Search
Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TRF418

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 12:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I've also asked him on Facebook. See what he says

He has also promised setup sheets from Luxembourg. Be great for me, quite similar track to my current club.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

(Scott that you?)

Yes. Preparing for the BFTR in Camarillo!
Old 06-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ittjv
32mm
Thank you very much.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:14 AM
Tech Elite

Queries on spurs seem to come up every three pages or so in this thread, but I'm interested in the other end - straw poll - what pinions do you use? Anyone using 48 instead of 64pitch?

I've started with kawada super ex and super duralumin 64p and are having quite a bit of trouble with damage to the pinions - spurs are fine oddly!

The track I run on is outdoors and not the cleanest, also runs 1/5th scale, so the rubber debris left on the track is quite hard. Even my diff gear and pulleys pick up crap that I have to fish out with a sharp blade.

Painful. I'm actually thinking of scrapping/returning my 64p stuff and going to 48p for more durability. Probably better choice of ratios for 13.5t blinky anyway.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

Get a piece of scotch tape and stick it underneath to block all those chassis openings and trap some of the debris that makes it there. Change every run. More than that I don't think can be done.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

Anybody know where i can get a setup from one of the trf guys from the worlds warmup race. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Don't have one sorry, and the page for petitrc has it's links stuffed right now. Diverts to Evo6.

You could try Jilles "base" 418 setup from his JG Racing Facebook page?
Old 06-10-2014, 08:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanzo3
What other spur gears fit with the 418 (besides Kawada and Panaracer)? Anyone try ARC spurs?
http://www.speedtechhobbies.com/inde...roduct_id=2309
These work well.
Use spacers in lieu of the e-clip.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cplus
Don't have one sorry, and the page for petitrc has it's links stuffed right now. Diverts to Evo6.

You could try Jilles "base" 418 setup from his JG Racing Facebook page?
Just took a look at that setup. Pretty different from what i run. Only 2 questions. On his droop settings where is he measuring to. (Assuming the car is sitting on blocks) and 2nd on his shims is he accounting for the built in 1mm in his numbers
Old 06-10-2014, 10:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by xrayaustin
Just took a look at that setup. Pretty different from what i run. Only 2 questions. On his droop settings where is he measuring to. (Assuming the car is sitting on blocks) and 2nd on his shims is he accounting for the built in 1mm in his numbers
Go back one page to see how I am pretty sure he is measuring.

I have also questioned him on the spacers via Facebook. Considering Jilles is the tech head in the team when it comes to setup, I expect he is allowing for the new hex ball. Ie: 2mm is 2+1mm if using old style.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Go back one page to see how I am pretty sure he is measuring.

I have also questioned him on the spacers via Facebook. Considering Jilles is the tech head in the team when it comes to setup, I expect he is allowing for the new hex ball. Ie: 2mm is 2+1mm if using old style.
Thanks a ton I figured that's how he was measuring his droop. And just to make sure if he says 2 mm on the ballstudd. That means an extra 2mm shim or just 1+1 built in?

Also when measuring. Are u unhooking shocks and sway bars or just shocks.

Last edited by xrayaustin; 06-11-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

I know the question was directed towards someone else but I use to unhook everything to set downstop but eventually started setting the car up with every on. I even ditched the setup wheels and now use the tires I'm racing with to set ride height. After going about it this way I notice a difference in my car in a positive way.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Tech Elite

Makes sense to me. Set the car up as your going to run. Measuring everything unhooked other than toe and steering doesn't make sense to me. The tyres you use change in diameter between brands and wear, so ride height will alter (and camber also, but minor) which you need to compensate for. And then droop needs to be altered to suit!

If nothing else, I think ride height should definitely be set with the tyres you plan to run and droop should be set with everything connected (wheels off obviously!)

I'm pretty novice with TC and don't even have a great setup station. I use (very accurate) verniers, blocks and height gauges, a 4 sided (well eight technically) camber gauge and a bit of nouse. Setup wheels would be nice for more accurate camber, but the car runs true, has good traction and stability and I'm not noticing drastic wear on the tyres.

Even if I got, say, set up wheels, I would still check camber with the tyres on afterwards.

I also have more important things to work on other than chasing set up!

Last edited by cplus; 06-12-2014 at 05:47 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

Makes sense to me. Set the car up as your going to run. Measuring everything unhooked other than toe and steering doesn't make sense to me. The tyres you use change in diameter between brands and wear, so ride height will alter (and camber also, but minor) which you need to compensate for. And then droop needs to be altered to suit!

If nothing else, I think ride height should definitely be set with the tyres you plan to run and droop should be set with everything connected (wheels off obviously!)

I'm pretty novice with TC and don't even have a setup station. I use (very accurate) verniers, blocks and height gauges, a 4 sided (well eight technically) camber gauge and a bit of nouse. Setup wheels would be nice for more accurate camber, but the car runs true, has good traction and stability and I'm not noticing drastic wear on the tyres.

Even if I got, say, set up wheels, I would still check camber with the tyres on afterwards.

I also have more important things to work on other than chasing set up!
So u say leave everything attached but yet on the pictures u posted back a page ur shocks aren't connected lol. I'm going to leave everything attached when I set it
Old 06-11-2014, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Checking camber with tires on can be misleading very easily as rims are not perfectly true or have tiny differences from moulding, etc.

Camber is also a measure of the way suspension is going to work rather than how the tires sit on the car (I guess what I mean here is that camber tells you how the car is going to sit on the tires not the other way around).

Measuring things on a setup station can pinpoint problems not so evident when measuring things on the car ready to race. I quickly check everything after a run, and if the car behaved and there are no obvious issues, I leave it alone. If there are obvious problems during a run, I start checking on the bench, but if I can't see/find anything, it's setup station time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.