Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TRF418

Old 08-31-2014, 07:12 PM
  #1711  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (77)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,167
Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default

Without reading all 114 pages where would be the best place to order the 418 from? Located in Calif. If I were to get back into onroad (been out for a few years) and coming from a TC6.1 running sportsman 17.5 what extra's are a must or will the kit be just fine and competitive? Lastly, how is it getting parts? and where? I had a nightmare experience running the HB TCX when it first came out.

Thanks for helping a Tamiya newbie.
goin2drt is offline  
Old 08-31-2014, 07:29 PM
  #1712  
Tech Master
iTrader: (32)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: La Mirada, CA
Posts: 1,122
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Atechbh View Post
What would be a good FDR with the 418. 13.5 blinky fairly small high grip carpet track?
We use 4.0 in 21.5 blinky at same track
It really depends on the motor, but you'd probably be close by trying 4.0 through 4.6. I personally run 4.4 with an Orca 13.5 on a small track.

- Jose
ittjv is offline  
Old 08-31-2014, 07:37 PM
  #1713  
Tech Master
iTrader: (32)
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: La Mirada, CA
Posts: 1,122
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
Without reading all 114 pages where would be the best place to order the 418 from? Located in Calif. If I were to get back into onroad (been out for a few years) and coming from a TC6.1 running sportsman 17.5 what extra's are a must or will the kit be just fine and competitive? Lastly, how is it getting parts? and where? I had a nightmare experience running the HB TCX when it first came out.

Thanks for helping a Tamiya newbie.
You can try speedtech rc and tq rc. Both in CA.

I know you didn't ask, but unless you get the 418 for a good price, you're probably better off waiting till December for the 419.

- Jose
ittjv is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 12:18 AM
  #1714  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tustin,CA,USA
Posts: 419
Default

Originally Posted by ittjv View Post
You can try speedtech rc and tq rc. Both in CA.

I know you didn't ask, but unless you get the 418 for a good price, you're probably better off waiting till December for the 419.

- Jose

speedtech seems to be best price in California at the moment $599

Tower were selling them for <$500 a few months back, but it since popped back up. TQRC doesn't show any kits for sale, but are simply unparalleled in the speed and accuracy of service these days. So for parts, check them out.

I've heard of a few guys selling used 418s if that is of interest.
torg is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 12:19 AM
  #1715  
Tech Fanatic
 
Salkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 882
Default

Question on gearing.

Have replaced a 6.5T with a 4.5T motor. Speedo is LRP Flow Worksteam and X20 motor.

In the X20 motor manual the suggested gearing for a 4.5T on a small/big TC track is 9.5/8.5.

I have observed that most of the pro drivers using a 4.5T motor uses the 116T spur and a 28T pinion. This gives a 7.7 gearing.

So the gearing recommended by LRP and the one used by most pro drivers differ significantly.

Why is this?

I drive on a medium size asphalt track.
Salkin is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 12:43 AM
  #1716  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,670
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

I've found the LRP recommendations are very conservative for the spec motors and have ignored them. Way off.

Wouldn't be shocked if they were miles off for mod too.
cplus is online now  
Old 09-01-2014, 01:47 AM
  #1717  
Tech Fanatic
 
Salkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 882
Default

Originally Posted by cplus View Post
I've found the LRP recommendations are very conservative for the spec motors and have ignored them. Way off.

Wouldn't be shocked if they were miles off for mod too.
OK, thanks, I will ignore the LRP recommendations and use the gearing, as a starter, that I can find in relevant setup sheets.
Salkin is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 03:06 AM
  #1718  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,670
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Check Volkers FDR. He uses LRP and seems to know what he is doing
cplus is online now  
Old 09-01-2014, 03:57 AM
  #1719  
Tech Fanatic
 
Salkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 882
Default

Originally Posted by cplus View Post
Check Volkers FDR. He uses LRP and seems to know what he is doing
Yes, of course, I will do that, thanks.
Salkin is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 04:22 AM
  #1720  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,670
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

7.7-8.0 for Volker and co with 4.5's it seems.
cplus is online now  
Old 09-01-2014, 04:27 AM
  #1721  
Tech Fanatic
 
Salkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 882
Default

Originally Posted by cplus View Post
7.7-8.0 for Volker and co with 4.5's it seems.
With the spur/pinion size used by most TRF418 team drivers running 4.5T, it equals a 7.7 gearing. Seems in line with Volker and co.
Salkin is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 04:50 AM
  #1722  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,670
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

I've seen as low as 7.15 (116/30) on a Jilles set up.
cplus is online now  
Old 09-01-2014, 05:55 AM
  #1723  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 562
Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)
Default

for all the people who are not sure the Samix aluminum frame is insane !!! yesterday i test the chassi with a friend who runs with an Associated TC6.2 RSD aluminum frame and is falling in love with the 418 !!!

100g bottom plate totally sit the car on the ground !! quick, fast and awsome corner speed !!!
Quinny45 is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 06:04 AM
  #1724  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
d16dcoe45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Armonk, NY
Posts: 951
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Quinny45 View Post
for all the people who are not sure the Samix aluminum frame is insane !!! yesterday i test the chassi with a friend who runs with an Associated TC6.2 RSD aluminum frame and is falling in love with the 418 !!!

100g bottom plate totally sit the car on the ground !! quick, fast and awsome corner speed !!!
Do you think its THAT much better? I was going to start the carpet season off with my regular Raceberry Hard chassis that I've been running on asphalt but now I am thinking of switching everything over to the Samix alloy chassis.

Also--are u running the Samix motor mount & steering brace as well?

Can't wait to try the chassis now! Carpet season starts next Sat!
d16dcoe45 is offline  
Old 09-01-2014, 06:07 AM
  #1725  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (28)
 
hanulec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: @ the post office
Posts: 9,630
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Lrp 4.5 gearing should be based upon straightaway length. Ask more q on the lrp forum..
hanulec is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.