Speedmerchant Rev 8

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 02:03 AM
Tech Elite

Protoform TR
Old 01-21-2014, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

How long are you leaving the SXT on for? When the traction gets high, I tend to leave iton for 5 minutes, then wipe it off.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by gazza
How long are you leaving the SXT on for? When the traction gets high, I tend to leave iton for 5 minutes, then wipe it off.
I had it down to 8 mins rear, 4 front for the Sunday. I suffered traffic problems in qualy, and found a lap and a half in the final to waltz it. The only time I saw grip roll Sunday was when backing off behind other cars.

I was running small tyres, but then everyone was, so we were no different. And the corner causing problems for Peter, and for me Saturday was tipping all makes of car over. We did have a rushed build and rebuild of Peter's car, so it may have a small problem built in. We're having a look Friday at the club.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:43 AM
Tech Regular

What are you running for springs? Front, center, and side? How much pod droop? Also, what do you have on the side dampers?
Old 01-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Once grip comes up, I'll leave SXT on the tires for about 8 minutes, then wipe all four tires.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

What are you running for springs? Front, center, and side? How much pod droop? Also, what do you have on the side dampers?
Side springs 020" on all 3 of our cars.

Centre spring usually AE blue, but Russ and I went gold for a bit more turn in.

Centre oil 30wt on mine and Pete's car, and 35wt on Russ's.

Side dampers green goop, or 12500 diff oil which I've found behaves the same. Green isn't readily available in the UK.

Front springs all Speedmerchant - Russ 021", Pete 020" and mine are 019".

Just seen a photo of Mark Stiles tyres (stock winner Saturday) and they're same size I ran in the end. Roughly 39.5mm front and 41mm rear.

All of us ran transverse cells. Russ's 6mm forward, mine 3mm forward, Pete not sure.

All Protoform AMR shells. All Ulti X hard fronts medium rears. Russ was the first to drop to small tyres, as Pete and I didn't like the idea of wasting so much foam.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

My cells were right back.
Any suggestions for reducing cell movement once they're strapped in. Cells inline has bolts to stop side to side movement of the cells, but across doesn't appear to have anything other than the tape.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:13 PM
Tech Regular

Hmm, not far off what I have setup-wise. Try going to the inline setup. Also back the tweak screws all the way out, then 2 full turns and then set tweak. Also, try 40wt. Assoc shock oil with the blue center spring. Set the pod droop to 1mm. This should help out a ton
Old 01-21-2014, 02:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Herminator
Any suggestions for reducing cell movement once they're strapped in. Cells inline has bolts to stop side to side movement of the cells, but across doesn't appear to have anything other than the tape.
Not sure. Never ran the car with the battery transverse
Old 01-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hmm, not far off what I have setup-wise. Try going to the inline setup. Also back the tweak screws all the way out, then 2 full turns and then set tweak. Also, try 40wt. Assoc shock oil with the blue center spring. Set the pod droop to 1mm. This should help out a ton
I know mine and Russ's cars are balanced left to right without the side springs as we had plenty of time to build them. We need to check Pete's. Already running with the springs backed off. :-)

Pod droop on mine was 1mm. Think we had a bit more on Pete's. He'll tell us.

I'll try the heavier oil and blue spring. Probably go back to inline too.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Lomas
Already running with the springs backed off. :-)
There might be the problem. Turn the tweak screws 2 turns down, then adjust tweak
Old 01-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

There might be the problem. Turn the tweak screws 2 turns down, then adjust tweak
Read it wrong first time! I'll give it a go Friday then.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yeah the side springs need to be touching the links ten set tweak, that is most likely the issue.. If not..

Proto tr is a terrible carpet body, I tried it and it was so stuck, lap times were way off and it was hard to drive

Try .5mm pod droop, 1 is gonna be unpredictable at times
How much dual rate in the steering are you running? How big are your circles
Old 01-21-2014, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herminator
Cut a piece of scrap carbon fiber or fiberglass sheet to fit in the center slot in the chassis. Clean the bottom of your LiPo cell, strap it in where you want it, then use some thin servo tape to stick the piece to the LiPo cell, through the chassis slot. That will "key" the cell in position so it won't shift and can be re-installed in exactly the same position every time.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by flameoutgarrett
Yeah the side springs need to be touching the links ten set tweak, that is most likely the issue.. If not..

Proto tr is a terrible carpet body, I tried it and it was so stuck, lap times were way off and it was hard to drive

Try .5mm pod droop, 1 is gonna be unpredictable at times
How much dual rate in the steering are you running? How big are your circles
Your description of the TR sounds very much how I've felt my car was lately, even when using a TR on my X12. I'll give a new AMR a go this week.

I definitely think I had too much droop. I'll need to shorted the shock to reduce it more. What difference does it make using the more forward hole for the front shock mounting position?

I had 20% expo on the steering, with around 4.5ft turning circle. I started with 15% expo but turned it up a bit to make things easier.

Tweak screws I turned until the spring were just touching the rear chassis plate then set tweak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.