Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TRF418

Old 09-18-2014, 03:17 AM
  #1816  
Tech Fanatic
 
Salkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 882
Default

Simmi, is this not your setup sheet:

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/tami...urg2014030809/

It also specifies a split XC block (for the front-rear).
Salkin is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 03:23 AM
  #1817  
Tech Fanatic
 
Salkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 882
Default

Originally Posted by cplus View Post
You own a 418 - what came with it?
Yes, a pair of XC split blocks comes with the 418 kit. Along with a pair of XA split blocks.
Salkin is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 04:47 AM
  #1818  
Tech Regular
 
Simmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 307
Default

Im a Little confused because in the Manual the split Blocks is discribed as Ca and Cb mean C?

Can you simply swap the sides of the split block and get XA or A and XC or C?
Simmi is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 05:03 AM
  #1819  
Tech Fanatic
 
Salkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 882
Default

Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Im a Little confused because in the Manual the split Blocks is discribed as Ca and Cb mean C?

Can you simply swap the sides of the split block and get XA or A and XC or C?
I can understand this The number you refer to are numbers I have only seen in the manual. They are also referred to as BA31 and BA32.

I'm not concerned with those numbers, and you can see in the manual, that they are depicted with the 1C 1XC marking.

And yes, you swap them to get either C or XC. That was what was confusing me.

I have now learned, that if the setup sheet, like Marc's, specifies separate B blocks for the front-rear, you take the "1B 1XB" blocks and place them so that the "1B" is closest to the center of the chassis.

In Marc's setup, he specifies separate XC blocks for the rear-front, you take the "1C 1XCB" blocks and place them so that the "1XC" is closest to the center of the chassis.

The B or the BX simply specifies in which direction the separate "B" blocks are required to be facing.
Salkin is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 11:41 AM
  #1820  
Tech Master
iTrader: (12)
 
xrayaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Pete
Posts: 1,174
Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Default

Juat taking a glance at jilles setup from ets-luxembourg. Noticed he went back to old style droop measurement. Only thing i am still curious about is if he is running the new ball studs? And if he is does he include that +1 in his sheet or is it that amount of shims u run total

so if it says 2.5mm does that mean old ball stud with 2.5, new ball stud with 1.5 +1. Or new ball stud with 2.5 + 1 (3.5 in total).
xrayaustin is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 12:30 PM
  #1821  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (22)
 
CraigMBA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Valley of the Dirt, CA
Posts: 2,832
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

How do you guys mount the fan on the chassis? Servo tape? Shoe goo?
CraigMBA is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 01:41 PM
  #1822  
Tech Regular
 
Simmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 307
Default

@Salkin

Thanks for the explanation, drove since two years 417-418 and have always fitted the blocks the wrong way, so that always other results came out

I must say that my swapped blocks were not as bad. Last time I drive in Front B-XB and in Rear A-D. Good Grip and fast time.

Now it's time to go out and Win with the new experience

Shame on me a bit

Done my Setup ...
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF418-i-made-.jpg  
Simmi is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 02:28 PM
  #1823  
Tech Fanatic
 
Salkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 882
Default

Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
@Salkin

Thanks for the explanation, drove since two years 417-418 and have always fitted the blocks the wrong way, so that always other results came out

I must say that my swapped blocks were not as bad. Last time I drive in Front B-XB and in Rear A-D. Good Grip and fast time.

Now it's time to go out and Win with the new experience

Shame on me a bit

Done my Setup ...
Looks nice
Salkin is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 02:29 PM
  #1824  
Tech Fanatic
 
Salkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 882
Default

Originally Posted by CraigMBA View Post
How do you guys mount the fan on the chassis? Servo tape? Shoe goo?
I use this:

http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/electr...10stk/details/
Salkin is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 03:43 PM
  #1825  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,670
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by xrayaustin View Post
Juat taking a glance at jilles setup from ets-luxembourg. Noticed he went back to old style droop measurement. Only thing i am still curious about is if he is running the new ball studs? And if he is does he include that +1 in his sheet or is it that amount of shims u run total

so if it says 2.5mm does that mean old ball stud with 2.5, new ball stud with 1.5 +1. Or new ball stud with 2.5 + 1 (3.5 in total).
He told me on Facebook he always uses old style ball studs.

So you need to subtract 1mm from the numbers on his sheets if using the new ones.
cplus is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 07:26 PM
  #1826  
Tech Master
iTrader: (12)
 
xrayaustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: St. Pete
Posts: 1,174
Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Default

Originally Posted by cplus View Post
He told me on Facebook he always uses old style ball studs.

So you need to subtract 1mm from the numbers on his sheets if using the new ones.
Thanks for that
xrayaustin is offline  
Old 09-19-2014, 12:56 PM
  #1827  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (32)
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,269
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

If anybody in the US is interested in trying the Samix CF chassis that's very lightly used (only on carpet) give me a shout via PM and let's make a deal. Chassis only, didn't get the motor mount.
syndr0me is offline  
Old 09-19-2014, 01:18 PM
  #1828  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (77)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,167
Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default

I love this car. First run yesterday. Out of in road for a while and when I was it was all AE. I got talked into trying Tamiya and the 418. Couldn't be happier.
goin2drt is offline  
Old 09-20-2014, 04:33 AM
  #1829  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 57
Default Setup question

Hi.

I noticed that sometimes the basic difference in setups are the shims under the ball studs under the camber links.

What effect does the following have in the handling of the car?

1. Front - increase no. of shims under the ball stud
2. Rear - increase no. of shims under the ball stud
3. Front - shorten the camber link length
4. Rear - shorten the camber link length

Thanks.
bosschick is offline  
Old 09-20-2014, 06:50 AM
  #1830  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 72
Default

@ bosschick:
1. Increased shims --> lowered rollcenter on the front --> more steering, less rear grip, slightly more rollangle
2. lowered rollcenter rear --> more rear grip, less front grip(steering)
3 and 4:
Not that easy to answer: While pitching (braking or full acceleration) the rollcenter height of the respective axle moves up or down MORE if the camber link is shorter!
To break it down, as much as possible: With short links the car should understeer more on corner exit and oversteer more while braking!
But shorter links result also in more camber gain. In my opinion the upper effects are bigger (especially balance wise)
Worst87 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.