Merchant is a lot like dealing with his #1 drivers former company CEFX. Both have or had great designs and products but just lacked in the area of customer service and communication.

With the cars great success at the U.S. Indoor Champs it will most likely make getting parts and kits much harder but you never know I guess. Good things are worth the wait but then again I'm not a very patient person.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:43 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

guys - unfortunately great success often causes great delays. i'm certain bruce is doing the best we can to fulfill orders.

honestly you want him working his CNC machine, and packing orders instead of spending that time responding to emails/etc.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I'd like to see Bruce get enough business to hire full time help, I run my own shop my self and I understand how hard it is to find good help. It's even worse to find part time people that you can only keep busy for a month or two a year and expect good help that puts out perfect work that we have come to expect from speedmerchant. It's always been like this till after the snowbirds for Bruce and I'm positive he is very surprised by the demand for the rev8 pro along with a new wgt4. I am aware some people are wanting it to be like associated by having parts available at most shops or ready and waiting to be shipped at all times. But with a one man place that's a tall order and lots of hard work. It's worth the wait it is the best 1/12 I've ever driven. If you want story's on hard to get parts and long wait times ask bob stormer about his car. Been racing long enough to remember calling him for parts and advice, good times. Keep up the good work Bruce and good job with the new cars
Chris
Old 12-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think its time to upgrade and get with the times and get a new rev 8 and wgt!
Old 12-02-2014, 10:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Any news of the Rev8 kits landing on Japanese soil? I spoke with the owner of Xenon in June and said the kits will be available by the end of the month. Maybe the popularity of the chassis in 'merica has hampered it's movement overseas.

I would like to get my hands on one.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Guys, all I can say is that Bruce is working hard to deliver on every order

He's not slacking by any means

At times it's as frustrating for him, as it is for some of you, it's a real challenge, when you don't have control over the supply of every piece that goes into a kit
Old 12-03-2014, 07:05 AM
Tech Master

It's all Bruce's fault, he should have a made a less superior product that no one wants...
Old 12-03-2014, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey guys... Honestly, I'm sure it's a bit like my former company. We went from making a few kits to clearing over 500-750 in a short time. Never were my cars full kits so as we tried to invest in getting closer to that, we ran short on $ to get the next batch of graphite or whatever in. Bruce just transitioned to a lot of his own molds which I know have caused delays at times.

I can't speak for Bruce financially (I don't think that's a problem like it was for me) but I have spoke to him a little about cutting carbon and the kits. The way he does things does take much longer than we eventually learned to... We had to adapt with trying to keep up with the demands we were facing. However, that takes additional time/$ from keeping up with normal production.

Bruce has mentioned seeing a substantial increase in interest and sales since Denver and I'm sure now again. I've tried to help with passing along some info I learned to hopefully speed things up. I'm recovered from the race now and actually working on getting my CNC back functional (to sell it). Maybe I'll see if I can help him with some things to catch up so we can get everyone the cars/parts they want in a timely manner.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:52 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Hey it could be worse. I'm going to be running your old CEFX car again here in a couple weeks. How long do you think it would take Josh to find the CAD files and the time to crank out some replacement parts?
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
Hey guys... Honestly, I'm sure it's a bit like my former company. We went from making a few kits to clearing over 500-750 in a short time. Never were my cars full kits so as we tried to invest in getting closer to that, we ran short on $ to get the next batch of graphite or whatever in. Bruce just transitioned to a lot of his own molds which I know have caused delays at times.

I can't speak for Bruce financially (I don't think that's a problem like it was for me) but I have spoke to him a little about cutting carbon and the kits. The way he does things does take much longer than we eventually learned to... We had to adapt with trying to keep up with the demands we were facing. However, that takes additional time/$ from keeping up with normal production.

Bruce has mentioned seeing a substantial increase in interest and sales since Denver and I'm sure now again. I've tried to help with passing along some info I learned to hopefully speed things up. I'm recovered from the race now and actually working on getting my CNC back functional (to sell it). Maybe I'll see if I can help him with some things to catch up so we can get everyone the cars/parts they want in a timely manner.
Now you can buy the same machine that made the CEFX car. Glad to see the extra efforts at SM. Great car.

Last edited by Jamison R; 12-03-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:11 AM
Tech Adept

Hey Josh would you please share your mod set up? Also maybe a picture of your electroncs lay out. I'm most interested in the mod car.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Tech Addict

I have one up for grabs if anyone needs one
Old 12-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scirocco
Hey Josh would you please share your mod set up? Also maybe a picture of your electroncs lay out. I'm most interested in the mod car.
Josh's mod setup from 5280 is available on the SM website. I talked to him recently and he confirmed that he is still running basically that same setup. Additionally, there are pictures of his car from that race as well.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:48 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Jamison R
Now you can buy the same machine that made the CEFX car. Glad to see the extra effects at SM. Great car.
If I had the money and if the CAD/CAM files came with it, I'd do it in a heartbeat
Old 12-03-2014, 05:05 PM
Tech Initiate

I have known Bruce since 91 as he used to work in my local hobby shop as well as the race director. His ideas have always been ahead of his time and I think it's finally time he gets the credit he very much deserves. I fully understand the frustration of not being able to get what you desire, but give Bruce the chance and I'm certain you'll enjoy the rewards of his hard work.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:27 AM
Tech Master

wingracer - CAD files could be arranged..... lol...

Kave - My set-up here at the Champs in Mod was similar:

.018" Front Springs
Yellow Kyosho 15k grease on the kingpins
.5mm behind the lower arm (widen the front - no axle shims)
.5 camber
4 degrees castor
40mm Ulti - JH front tires
3.4mm ride height

35wt Losi in HB Shock
AE Blue center spring - top plate has additional .5mm spacer under standard pivot ball

Roll center lowered to only .5mm shim (no 1.5mm cone washer)
.022" Side springs
Green Spooge in the tubes
171.5mm rear width
41mm Ulti - XS rear tires
3.6mm ride height

Protoform AMR-12 body mounted centered in the front wheels
D4 3.5 with timing on the motor @ 20 degrees - 25/94

I'll work on posting pics and set-up sheets here and on my FB ASAP.

The 15k Kyosho was something I always ran on my cars and I switched to it at the race for the first time on the SM car. If you hit a kingpin hard/fast the Green Spooge tends to sheer and not give much "hard bump" dampening. The Kyosho is a little lighter but still gives good dampening in this situation. For bumpier tracks like this, it seemed to help out a bit but in most cases, the Green Spooge works really well.

Any other questions, let me know. I'll try to be more active on here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.