Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TRF418

Old 09-16-2013, 01:28 AM
  #106  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (34)
 
Typeone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bakersfield, Ca
Posts: 907
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Do you guys think the 418 arms, front c hubs, and swaybars would fit on the 417? It looks like a great car but if I have a 417 with the smokem conversion and chassis I see no point unless the 417 and 418 parts are not interchangeable. Also what does the 20t center gears do for the car vs the 417's gears?
Typeone is offline  
Old 09-16-2013, 01:58 AM
  #107  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 321
Default

Originally Posted by Typeone View Post
Do you guys think the 418 arms, front c hubs, and swaybars would fit on the 417? It looks like a great car but if I have a 417 with the smokem conversion and chassis I see no point unless the 417 and 418 parts are not interchangeable. Also what does the 20t center gears do for the car vs the 417's gears?
Would be surprised if they didn't, but no one will know until they are released.
Smartypants is offline  
Old 09-16-2013, 03:00 AM
  #108  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (9)
 
haura415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 210
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Velocitygt View Post
Hahahaha
haura415 is offline  
Old 09-16-2013, 07:43 AM
  #109  
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: santa monica / manchester
Posts: 1,375
Default

Originally Posted by Typeone View Post
Do you guys think the 418 arms, front c hubs, and swaybars would fit on the 417? It looks like a great car but if I have a 417 with the smokem conversion and chassis I see no point unless the 417 and 418 parts are not interchangeable. Also what does the 20t center gears do for the car vs the 417's gears?
Well the mounts all seem to be the same so I would say they probably fit (Although wont be able to check until they are out). The most Tamiya suspension arms are all sort of the same size, you can still fit 417 arms on a 414
Qatmix is offline  
Old 09-16-2013, 08:54 AM
  #110  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (32)
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,269
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Meh.

That's all I've got. Sorry.
syndr0me is offline  
Old 09-16-2013, 08:58 AM
  #111  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (78)
 
Raman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 4,250
Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Default

418 is being displayed with the traditional TRF dampers / not the works / aeration.. hmm
Raman is offline  
Old 09-16-2013, 09:03 AM
  #112  
Tech Adept
 
NItrox416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 170
Default

Originally Posted by Raman View Post
418 is being displayed with the traditional TRF dampers / not the works / aeration.. hmm
yes and it neither have the new short shocks of the tb04....
From the images I notice that only the rear shock tower is new, and the front one?? Is that of the 417?
NItrox416 is offline  
Old 09-16-2013, 09:05 AM
  #113  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (32)
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,269
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

What's interesting is that in one of the pictures, there's a CAD image of the front of the car that doesn't match the car being displayed. It shows the front shock tower with 2 locating pins and 2 screws, Yokomo style.
syndr0me is offline  
Old 09-16-2013, 10:21 AM
  #114  
Tech Master
iTrader: (34)
 
Csaari77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,500
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

I HATE the look of the servo mount? Are the motor mount, bulkeads, and servo mount keyed like they did with the 417 V5? I wish they would have added a place to mount a transponder on the new carbon bumber support.

Is it possible they are only displaying a prototype and not the final kit version?

All in all, I'm not sure how excited I am...
Csaari77 is offline  
Old 09-16-2013, 10:30 AM
  #115  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (1)
 
EricW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Meriden, Ct
Posts: 1,921
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Does Tamiya offer 60 month financing so I can buy this new kit?
EricW is offline  
Old 09-16-2013, 10:43 AM
  #116  
CL
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (34)
 
CL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 823
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by EricW View Post
Does Tamiya offer 60 month financing so I can buy this new kit?
60 months financing would not work. The car would be obsolete in 12 months. Hahhahahaha
CL is offline  
Old 09-16-2013, 11:23 AM
  #117  
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
iTrader: (6)
 
kentech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 933
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Raman View Post
418 is being displayed with the traditional TRF dampers / not the works / aeration.. hmm
Originally Posted by NItrox416 View Post
yes and it neither have the new short shocks of the tb04....
From the images I notice that only the rear shock tower is new, and the front one?? Is that of the 417?
Yes it has the same dampers as usual on TRF cars. Which means you get what the factory team run 99% of the time. These dampers are better spec than the Works dampers. And aeration dampers have so far really only been used at 2 races last year. They have tested shorter dampers but decided to use the normal both on the 417 in races and now so far on the new 418.

What I would have liked to see is that they'd lowered the whole damper instead by lowering the mounting point to the arm.

Regarding the damper stays they're both new according to the Tamiya product information. And they're both in that picture as well, the front one is just mounted to the bulkheads.


Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
What's interesting is that in one of the pictures, there's a CAD image of the front of the car that doesn't match the car being displayed. It shows the front shock tower with 2 locating pins and 2 screws, Yokomo style.
I have seen no CAD where you could see that definitely was the case? But there are differences between the CAD's and the actual car, like the front uprights. Remember the CAD's were pubished 1 month ago, the car is displayed today, so details change.

Originally Posted by Csaari77 View Post
I HATE the look of the servo mount? Are the motor mount, bulkeads, and servo mount keyed like they did with the 417 V5? I wish they would have added a place to mount a transponder on the new carbon bumber support.

Is it possible they are only displaying a prototype and not the final kit version?

All in all, I'm not sure how excited I am...
Upper bulkheads are keyed to lower bulkheads yes. Tamiya usually display a car fully production spec with only production parts so I think that's the case this year also. I do agree on the servo mount but you could (probably) Always use the V5 mount.


But I find it strange anyone should be surprised or disappointed today when the CAD's were published some time ago. Looking at that we all know what it would look like. I'm not super excited either (have not been over a TC for some time now), but then again they did change more than I expected from the 417 to the 418. I'm sure it will again be a good improvement on the track though as it usually is with the TRF line.
kentech is offline  
Old 09-16-2013, 11:34 AM
  #118  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (17)
 
Tron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Aliso Viejo, CA
Posts: 902
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

I can't tell much of a difference between the 417 OG that I have and the 418.
Tron is offline  
Old 09-16-2013, 12:09 PM
  #119  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (32)
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,269
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by kentech View Post
I have seen no CAD where you could see that definitely was the case? But there are differences between the CAD's and the actual car, like the front uprights. Remember the CAD's were pubished 1 month ago, the car is displayed today, so details change.
Take a look at the CAD image in the lower right hand corner of this picture. Definitely a different design than the production car.

The track will tell the real story. There are a lot of little things that I had hoped to see improved that have gone untouched. I'll probably sit this one out for a while unless they really show something spectacular on the track.
syndr0me is offline  
Old 09-16-2013, 12:18 PM
  #120  
Tech Adept
 
NItrox416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 170
Default

Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Take a look at the CAD image in the lower right hand corner of this picture. Definitely a different design than the production car.

The track will tell the real story. There are a lot of little things that I had hoped to see improved that have gone untouched. I'll probably sit this one out for a while unless they really show something spectacular on the track.
Me too, in addition to that I would say that how happened for the v5 if you upgrade your 417 with few part you will get a car very near to this 418.
NItrox416 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.