R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default New to VTA, need help/advise

Bought a TC 6.0 set up as a TC. Schuur 17.5[sensored] in it now. My grandson and I want to run VTA. ROAR track. Looks like I need a 21.5 motor. Got legal HPI wheels and tires, seems everyone has a back order on 68 camaro bodies. Need your help on motor and esc selection. I'm new to this, and want something competitive we can use for a while. Schuur seems to be rated highly, read a bunch of stuff in these forums. Need your suggestions.Thanks guys.
greg32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Are you on a budget or is cost not really an issue. If on a budget the hobbywing justock is great and alot of people like the novak line of spec stuff. Depends on if you want a computer programable esc or not. I like being able to use a pc to program my esc's so I know what they are set at thats why I run hobbywing. If looking to spend a little more cash the tekin rs2 is a great choice. Small footprint and infintly programable. As for motors I run novak because I run USVTA and I like the rebuildable design. But others will tell you what is the "best" (fastest) motor. If your new that doesnt matter. Novak has rtr combos that are pretty good so doea tekin and hw. All three are reliable with good customer support. I prefer Tekin and HobbyWing because of tunablity over the Novak.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

I run the Hobbywing Justock ESC and it's been fast, reliable, bullet proof and is reasonably priced. Great value.

I run a Hobbyking 21.5 motor and it's been very fast and reliable as well. I tried a Tekin 21.5 but I didn't find it any faster, just more expensive.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Most of the blinky esc's out there now would be competitive. I've tried and currently have, speed passion cirtix, speed passion reventon, novak edge, and hobbywing justock. They all get similar lap times but I prefer the hobbywing justock. If money isn't your budget and the events you participate in abides by the USVTA rules then get the ballistic or outlaw novak motor. VTA class is the slowest class I race and the most fun. When I get on my blinky class tc cars I drive smoother now.
b20btec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
I run the Hobbywing Justock ESC and it's been fast, reliable, bullet proof and is reasonably priced. Great value.

I run a Hobbyking 21.5 motor and it's been very fast and reliable as well. I tried a Tekin 21.5 but I didn't find it any faster, just more expensive.
nm, didn't know roar rules use 21.5
b20btec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

ROAR does still use the 21.5, some have said it's because they don't KEEP UP with the times, and didn't follow the US VTA when they changed. Add to that under ROAR's rules, it's ANY "Roar Approved" 21.5.

The COOL thing about ROAR is, if you are using ROAR rules, you can (and are encouraged) to modify them to your track/clubs needs. (So if you have a TINY track and wanted to run 25.5 instead, or had a HUGE track and wanted to run 17.5, you CAN)

BUT - at upper level events they would be required to run the rules as written (ie: NATIONALS, REGIONALS, etc)

(Out here in parts of CALIF. we call this "OUTLAW VTA"
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would make absolutely sure about the VTA rules the track uses before buying your electronics. Although you say it is a ROAR track, that doesn't necessarily mean that they don't use USVTA rules for VTA. Best to be 100% sure about what their specific rules are.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
I would make absolutely sure about the VTA rules the track uses before buying your electronics. Although you say it is a ROAR track, that doesn't necessarily mean that they don't use USVTA rules for VTA. Best to be 100% sure about what their specific rules are.
+1 - because then your motor choice is EASY - NOVAK

You only have to decide if you want the Original SS type - a Ballistic - or a VULCAN

you can go w/ a NOVAK "Factory Rebuild" for a pretty good price too
Old 08-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Were are you planning on racing, just ask them what motors they allow. Here at WCRC, Cal Raceway and TQ we run 21.5, but if you go to Camarillo they run 25.5, so just ask were you plan on running.
Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

ESC of choice would be the Hobbywing Justock for VTA. Super easy to program and cheap. You can get one from Falconsekido.com for 49.95 and if you use th promo code RCT4U, you can save a few more bucks.

Motor in 21.5 kinda doesn't matter, IMO.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #11
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys, great advise for a newbie. We plan on running at Leisure Hours here in Illinois, and Hobbytown[no real rules, run what ya brung] I'll check on LH vta rule interpretation. Might have to rethink. Whats the best usvta esc/motor combination?
greg32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg32 View Post
Thanks guys, great advise for a newbie. We plan on running at Leisure Hours here in Illinois, and Hobbytown[no real rules, run what ya brung] I'll check on LH vta rule interpretation. Might have to rethink. Whats the best usvta esc/motor combination?
If I had to guess, 95% of the VTA cars at Leisure, would be full USVTA legal. Gary Forbes (trytowin on here) runs quite a bit down there, or Peter Kerr and Mark Davis would be more than helpful. Also, talk to Mike Nelson at the track (Leisure) for help with electronic selection.

I would recommend a GTB2 and Ballistic or a new Edge/Ballistic combo.

The Hobbywing esc or SP Reventon are a good choice when buying components separately, keep in mind, it will cost just as much when buying components "al a carte" separately, you may pay more then a combo set.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
ROAR does still use the 21.5, some have said it's because they don't KEEP UP with the times..."
From the 2013 ROAR rule book :

8.7.10.2 Motor and Battery Rules:
 25.5 turn brushless with 2S 7.4v lipo battery. ROAR Approved Non Timing speed control Level 3, 4 & 5 events shall only use this combo.
Rojna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #14
Tech Elite

I thought my ears were ringing

As mentioned earlier:

Not knowing where you live at, I would check with your local guys/track as to what they are running.

95% or better run USVTA rules @ Leisure

more info: www.usvintagetransam.com

more, more info: The 2012 ROAR Onroad Carpet and Asphalt Nationals, and the 2013 Onroad Carpet Nats were won by cars that were USVTA legal.

If your having a hard time finding a '68 Camaro body, call Leisure Hours Hobbies, 815-439-1477 (ask for the r/c counter) they might have some on their shelf.

Welcome to the club !
Old 08-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
From the 2013 ROAR rule book :

8.7.10.2 Motor and Battery Rules:
 25.5 turn brushless with 2S 7.4v lipo battery. ROAR Approved Non Timing speed control Level 3, 4 & 5 events shall only use this combo.
Cool, this looks like just ONE of the revised Rules updates, last updated Aug 19.2013

I hope people are reading some of these changes... (some sound silly, some are long time needed)