R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default "New" Hpi RS4

Hey everyone.New to this forum-first post.Not new to the r/c world.I bought my first hobby grade back in 1987.Showing my age.Of course it was the infamous Tamiya BlackFoot.And a bunch of cars,trucks,boats & airplanes since then.Anyway I've been wanting to get a cheap on road touring car again.Got to searching eBay an came upon a brand new, never ever run HPI RS4 Pro.This thing has not a scratch on it anywhere.I won the auction for a grand total of $99 shipped to my door.It included the Duratrax esc, Futaba S3001 servo & a new never run Phantom super stock motor.I installed an older Futaba 72 MHz radio in it.I ran it over the weekend for the maiden run with a 4400 mah 2s lipo.I am pretty happy with the way the car runs & handles.I wanted something to rip up & down my long concrete driveway.I have my Slash LCG Platinum edition for off road adventures.I have some new goodies ordered for this car to make it my own.Stayed tuned for the transformation into and American muscle car.
Ooopppps- cant post pics yet.Oh we'll,guess this is my intro to this new forum!!!
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

hey, welcome. Awesome car by the way, would love to see pics. When you can post them.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Nice grab on that ebay car! I was eyeing it but I had just picked one up. It got the other never run Pro listed the week before for $102.

I have two now and I'm going to put electronics in my 2nd one in the next week or so. I'm just waiting on a motor for it.

Funny thing is the Pro I have is the first hobby grade car I ever bought growing up. It has been sitting for a bit but I'm going to get it back on the road soon. Now I have another one that has never been run. It may just end up on a shelf but you never know. It is just so clean and new I don't really want to gouge up the chassis!

Currently the only RS4 I'm running is an RS4 Rally. It was mine that I handed down to my son. It has a fanless Vapor Pro and a Tekin 6300kv in it and it's quite fast!

Here are some pictures of the Rally (Almost the same as the Pro).

I don't know how this guy is reading a map and driving but he's getting it done.

And this is my Pro (My original baby):

The body needs some love:

The diffs also need some love (I have a set of gear diff I'm going to drop in):

I can post pictures of the new Pro when I get it back together. The previous owner assembled the suspension incorrectly so I decided to take it apart and rebuild it to make sure everything was good to go. It is going to be my winter project.

Mike
MikeGozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Schweeeeetttt. I really like the look of that pro.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Thanks man. I can't wait to get it completed and on the road.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I still have 2 Pro2s. One is blinged out. I was a avid HPI fan. I had the RS which I converted to the RS4. I later bought the Pro2, then a Pro3, and later the Pro4. I could not get the Pro4 to work at all. After a year and a half of headaches I tried Xray and loved it. Sold all my HPI cars execpt the Pro2s. I have had 5 Xray cars since. Still running Xray.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I had a pro-3 when they first came out. Fun car for the time.
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 355 (100%+)

I miss mine
Old 08-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus Racer View Post
I still have 2 Pro2s. One is blinged out. I was a avid HPI fan. I had the RS which I converted to the RS4. I later bought the Pro2, then a Pro3, and later the Pro4. I could not get the Pro4 to work at all. After a year and a half of headaches I tried Xray and loved it. Sold all my HPI cars execpt the Pro2s. I have had 5 Xray cars since. Still running Xray.
Hey if you happen to have any left over 32t gear diff housings shoot me a pm. I'd like to convert my pro to gear diff before I put it back on the road. For the tunability of it mostly.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #10
Tech Regular

So what would you guys think of me running the 60amp Flux Vapor Pro with the 4 pole Vector 4000kv motor on my Pro? I can only fit a 2s battery in there so that is all I'd be running with it.

Would it be too much torque? Will I be ripping belts to shreds? Dose anyone have a spur & pinion combo recommendation (I'll be using 48p sets if that matters)?

Thanks in advanced and I'm new to brushless stuff (I just picked up a WR8 this year) so thus all my silly questions! I have a spare Flux combo from the WR8 now and I'd like to put it to use if it won't destroy the car. I also have the Castle link that I can dial down the punch with if that will make it more suitable.

Mike
Old 08-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Should work fine
Old 08-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
Tech Regular

do they make the Kevlar belts for the RS4 like they do the Sprint 2? If so, definitely invest in a set while you're rebuilding. If not, you'll definitely be fine with that setup (as far as power/torque goes) especially with the tune-ability you have with the Castle Link. I find its a good idea to adjust the punch a little, even if you're not overpowering as it makes acceleration much better, which you've probably already discovered.
wareagle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
Should work fine
Cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle84 View Post
do they make the Kevlar belts for the RS4 like they do the Sprint 2? If so, definitely invest in a set while you're rebuilding. If not, you'll definitely be fine with that setup (as far as power/torque goes) especially with the tune-ability you have with the Castle Link. I find its a good idea to adjust the punch a little, even if you're not overpowering as it makes acceleration much better, which you've probably already discovered.
I'm pretty sure I remember reading that someone made a set for them. I'll have to do some searching to find out.

So I really haven't tweaked the ESC much yet. I have one in my WR8 that I run often and I have only really adjusted the break force and the auto lipo setting. The WR8 absolutely rips on 3s! 2s also rips the tires loose off the line with ease so that is why I was asking about the Pro being able to handle it.

I use the WR8 mostly for drifting in loose gravel/dirty parking lots so I never felt the need to adjust the punch on it. I will adjust it on the Pro though just for piece of mind.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wow, i was a HPI fan too back in the day, i had an RS4 Sport, and then got the RS4 Pro2, i really miss the Pro2...
1990s Futaba FXT stadium racer - Mint condition!
And a bunch of other RC kits for me and my kids...yeah...my kids...
Cadman1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
Tech Initiate

I got all the goodies I ordered for this car.Painted up a Protoform Camaro body for it.Anyone know where I can get some spare belts for the RS4? I have some 48p gears for it- but with those gears installed the belt rubs on the motor can.The 64p gears look fragile on the spur gear.They have held up on my blown clean concrete driveway.I just came in from running a pack through it with the new add-ons.I forgot how smooth & quiet these belt cars are as compared to my Slash4x4.Hopefully can get some before & after pics posted shortly.
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote