R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Tamiya TRF418 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/750348-tamiya-trf418.html)

xrayaustin 08-01-2014 09:47 PM

Admist all this banter about durability. ..

i would like to give an update from nationals. I'm running my car in 17.5 and am still trying a lot of things after the second round. As of now I'm in 5th but should be 3rd (bad blowout in the second round). I have the entire samix conversion on and is much better even in stock for those of u wondering if it would work in stock. The car is very consistent across the 6 minutes. Trying to get the car to run faster upfront currently.

Hopefully after tomorrow I can report back and say that I'm in the top 3 where I feel like me and the car of capable of being. The car drives good and handles great. Will report back later and if I can get the car better I will post my setup if somebody wants it

d16dcoe45 08-02-2014 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by xrayaustin (Post 13439889)
Admist all this banter about durability. ..

i would like to give an update from nationals. I'm running my car in 17.5 and am still trying a lot of things after the second round. As of now I'm in 5th but should be 3rd (bad blowout in the second round). I have the entire samix conversion on and is much better even in stock for those of u wondering if it would work in stock. The car is very consistent across the 6 minutes. Trying to get the car to run faster upfront currently.

Hopefully after tomorrow I can report back and say that I'm in the top 3 where I feel like me and the car of capable of being. The car drives good and handles great. Will report back later and if I can get the car better I will post my setup if somebody wants it

Who carries the Samix conversion in the States?

xrayaustin 08-02-2014 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by d16dcoe45 (Post 13440270)
Who carries the Samix conversion in the States?

Probably nobody honestly. Superior ordered me one from rc mart. Other than that im not sure

CraigMBA 08-02-2014 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by xrayaustin (Post 13439889)

The car drives good and handles great. Will report back later and if I can get the car better I will post my setup if somebody wants it

Good luck, please do.

niznai 08-02-2014 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by redbones (Post 13436638)
I read that YR and 3R uses cheap aluminum to make their parts? It'll work for most applications, but not for high stress areas.

Don't know how cheap it is, but Tamiya use a soft alloy too on all their parts. Xray is the only brand from what I have that used a harder alloy in the past. Currently it only uses it on driveshaft bones from what I can tell. And frankly, I don't think there's need for over engineering. If you can bend the alloy your driving needs improvement, not the material.

inpuressa 08-02-2014 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by CraigMBA (Post 13440329)
Good luck, please do.

+1:nod:

xrayaustin 08-02-2014 05:25 PM

Well after qualifying at the nationals is over I qualified 4th. The car is still.driving well. Needs to just be a bit more free to be where I need to be to win. But for A1 new tires free my car up so hopefully make something happen. I geared up to and the car picked up pace. Will report back after mains. A win is probably not likely as scotty is pacing the field but top 3 is definently in reach and with triple A mains anything is possible

cplus 08-02-2014 06:02 PM

Good luck mate.

Make sure you record your setup and get it posted to petitrc :)

Qatmix 08-03-2014 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by xrayaustin (Post 13441191)
Well after qualifying at the nationals is over I qualified 4th. The car is still.driving well. Needs to just be a bit more free to be where I need to be to win. But for A1 new tires free my car up so hopefully make something happen. I geared up to and the car picked up pace. Will report back after mains. A win is probably not likely as scotty is pacing the field but top 3 is definently in reach and with triple A mains anything is possible

Good luck :)

acutts 08-03-2014 09:11 AM

Finished building my car and after almost 6 years roughly away from the sport will be racing the car next Sunday for the first time.
It have a question regarding springs, I built the car with the stock springs but they feel really soft. I will be running a fast track and was wondering what a good front and rear spring would be. The 418 kit I have came with a few other tamiya spring options and when I bought it it came with RIDE black extra hard 0.333kgf/mm and purple hard 0.316kgf/mm springs. Anyone know what would be the best starting option?

Dan 08-03-2014 09:15 AM

Asphalt or carpet?

I'm using the HPI silvers on asphalt with good results.

acutts 08-03-2014 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13442237)
Asphalt or carpet?

I'm using the HPI silvers on asphalt with good results.

Sorry outdoor asphalt

inpuressa 08-03-2014 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by acutts (Post 13442249)
Sorry outdoor asphalt

You can try get your hands on a hpi silver. The old silver colored and new black coated ones are not the same, even though the part#s are. Hard to find the old ones, and the pro setups that refer to it are those. As an alternative, you can get ride reds, as they can be better depending on your track conditions.

acutts 08-03-2014 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by inpuressa (Post 13442475)
You can try get your hands on a hpi silver. The old silver colored and new black coated ones are not the same, even though the part#s are. Hard to find the old ones, and the pro setups that refer to it are those. As an alternative, you can get ride reds, as they can be better depending on your track conditions.

No where can I find ride reds or hip silvers in stock sadly. Are Hara Reds the same??

miguelito75 08-03-2014 01:07 PM

Try schumacher greens...
They are the same as the HPI silvers.