Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TRF418

Old 12-20-2013, 05:34 AM
Tech Master

Dizope, if you still have your race berry conversion for the 417 and want to sell it. Email your price shipped to California. [email protected]. Thanks
Old 12-20-2013, 06:06 AM
Tech Master

Got my 418 ready to build

Also got an interview with Marc Rheinard here with his hopes and aspirations for the 2014 championship and the TRF418

http://www.thercracer.com/2013/12/ra...-rheinard.html
Old 12-20-2013, 06:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia View Post
Dizope, if you still have your race berry conversion for the 417 and want to sell it. Email your price shipped to California. [email protected]. Thanks
Going to keep it. Thanks for asking.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Anyone know if the Roche anti-roll bar mounts for the 417 will fit this car? Or any other alternative mounts that don't move around so easily?
I believe the arc ones are a direct fit. I would steer clear of the ones that brace the bulkhead
Old 12-21-2013, 12:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Well I had my first practice day with the 418 on carpet today and wow the car was awesome! I had some engine troubles with getting the right gearing but once that was figured out it was all good. The only other thing that was weird is the front blades on the spool kept breaking but that was because of clipping a board or two. It was nice to run this car considering the last time I had run on carpet was two years ago and with a TC6 and this car was substantially better.

Tomorrow I will be going to the Tamiya America test track in California. Looking forward to seeing how the car performs out there as well.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OnRDPassion View Post
Well I had my first practice day with the 418 on carpet today and wow the car was awesome! I had some engine troubles with getting the right gearing but once that was figured out it was all good. The only other thing that was weird is the front blades on the spool kept breaking but that was because of clipping a board or two. It was nice to run this car considering the last time I had run on carpet was two years ago and with a TC6 and this car was substantially better.

Tomorrow I will be going to the Tamiya America test track in California. Looking forward to seeing how the car performs out there as well.
Hi,
Had the same problem with the front blades running on carpet, changed to gear diff filled with putty (Ride Hardness 45) and the blades are ok.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Tech Champion

Something to keep an eye on then. I only replaced one blade in the 4 days at AOC Yatabe and that was also after a crash & I ran the same blades for 2 meets since on asphalt.

If it becomes an issue the ARC R10 blades are a direct fit and they are almost impossible to remove once they are fitted to the driveshaft
Old 12-21-2013, 04:10 PM
Tech Master

So today I went to the Tamiya test track and did a little R&D. It was tough day needless to say as the grip wasn't up to where it normally is and it was cold. I did however by the end of the day end up getting the car close to what I wanted.

Front:
6 Degree C-hubs
1mm under the steering ball studs for the ackerman
450 wt oil
Ride Red springs
0mm shims under the inner camber link
1mm shims under the outer camber link
5mm Ride height
5mm Droop +1 Degree toe
C in front
B in the rear
.5 mm shim under the blocks

Rear
450 wt oil
Ride Red springs
5mm Ride height
5mm droop
4mm shims under the outer camber links
2 degrees of camber
XC front separate
C in rear
.5mm shims under the blocks

I was running with a Mazda 6 light weight body. I tried using the LTC-R and did not like it at all.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:02 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 1204 (100%+)

Anyone in the US looking to get a 418 soon? PM me
Old 12-21-2013, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bagged69chevy View Post
Craig, how did you make that access hole on the top of your ball cups? did you just grind each one by hand?
Nick you haven't noticed the my ball cups have holes mine it's been like that forever.. Easy way to put a hole on the ball cups is use body reamer...
Old 12-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by OnRDPassion View Post
So today I went to the Tamiya test track and did a little R&D. It was tough day needless to say as the grip wasn't up to where it normally is and it was cold. I did however by the end of the day end up getting the car close to what I wanted.

Front:
6 Degree C-hubs
1mm under the steering ball studs for the ackerman
450 wt oil
Ride Red springs
1mm shims under the outer camber link
5mm Ride height
5mm Droop +1 Degree toe
C in front
B in the rear
.5 mm shim under the blocks

Rear
450 wt oil
Ride Red springs
5mm Ride height
5mm droop
4mm shims under the outer camber links
2 degrees of camber
XC front separate
C in rear
.5mm shims under the blocks

I was running with a Mazda 6 light weight body. I tried using the LTC-R and did not like it at all.

No kidding it was cold, I broke out my Sorex 20's today!

I was there with today my TRF418 briefly as well, had mine built according to kit. I'm not a very good driver or mechanic so I don't have anything to contribute but I have a quick question. The ride red are they #28103 tq only has one left in stock
Old 12-21-2013, 10:58 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by torg View Post
No kidding it was cold, I broke out my Sorex 20's today!

I was there with today my TRF418 briefly as well, had mine built according to kit. I'm not a very good driver or mechanic so I don't have anything to contribute but I have a quick question. The ride red are they #28103 tq only has one left in stock
I couldn't find that item # on tq's website. I bought mine from speedtechhobbies.com. They were MR33 red which is the same as the Ride reds as well.

I didn't know anyone else was there running a 418. I bounced around 2:30 as I had more things to do later on. Next time come by and say hi!
Old 12-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Tech Champion

Jay,
Did you run kit wheelbase? And what difference did you notice with the 6deg hubs - I keep meaning to try them?
Old 12-22-2013, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Jay,
Did you run kit wheelbase? And what difference did you notice with the 6deg hubs - I keep meaning to try them?
I was running 4mm of shims in front of the rear arms and then 2 mm behind the front arms. I liked the 6 degree hubs as it seemed to give the car more steering at off power corner entry. I definitely liked them better both on carpet and on asphalt.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Anyone here ever have trouble with customs when buying from HK? My 418 is still stuck in customs in Chicago. I have bought several things from HK in the past and its usually in and out of customs in less than a day. I REALLY hope they didn't lose my $500 package.

I'm trying to wait until after Christmas to call USPS or customs since I know they are overloaded right now with the holidays. I'm hoping my package is taking a long time because they are backed up and not because they lost it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.