R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-13-2005, 11:08 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default tc4 or pro4 or other ?

well, I was originally looking into getting an electric onroad, then I came upon a nitro rs4 which I got for free from my dad and planned on running and getting an r40 to start racing. But then I went to the local track to talk to the guys there and they dont have a nitro onroad class, only electric, so now I'm back looking into electrics,
I've looked at both the tc3, tc4, and pro4 kits.
which would be the best for someone just starting into onroad racing and just starting into electric?

if there is another electric car you recomend, please list it as well.
thanks
pedro
pedro_sandchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:12 PM   #2
Tech Master

Any of these are fine:
Hara edition Pro4
2005 Spec Pro4
Pro4 1.1 version
TC4
FT TC4 (but not released yet)

O love my pro4, but when i drove a tc4 i also too loved the feel of it. The tc4 is alot easier to drive.
axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:32 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to FlyinGT Send a message via Yahoo to FlyinGT
Default Belts mayb ??

does the car have to a be a shaft drive..??
as all u have mentioned are shafties..

i go for the pro4 for a shaft car

an for a belt car u can't go past a TAMIYA ..TRF415...or even the new Yokomo BD
FlyinGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 11:46 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Since most of the top cars cars out there are equally competitive.....a big deciding factor should be which cars your local hobby shop or track support parts wise...there's nothing worse than having your race day end early because of a 2 dollar part that you can't get

1/10 Scale: Associated B-5(rear motor)...Tekin RSX Gen-2 W/8.5t... Savox SC-1258-TG Servo
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:00 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

shaft or belt doesnt really matter to me, I just listed those because those are the ones I have access to here locally.
i'll look into the tamya and yokamo to see if any of the shops around here carry them.
they also had a losi xxx-s, how does it compare to the pro4 and such?
thanks
pedro
pedro_sandchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:50 AM   #6
Tech Addict

XXX-S Losi is an older car now so I wouldn't recomend that route .... their new car is the JRXS I think but never seen one

U can't really go wrong with Pro4, 415, tc4 ... though would prob go for the factory kit before standard, T1FK05 ... All competitive and in the right hands all can win ...!
acutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:04 AM   #7
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

Heres just a suggestion and my reasons.

I suggest you get the AE RC10TC4 for reasons.
1) It is affordable
2) It is upgradable once you get the hang of it.
3) It is competative
4) It is durable (you want a durable car at first)
5) Parts are availble at every Hobby Shop I have ever been into.
6) Easy to learn on car
7) Once you have built and re-built the car three times, You know where everything goes.
8) There is plenty of help on RC TECH so if you get in a jam there are guys to answer those questions.
9) It needs no upgrades at first so save your Money on batteries and good electronics. HOP UPS eat your wallet and probably won't help you.

Now as far as electronics goes...If you think you are pretty good then I say buy once hurt once and get a good ESC and servo.
Two choices I like for both are
ESC's
1) Novak GTX durable and has everything you need
2) LRP Quantum Comp 2 Same reasons as above
Both should give you long life and not need replacing for a good long time.
Servo's
1) Futaba S9550 low profile and is digital with metel gears..
2) Hitec 5625 cheaper than most digitals out there..
Both shoudl give you long life and not need replacing for a good long time.

These choices are not what I run but from my experiences in buying five times to buy what works great and doesn't need to be replaced all the time.
Here is what I run
GM Racing SX12 just cause it is small and it has every feature that is available
Ko Propo PSD 2363 and 2343 because they are fast and they can take alot of abuse. But both are expensive.
Hope this has helped you.
-Stephen <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 11:27 AM   #8
Tech Master

Pedro,

The TC4 is an awesome car...first time i drove it (carpet) it didn't do to well. But on ashlat this car is DIALED. I'm sure the tc4 is very fast on carpet, iv'e seen it myself. But the tc4 is a great car to kick off you electric career. It has many hop-ups you can get, not to mention the BMI and FT conversion will be a great investment. But i like the tub chassis due to it's durabilty.

Electronics:
I agree with Mr. Shookie the novak GTX is a great esc at a great cost. As for servos i really love my ko 2343, very strong servo. Trust me if you get the tc4 ans start investing in high end electronics now you won't regret it in the future.

The pro4 is an awesome car as well...it is one of the best out of the box cars out there...not to mention one of the cheapest cars out there, you'll probably only find the pro4 and the tc4 right under $300. Like I said whatever car you pick it will be fine. HPI and Team Associated have been known to be user friendly to those not as experinced.

Hope this helps,
Axel
axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 04:18 PM   #9
Tech Adept

well im a bit of an associated fan when it comes to onroad..i personally love the tc3 ( never driven a tc4) and i have no doubt at all the the tc4 will be extremely fast...tc4 ft should be an awsome car and have no doubt it will be still winning races in 3 years time....
sherman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 10:24 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Superkidracer82

the xxx-sG+ is the same as the pro4 except belt driven. if you want id get the JRX-S or wait and get the hotbodies cyclone
Superkidracer82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:53 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GReddy

if we had a track here id definetly get the jrx-s or the future "416"

and yea just get what ever car that your LHS has more parts for but as a first car you should get a tc4 becuase it has a tub chassis so if you crash it wont be as bad

plus later on you can upgrade to CF chassis plates if you want
GReddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 03:29 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Get a Pro 4....

it's lighter (for stock racing) it's cheaper, and comes with eveything. Parts don't wear out as fast and it has better tolerances. Buy the time you upgrade to all the Team Factory parts you could get two Pro 4s. Get a used one and buy my parts I have listed in the sell/trade forum. It's a great deal and it will be like new. Both cars do react well to set up changes, but I would not say that both are not the easiest to get dialed fast. I have both the TC4/Pro 4 and vertical ball studs make it a little harder, but I like the added adjustments. I think the XXX-S is the easiest to drive and setup for a beginner. My two cents.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 11:55 AM   #13
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superkidracer82
the xxx-sG+ is the same as the pro4 except belt driven. if you want id get the JRX-S or wait and get the hotbodies cyclone
what!!!!!!!!!!
Last I knew the xxxs did not have a carbon fibre chassis or a top plate it ha has a tub type chassis......
And the motor positions are both different on the xxxs and pro4. i say theres a big time difference between the two other then one is shaft and one is belt driven

I would go with the tc4 and if you can wait I would get the fT tc4.
jabberjaw is offline   Reply With Quote