R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default My New Hot Bodies TCX

Hey guys new to on-road racing. I just picked up a used TCX 1/10 scale car. Im going to be using it on carpet as a new track opened up close to my house and just wanted to know what kind of setup as far as motor choice and pinion gearing for the car. The track is kinda small and looks very tight. I dont need the car to go really really fast as im not going to be able to go that fast on the track. I just want to know what you would suggest for a good reliable setup. Thanks for reading.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

depends on what turn motor you run. From there people could be more helpful. Also how long and wide the track is (small is relative, especially to someone who runs at huge nitro onroad tracks and offroad tracks, compared to a relatively smaller carpet track). I and others can be more helpful with that info.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Congrats on the new car. Check what classes are going to run at the new track. I would pay close attention to VTA, USGT, and 17.5 sedan. These are all great classes (USGT/VTA being the better starter classes), are alot of fun, and can help teach you the basics of car tuning and control.
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
Tech Adept

It came with a 84 toth spur. was planning on running a CC 3650 kv motor. the track itself is small could run 3 cars side by side and thats it. you are not going to get going really fast more of a technical track then for speed.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You need to check what classes the track offers.

That sensorless motor you mentioned, while not really that fast, is technically only legal for open Mod, although the track might let you run it until you get a legal setup. Best to buy something you can race legally in a class more suited to beginners. eg. USVTA uses 25.5 novak motors only, ROAR VTA/Outlaw VTA/CVTA use 21.5 motors. Find out which classes they race, before buying any electronics.

Gearing for any of the spec classes, you'll need to change that stock 48pitch spur to a small 64pitch spur in order to get in the right range. 96tooth 64p spur should probably work for most classes where you'll want an FDR between mid 3s to mid 4s.

Last edited by locked; 08-22-2013 at 10:18 AM.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Cool. Thanks for the info.