Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TRF418

Old 07-06-2014, 09:30 AM
  #1321  
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,974
Default

Originally Posted by cplus View Post
Wow - just from a diff....!

New bulkheads too - basically throw out the whole spine then.

Here's hoping for a 418WE/V6 then
So, are they running Xray diffs now? 'cos I want royalties.
niznai is offline  
Old 07-06-2014, 11:29 AM
  #1322  
Tech Master
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,916
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by niznai View Post
So, are they running Xray diffs now? 'cos I want royalties.
They've been using the same diff successfully for some time now. Why is it the magic bullet now? Whatever it is, they got a completely new car out there. Can we still call it a 418?
inpuressa is offline  
Old 07-06-2014, 11:50 AM
  #1323  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: santa monica / manchester
Posts: 1,378
Default

Originally Posted by inpuressa View Post
They've been using the same diff successfully for some time now. Why is it the magic bullet now? Whatever it is, they got a completely new car out there. Can we still call it a 418?
Lets see some clear pics, from the small bits I've seen it looks very similar (devil in the detail though)

Let's just see how the momentum carries on to the world champion race
Qatmix is offline  
Old 07-07-2014, 04:49 AM
  #1324  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,673
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Anyone else find the motor bulkhead sitting there with the spur attached a little odd?

Not the way I'd disassemble the car myself - unless Jilles was changing the way the spur gear mounts? Apparently he did change to the prototype parts on the Sunday?

cplus is offline  
Old 07-07-2014, 05:56 AM
  #1325  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: santa monica / manchester
Posts: 1,378
Default

That is a kit part, he has just kept the spur assembly screwed on, I suppose he has removed the other sides motor mount.

Here is a close up of the rear of the car, the bulkheads look the same, (Although they may be a slightly different height.

The diff looks like it has a larger chamber than the current one.

Qatmix is offline  
Old 07-07-2014, 06:28 AM
  #1326  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,673
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
That is a kit part, he has just kept the spur assembly screwed on, I suppose he has removed the other sides motor mount.
Yeah that was my point, it looks like the stock part, but he must be removing the motor mount on the other side to bother pulling it off like that.

Can't see any other reason why you would disassemble that way - but then again, I'm not world champion and he is
cplus is offline  
Old 07-07-2014, 06:32 AM
  #1327  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,673
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
Who's car is that though? It's not one of the top three TRF guys is it?, so might not be a prototype fitted car.

I thought it might have been MR at first, but the battery and pit board are both wrong.
cplus is offline  
Old 07-07-2014, 08:23 AM
  #1328  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (77)
 
artwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 3,298
Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default

It is exciting to see the Tamiya boys with such pace. I know they are running some new stuff...but don't get it twisted the 418 is a great car out of the box both outside and inside on the carpet. The car has great balance and feels great. I think Tamiya kinda lost their way a bit with the 417, but they got it right with the 418.
artwork is offline  
Old 07-07-2014, 09:08 AM
  #1329  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: santa monica / manchester
Posts: 1,378
Default

Originally Posted by artwork View Post
It is exciting to see the Tamiya boys with such pace. I know they are running some new stuff...but don't get it twisted the 418 is a great car out of the box both outside and inside on the carpet. The car has great balance and feels great. I think Tamiya kinda lost their way a bit with the 417, but they got it right with the 418.
I agree, I am not in any way bothered about the upgrades, I just am interested in seeing what they have done to help it go faster for the TRF guys. These changes are to help the guys win the worlds, I would expect all teams to be trying new parts all of the time.

After a slow day at work I have managed to piece together a few things to have an idea on the new motor mount change. I will post it up later.
Qatmix is offline  
Old 07-07-2014, 10:11 AM
  #1330  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (78)
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,362
Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Default

Marc is smiling again lol
Raman is offline  
Old 07-07-2014, 12:45 PM
  #1331  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,326
Default

Kinda disappointing that all you see are people and race track pics in the ETS galleries. We need some chassis pics as a consumer I think it's ok to release it now that the race is over. Or will they keep everything secret until the worlds?
redbones is offline  
Old 07-07-2014, 12:53 PM
  #1332  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 218
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by redbones View Post
Kinda disappointing that all you see are people and race track pics in the ETS galleries. We need some chassis pics as a consumer I think it's ok to release it now that the race is over. Or will they keep everything secret until the worlds?
Of course they will hide them...
thejo3 is offline  
Old 07-07-2014, 01:43 PM
  #1333  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (32)
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,269
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Worlds is coming up and they just whipped Yokomo for the first time in 3 years and made XRay look like an entry level car on their home track. I think it's reasonable if they want to hold on to their secrets a while longer.
syndr0me is offline  
Old 07-07-2014, 01:56 PM
  #1334  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: GP
Posts: 371
Default

Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Worlds is coming up and they just whipped Yokomo for the first time in 3 years and made XRay look like an entry level car on their home track. I think it's reasonable if they want to hold on to their secrets a while longer.
I think yokomo may have been sandbagging just a touch. They didn't need to win this ets race.
HawaiiBob is offline  
Old 07-07-2014, 02:05 PM
  #1335  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (77)
 
artwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 3,298
Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by HawaiiBob View Post
I think yokomo may have been sandbagging just a touch. They didn't need to win this ets race.
So you think Yokomo spent a bunch of money to fly the entire team to Slovakia just to get beat by the guys from Tamiya?

Marc with a good car and some new found confidence seems like a bad idea to me...I mean based on his previous three World Championship titles.

I would think that handing the world another lose would have worked a little better in Yokomo's favor. Think about how crushed the team would have been if they still lost to Ronald even with all of their new little upgrades. That would have sent a much bigger message in my opinion.
artwork is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.