Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TRF418

Old 01-04-2014, 05:37 PM
  #436  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (8)
 
narcotiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 452
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by kerry View Post
Anyone making aluminum front end parts for the 418 yet?
I would steer clear from aluminium c-hubs and knuckles, aluminium doesn't snap but it does bend and you'll never be able to spot/find the bent section. The plastic parts also flex a little bit under cornering forces which gives you traction!

Originally Posted by c2tcardin View Post
So I'm going to order some Tamiya "C" hubs but I'm also thinking of getting some new springs. I though the stock springs were too soft so I swapped them for the set I had on the 417, Tamiya Whites (Extra Stiff) on the front and Tamiya Blue (Stiff) from the 53440 on road spring set. Everyone here seems to favor the HPI Silvers but I'm unsure which ones to order, does anyone have a part number for them or perhaps the part number for the Ride Red's?
HPI silver part number : 6543
RIDE red part number : 28013
narcotiks is offline  
Old 01-04-2014, 05:51 PM
  #437  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 129
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by narcotiks View Post
I would steer clear from aluminium c-hubs and knuckles, aluminium doesn't snap but it does bend and you'll never be able to spot/find the bent section. The plastic parts also flex a little bit under cornering forces which gives you traction!


HPI silver part number : 6543
RIDE red part number : 28013
Thanks for the part numbers! I'm only going to put the aluminum hubs on till I can get replacement hubs from Tamiya.
c2tcardin is offline  
Old 01-04-2014, 06:53 PM
  #438  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,447
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by c2tcardin View Post
Thanks for the part numbers! I'm only going to put the aluminum hubs on till I can get replacement hubs from Tamiya.
You racing tomorrow at HoB Max? If so I'd like to see your car. Also, HPI silvers are for asphalt mostly. At Hob Max you want to run the Tamiya springs on your car or switch to Yokomo Pink fronts and Blue rears. You may want these if you run HPI and Yokomo springs on your car. http://www.speedtechhobbies.com/inde...roduct_id=1515

The HPI and Yokomo springs are a little loose on the shocks until there is preload on them.
JimmyMac is offline  
Old 01-04-2014, 07:18 PM
  #439  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 129
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
You racing tomorrow at HoB Max? If so I'd like to see your car. Also, HPI silvers are for asphalt mostly. At Hob Max you want to run the Tamiya springs on your car or switch to Yokomo Pink fronts and Blue rears. You may want these if you run HPI and Yokomo springs on your car. http://www.speedtechhobbies.com/inde...roduct_id=1515

The HPI and Yokomo springs are a little loose on the shocks until there is preload on them.
I'll likely stop by and run the new car for a while, perhaps marshall a race or two for you guys. I have the larger diameter damper stays on my 417 already and the 418 now comes with them. I may set one of the cars up for asphalt and the other for carpet since I plan on keeping the 417. So the HPI springs will do me good in the future if I end up ordering them now.
c2tcardin is offline  
Old 01-04-2014, 07:30 PM
  #440  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NC
Posts: 4,447
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by c2tcardin View Post
I'll likely stop by and run the new car for a while, perhaps marshall a race or two for you guys. I have the larger diameter damper stays on my 417 already and the 418 now comes with them. I may set one of the cars up for asphalt and the other for carpet since I plan on keeping the 417. So the HPI springs will do me good in the future if I end up ordering them now.
Good to know they come with the large diameter cups. My last Tamiya was the 416. Hopefully this spring we will get to run in the parking lot. Should be fun!
JimmyMac is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 10:45 AM
  #441  
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Posts: 876
Default

Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Mine is now built for two or three weeks, let you Show on YouTube

youtube.com/watch?v=W7Vgft-uA_A

Please copy, why I not allowed to Show you by the link
Nice vid you have posted, i've got a 418 with the nr 11
addicted2blue is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 11:35 AM
  #442  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (8)
 
NolanP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Westmont
Posts: 2,433
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
You racing tomorrow at HoB Max? If so I'd like to see your car. Also, HPI silvers are for asphalt mostly. At Hob Max you want to run the Tamiya springs on your car or switch to Yokomo Pink fronts and Blue rears. You may want these if you run HPI and Yokomo springs on your car. http://www.speedtechhobbies.com/inde...roduct_id=1515

The HPI and Yokomo springs are a little loose on the shocks until there is preload on them.
Jimmy if you look at Marc's setup it actually has Blue/Blue from Yokomo with 400cst front and 500cst rear.

I have this on the car and plan on testing it on Friday.
NolanP is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 01:37 PM
  #443  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (8)
 
NolanP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Westmont
Posts: 2,433
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Does anyone know when the new suspension mounts come out? I know the solid pieces have a reinforced piece along the back and the split mounts have an angle for steering block adjustments. It's my first Tamiya and I don't really want to order the older mounts.
NolanP is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 02:29 PM
  #444  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (8)
 
narcotiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 452
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by NolanP View Post
Does anyone know when the new suspension mounts come out? I know the solid pieces have a reinforced piece along the back and the split mounts have an angle for steering block adjustments. It's my first Tamiya and I don't really want to order the older mounts.
Some hong kong stores have them in stock, rc market and I think rc mart. The old blocks work fine on the new car though. It will be a little while until tamiya release the full range of new blocks.
narcotiks is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 05:30 PM
  #445  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by NolanP View Post
Jimmy if you look at Marc's setup it actually has Blue/Blue from Yokomo with 400cst front and 500cst rear.

I have this on the car and plan on testing it on Friday.
Don't forget ETS was mega grip! Blue/blue makes the car very easy to drive, pink/blue will make it more aggressive and maybe better lap times
CraigM is offline  
Old 01-05-2014, 08:47 PM
  #446  
Tech Master
iTrader: (59)
 
OnRDPassion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,277
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default

I ran carpet this weekend with the 418 and made some changes to Marks set-up. I ended up using .5 of anti-squat in the front, 3mm and 3mm under the inner camber links for both front and rear along with Ride red springs. The car was DIALED. That says a lot because I usually hate running on carpet and I really enjoyed how the car felt!
OnRDPassion is offline  
Old 01-06-2014, 08:40 AM
  #447  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 129
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by OnRDPassion View Post
I ran carpet this weekend with the 418 and made some changes to Marks set-up. I ended up using .5 of anti-squat in the front, 3mm and 3mm under the inner camber links for both front and rear along with Ride red springs. The car was DIALED. That says a lot because I usually hate running on carpet and I really enjoyed how the car felt!
Good to know, to get the .5 of anti squat in the front did you remove the spacers from under the suspension blocks? Or was it something else in addition to removing the spacers? I seem to recall Mark's set up already had the spacers removed on the front. Also what was the grip like on the track you ran with this setup?
c2tcardin is offline  
Old 01-06-2014, 07:33 PM
  #448  
Tech Master
iTrader: (59)
 
OnRDPassion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,277
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by c2tcardin View Post
Good to know, to get the .5 of anti squat in the front did you remove the spacers from under the suspension blocks? Or was it something else in addition to removing the spacers? I seem to recall Mark's set up already had the spacers removed on the front. Also what was the grip like on the track you ran with this setup?
I ended up removing the .5mm spacer under the front blocks and leaving the .5mm under the rear front blocks, I guess that's technically anti-dive sorry. The grip on the carpet was medium bite. Doing the anti-dive setting and putting the 6 degree blocks on my car made my car carry a ton of speed off the straight to the point where I was not needing to let off the throttle until I was all the way around the sweeper and headed into the first set of difficult turns.
OnRDPassion is offline  
Old 01-07-2014, 08:30 AM
  #449  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 129
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I may have to try the 6 degree blocks. Would they help on a low traction carpet track?
c2tcardin is offline  
Old 01-07-2014, 04:38 PM
  #450  
Tech Master
iTrader: (59)
 
OnRDPassion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,277
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by c2tcardin View Post
I may have to try the 6 degree blocks. Would they help on a low traction carpet track?
They should help if you are needing more high speed steering.
OnRDPassion is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.